The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 07:08 AM

Default Taylor 214ce

Any thoughts on the Taylor 214ce. I have been learning on a GS Mini, but I am looking for something a little different. I really like the neck on the mini and from what I can find the neck on the 214ce is about the same. There is no place even close to me that I can try one, so I will have to order online.
Thanks,
David
Old 08-14-2020, 08:11 AM

Its a full 25.5 scale instrument.

gs mini iI think is 23.5

need to think on that
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 08-14-2020, 08:25 AM

The neck profile is very similar in feel and the nut width is identical, but the two are very different scale lengths, as noted above. The body size is different too, with the GA/-14 sized body being the same width as a dreadnought (16"). The tighter waist makes it sit "smaller" on the lap. If you are OK with a dreadnought, then a GA should work nicely for you too. The 214 gets a lot of love as a great sounding guitar and a good value.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:28 AM

My daughters love the Taylor 214ce's I bought for them years ago.

I would advise going for a used one made prior to 2007 because they are made of all solid wood, no laminates. I also strongly advise you install a K&K pickup if you plan to plug in. MUCH better than the Taylor factory system then and now.

Both of my daughter's 214ce's now sport K&K's.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
.....I also strongly advise you install a K&K pickup if you plan to plug in. MUCH better than the Taylor factory system then and now...
Agreed. In fact the omnipresent ES2 pickup is the primary reason that I have little interest in ever buying another Taylor guitar -- and I've been a big fan since my first purchase of a 414ce in 2001. They can be special ordered without electronics, but I prefer to play my guitars before buying. Since you mention an online order, try to find one without the "e" part. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2020, 08:40 AM

I had one for about 15 years, great guitar. I loved the neck, very easy to play with great action. I kept it downstairs do it was always close by as my practice guitar to save some wear on my "nicer" guitars. That being said it really opened up beautifully and received a lot of praise from good guitar players who picked it up and played some songs on it.

I traded it on Saturday for a National Radio Tone but I already miss having it close by to grab at a moment’s notice. I don’t think you can do wrong with one of the older ones. Very stable, easy to play and really good tone for the price point.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion