The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I know you're looking for something smaller than your CJ but thought I'd throw this in and hope I don't "muddy the water" by doing so?
I have an Alvarez MD60BG coming tomorrow from AMS in NJ. It's a 14 fret square shoulder dread with solid Sitka top and solid "African" Mahogany back & sides. It checks a lot of my boxes but the biggest one is the price...$600 ($700 with a LR Baggs Element VTC UST). So I'll see if it's worth keeping or send it back. Several people here on the forum have assured me it's a keeper. I hope so. Anyway...if you're interested here are the links to Alvarez and AMS:
https://www.alvarezguitars.com/guitar/md60bg/
https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ALV-MD60BG-LIST
Big larrivee fan but they're anything but light
Old 06-27-2019, 06:35 PM

Default I vote for the Larrivee OM

My OM-40 custom hog with "moonwood" top is still an excellent guitar. A month or so ago, I added an OM-40R (used for less than a grand) and since then, I have played it to the exclusion of every other guitar I own. It ticks all of the boxes for me. Amazing rich sound, plenty of bottom end, clarity, resonate, sustains forever, plays great, understated looks that I find to be simple and elegant. It does what a guitar should do for me.. .makes me want to play it a lot. I have obliged and I find that my playing has improved. I can't ask for more from a guitar. It makes me smile and helps me make music.

The OM-40R was a quick cure for GAS for me, though, if I found the right deal on an L bodied rosewood (03 or 09), I'd probably add it to the stable as a partner to my L-05.

I'm about to thin the herd of several instruments but none of my Larrivees will be on the block. Have fun in the search.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 PM

Another vote for the Martin 000-15m. Mine is very lightweight, has a nice balanced tone, and can be had on the lower end of your 1000-1500 price range.

It’s a heck of a guitar.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 06-27-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Martin 000-15m would be my pick. Just got one myself. Phenomenal guitar!
I second this recommendation and would at least try a 12 fret. They're super light and resonant. On 12 fretters Martin extends the bodies forward to join the neck at the 12 fret. The extra body area creates really nice additional tonal complexity IMO. I love mine too (000-15sm)! Play a few and pick the one you like the most.

Last edited by gmel555; 06-27-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:34 PM

As several have mentioned, the Martin 15 series has the 000-15M. And several have brought up the 12 fret option . The 000-15SM is friggin’ fantastic and, for me, almost to die for.

I’ve had two of them.

Why do I not have one now?....

I’m not that bright at relations with guitars or wives.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Another option not mentioned yet is the Blueridge BR-162. 12 fret with a solid headstock and OM size body. I just picked one up for $766 on Amazon. Had my local guy do a setup on it and it is phenomenal. Super easy to play, beautiful deep sound, I love it.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:59 PM
Guest 728

00015SM. Slothead, 12-fret. 1.75" nut. 25.5" scale. 2 1/4" saddle spacing.
It sounds and smells like chocolate.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 AM

Thanks for everyone’s input. Keep em coming. I’m really surprised by all the votes of confidence for the 15 series Martin. I love the heritage behind Martin, but have never liked the scooped mids. Does the voicing for the 15 series or an inherent property of the hog top make this an outlier with their signature sound? I also love crystalline(but not strident) highs. The all hog Martins certainly look the business.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970

Last edited by T268; 06-28-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:37 AM

Yamaha LS16 or FS3. They can be had below $800, You can buy a lot of strings with the money you save.
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 06-28-2019, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
Thanks for everyone’s input. Keep me coming. I’m really surprised by all the votes of confidence for the 15 series Martin. I love the heritage behind Martin, but have never liked the scooped mids. Does the voicing for the 15 series or an inherent property of the hog top make this an outlier with their signature sound? I also love crystalline(but not strident) highs. The all hog Martins certainly look the business.
15 series guitars (really most all hog guitars) have RICH mids, that’s why they sound so good. It’s the anti D28. I’ve had a hundred guitars and my 000-15 is the most balanced guitar across the spectrum by far.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:52 AM

Don't overlook a Martin 000-16GT....solid mahogany w/sitka top. MSRP is $1950 but can be had for under $1200 from forum sponsors.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
I love the heritage behind Martin, but have never liked the scooped mids. Does the voicing for the 15 series or an inherent property of the hog top make this an outlier with their signature sound?
I'm a Gibson guy at heart, and the 15-series guitars are the only Martins I've ever loved. Wonderful mids.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:52 AM

I like the various Larrivee option(s).

I also like the Martin 000-15M and 000-15SM options.

Larrivee L model and Taylor GA model are both excellent as well.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:11 PM

To the OP, you mention your looking for something you can use in lieu to your Collings that won't cause you back pain. You don't mention what kind of pain, so I'm guessing you're bending forward due to the weight? In your original NGD post, you mention you sold a Martin 000 before getting the Collings. Just curious if the shape might be causing more of an issue than the weight?

You also mentioned playing at church, and trying to find something you enjoy using as much as you Collings. I can relate to that. I had a Martin D18 that I loved, but I was always looking for something I could use in its place that was a bit smaller, but didn't leave me wanting. I tried many different guitars, mostly in the 000/OM shape, before settling on a Larrivee OM-40. Granted, I'm talking mahogany not rosewood, but I found that the balanced tone of a Larrivee was EXACTLY what I was looking for. In fact, it took over as my number one for some time. I only sold it upon changing careers and no longer being able to justify 2 guitars.

I tried out several Martin 000-15 and 00-15 recently and really liked them. I'd take a look if you have a chance. But I also wouldn't overlook the Larrivee OM (whether you go 40 series or standard, they're both amazing). I don't find them heavy at all, though they are more robustly built than many. I just picked up an OM-03, and the balance is absolutely marvelous. That's also something I loved about the Collings I've liked best...perfectly balanced (maybe a mid bias, even).

Looking forward to hearing what you settle on!

Last edited by Treenewt; 06-28-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I've written a couple times about the Alvarez dreadnought model (don't know the nomenclature)... ALL solid woods, mahogany and spruce; really well built, light and resonant, and very nicely finished, with a herringbone purfling... for $599, including a nice hard shell case!!!

I've played three or four at this point, and each one has been easily comparable to a D-18. I told the rep, last time I saw him, that Alvarez should make a OOO/OM version of the same guitar... and...

They did it! Same lovely finish and herringbone purfling, on a very nice little OM platform. Same price, $599, inc. case.

Hard to believe that a guitar this nice is so inexpensive, but I would recommend that you check one out to see if it's what you want...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion