The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-27-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I don't disagree with your post -- but I also know of plenty of builders who've got piles of mahogany and while they don't look like the Tree they do sound great.

However that's not the rationale that goes through the mind of someone who's willing to spend thousands for a pretty back, is it?

The criteria that are important to those folks aren't the same as those who are looking for a good, functional guitar. Nothing wrong with either approach, just different strokes for different folks.

As evidenced by Martin's numerous anniversary guitars with awful tops, people who work in guitar shops don't always select the best tops for their best guitars.

I think that spending so much money for a nice back (or nice inlays, or nice whatever) and then making a compromise on the cheapest part of the build is really unwise. There are plenty of great sounding, great looking tops out there.

[/IMG]
You are probably right, many people do tend to buy with their eyes. I don't know of many small shop builders who don't consider tone first though and this guitar was not a run of the mill guitar.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:17 PM

It would make zero sense to spend that kind of money without tone being really important. Big dollar cars need the horsepower to back up the looks. The same thing with guitars. As I recall when that R. Taylor was made, "Tree" was a $7000 upgrade or it was soon after.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:29 PM

Of course the Tree sounds really nice. About as nice as any piece of quality mahogany out there, with or without fancy figure.

Spending more money on a musical instrument because it looks better is a taboo topic. It shouldn't be.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:56 PM

... for what it's worth... the top has a LOT less "run out" than the back and sides... run out being where the fibers in the wood run at an angle to the face of the wood and therefore reflect light differently... quilts being caused by the same thing... just sayin...

I find a huge difference between The Tree and other mahoganies I've used... my experience being about 30 Tree guitars including 2 otherwise identical guitars one LS/Brazilian and one LS/Tree built at the same time... the similarities were amazing. I do find that the "tortoise shell" sets do sound more Brazilian like than the sausage quilt. I assume it's the added density of the veins.

Harv
Old 04-30-2017, 03:40 PM

Assuming that some parts of the Tree sound like BRW indeed, there would be several alternatives from the rosewood family that would sound similar and cost way less. But of course it wouldn't look as fancy and be as unique as the Tree.

As for the run-out terminology, most lay people of course refer to the visible difference between the two parts of the top -- aka a two-tone top.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Assuming that some parts of the Tree sound like BRW indeed, there would be several alternatives from the rosewood family that would sound similar and cost way less. But of course it wouldn't look as fancy and be as unique as the Tree.
I don't think Harv was making a cost/benefit analysis supporting the added cost of the Tree vs Brazilian or any other alternatives. I think he was just making an observation based on his experience with this mahogany.

No one choses this as a tonal alternative to BRW. I have found it, to my ear to be a mahogany sound but with a lean towards rosewoods because of its density. I've handled more of this than most but I'm not a builder either. I got my Tree guitar in 1992 before most folks even knew about it.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:55 AM
*mahoganut*

Having had four 'tree' guitars I'd agree with Jay - mahogany with "extras". Those of us who play accompaniment enjoy the controllable overtones of mahogany - but they are certainly not the rich blooms you get from good rosewood.

I also will easily admit to being fascinated by the figure and color. Similar fascination with koa - which has to be played to make sure it's not a dud. A great sounding koa that your eyes sink into - great combo.

Tree combined with special tops - I lean toward redwood and cedars for colors - although the Baranik OM with tree and Colorado Blue Spruce is in a special sonic category - finding that special 'tree' guitar is one of those end of the rainbow discoveries.

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 05-24-2017, 07:37 PM

I have always loved that guitar (used in R Taylor's advertising).

Just not $15k worth of love, though.

But it is GORGEOUS!
Old 05-24-2017, 11:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

In case you didn't notice this in my nearby blog-thread:

These pics, taken today, are with the first of a probable 8 coats of varnish.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

I thought my 2012 Limited Fall Edition sapele was about as good as it gets, but "the tree" looks even better. Congrats.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 05-29-2017, 02:24 PM

I picked up some new boards myself this last week.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

As always, Jay...my eyes are popping out 👀

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop