The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 09:29 AM

Default 1980 Guild D-55 question

I own a Westerly Guild D-55 from around 1980. Where the "button" to hook on a guitar strap on the bottom is a solid inlay that over time, does not sit perfectly flush. It does not effect the sound but I'm starting to wonder, if it's a problem that needs attention or maybe I should just leave it alone. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Thank you.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:14 AM

Could you post a pic?
Old 06-21-2019, 06:49 AM

https://acousticguitar.com/gear-review-guild-d-55/

it's the second image, with the white insert on the bottom with the hole for strap button.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 AM

You're referring to the strip of white plastic? I wouldn't expect there to be any structural damage, but if it were mine, I'd want that repaired. Should be an easy and inexpensive fix for a good repair tech.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alans1952 View Post
I own a Westerly Guild D-55 from around 1980. Where the "button" to hook on a guitar strap on the bottom is a solid inlay that over time, does not sit perfectly flush. It does not effect the sound but I'm starting to wonder, if it's a problem that needs attention or maybe I should just leave it alone. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Thank you.
It's not clear whether you're simply referring to the strap button itself, or the plastic wedge. A pic from your actual guitar would be clarifying!

The strap button is only an issue if you put a strap on it, and it comes out unexpectedly! There's nothing structural going on there. Chances are the button or hole don't fit as well due to moisture absorption over the years, if that's what you are referring to. A little sandpaper on the button (tapered, insert part) is one way to address that. A binding repair would be more trouble and require finishing skills, and, frankly, should probably not be undertaken unless it's falling off (IMO).
Old 06-21-2019, 10:56 AM

It's the plastic wedge. It's not sitting flush on the bottom. The current advise is to leave it alone but I just want to make sure.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
It's the plastic wedge. It's not sitting flush on the bottom. The current advise is to leave it alone but I just want to make sure.
I'd leave it alone. My '76 F512 does the exact same thing and I'm not concerned at all. Someone more knowledgeable than me will know for sure, but I attribute it to the wood losing some moisture causing the body to shrink just slightly over 40 years.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:

The plastic "end block wedge" is just a very shallow piece of plastic or wood usually, that only goes a few thousandths deep into the side woods where they meet there in the middle. The end pin goes all the way into the wood of the sides, or possibly even into the end block on the inside of the guitar, so as long as the end pin is not loose, you should be fine.

If the end/strap pin is wiggling and the plastic end wedge is wiggling then you might want to have a tech look at it. The end pin, if it loose, and is just the larger friction hold push in type, may just need to be re-pushed down into the hole.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 06-21-2019, 03:56 PM

Alan, if I understand you correctly the end pin wedge of white plastic is no longer completely flush with the surfaces of the sides that meet there. Is that what you're saying?

˙˙˙

That's most likely from the nearly 40 years of seasonal expansion and contraction that the sides have undergone since the guitar was built. If that wedge of plastic isn't coming loose, but has simply become a bit protuberant, I don't think it's cause for concern, or at least for major concern. You might want to take it to your friendly local guitar repair tech to get it double checked, just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion