The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Default 317GP- Color me impressed

In short, I got to play a GP for the first time today. It didn't take but moments for me to be thoroughly impressed with the sound. I can't wait to play a 717. Something tells me it is possible to want to sell one of my GA's in the future. I find it interesting that though this GP has V bracing it didn't get the bass cut that some of the GA's did with the new bracing. I played a new 814ceDLX-v right behind it and without question I much preferred the 317- at least for sound. Playability was no issue at all, though I did think the action on this one was a bit high. But that is easily fixed.

I'm going to have to seek out a 717 now. My curiosity is piqued.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-11-2019, 04:46 PM

Find a 717. I played one for two hours and immediately went home and ordered one and its the best guitar related decision I've made. You won't regret it.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster
Old 07-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

I played a 517 the other day, and it was really nice. I haven't tried a 717 but own a 317. The 517 and 717 probably win out in cosmetics and possibly in tone over the 317; but considering the price differential, the 317 may be the only GP that many of us will ever need. FWIW I removed the pick guard from my 317 the other day, and the cosmetic score jumped a few points...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 07-12-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:59 PM

I've played all 3 Grand Pacific's now and the 317 is also my favorite of the bunch. I think it's because I primarily play fingerstyle and the non torrified Sitka top with sapele back and sides works really well.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 PM

I don’t think it’s any secret that I love my 717, and I should have my 517 tomorrow. If I like the 517, the D-18 is probably out the door shortly after. My 717 has slowly gained bass and has now surpassed my D-18. It’s so wild how the bass keeps growing...I’ve never experienced this before.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:42 AM

I'm with RP and dodge on this one.
Just yesterday I played 317 and 517
AND
my D18, that happens to be at my local store on the consignment wall.

The 317 was preferable to the 517.
Both are fine, but I liked the sound of the 317.

Then I played my D18 and the 317 back to back.
Not surprisingly, they were different.
The D18 clearly had the low end ... it is unapologetically a Martin Dread... that the Taylor did not.

In discussing it with my long time trusted friend/manager at the store,
I mentioned I couldn't decide if the Taylor was more like my Martin D18 or more like my Gibson J45.

He said it was, to his ears, more like the Gibson sound, but he fully understood my point.
He went on say that the Grand Pacific was perhaps Taylors most innovative innovation of all, and a stroke of marketing genius because it's bridging that gap I referenced.
Martin and Gibson guys finally have a Taylor to consider.
And many who previously did not like the "Taylor sound", are reconsidering that stance.

I did not buy the 317,
and yet that's the one I would if I were buying a Grand Pacific.

But then, I came home and played my beloved J45.. with no regrets.
Love that Gibson.

Last edited by woodbox; 07-12-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

I love my 317e - very dark thick sounding guitar- as I stated earlier this week-
I sidelined the 317e with the builders editions for 2 hours at the factory last month. For strumming and flat picking the fancier models offered a slightly more resonance but I definitely preferred the 317 for the light fingerstyle I play most often - it had a darker thicker less jangly treble response - not that the others weren’t great, but for what I do I preferred the cheaper model.
Martin Backpacker
Old 07-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
I've played all 3 Grand Pacific's now and the 317 is also my favorite of the bunch. I think it's because I primarily play fingerstyle and the non torrified Sitka top with sapele back and sides works really well.
Maybe that’s the reason I prefer the 317 for fingerstyle! I’ve read about torrefaction and it supposedly helps give you a more played in tone, but I definitely prefer the tone of the 317. All of the Grand Pacifics have thick tonality (and I came very close to beating out shades as the first multiple GP owner) but the 317, while maintaining a touch of sparkle, seems to have shaved off many of the highest frequencies so that you are left with a dark full meaty sound - which is perfect for the Bach cello stuff I usually play. I can see how this would be less desirable with flat picking and strumming
Martin Backpacker
Old 07-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I played a 517 the other day, and it was really nice. I haven't tried a 717 but own a 317. The 517 and 717 probably win out in cosmetics and possibly in tone over the 317; but considering the price differential, the 317 may be the only GP that many of us will ever need. FWIW I removed the pick guard from my 317 the other day, and the cosmetic score jumped a few points...
Yep, I agree on both points, RP. I’m loving my 317. My trusty D-41 will always be the Big Dog...so the “poor man’s” GP is all I need. Played so sweet out of the box I thought I wouldn’t need a setup. But after playing a few weeks I let my tech give it the once over...and WOW! Went from already great playability to superb playability.

And, yes, the the GPs look best sans pickguard. Mine sure does...

Last edited by Rev Roy; 07-13-2019 at 03:39 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion