The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 AM

Default How debilitatingly-heavy is a metal resonator?

I'm not even going to do my usual pre-post search on this one, because I'm probably just crazy, but:

If I stuff an eight-pound weight inside my acoustic, will it feel like a metal resonator on my lap?

Next question: what can I feed through the sound hole to accomplish this? Eight 16-oz bottles of water? Holy crap, that image just made me realise how heavy a metal reso is!

The potentially-sacrificial acoustic for this experiment is a The Loar LO-16, which I'm guessing weighs three-to-four pounds, so adding eight pounds would probably result in something on the heavier resonator side, at 11-12 pounds.

Obviously, I could just go out and play a metal resonator in a store, but I need to feel (assuming I can still feel) what it's like after an hour or two, and the salesperson might think that's weird, especially if I need them to pick me up and put me in my car seat after I'm done playing.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:10 AM

Smile Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I'm not even going to do my usual pre-post search on this one, because I'm probably just crazy, but:

If I stuff an eight-pound weight inside my acoustic, will it feel like a metal resonator on my lap?

Next question: what can I feed through the sound hole to accomplish this? Eight 16-oz bottles of water? Holy crap, that image just made me realise how heavy a metal reso is!

The potentially-sacrificial acoustic for this experiment is a The Loar LO-16, which I'm guessing weighs three-to-four pounds, so adding eight pounds would probably result in something on the heavier resonator side, at 11-12 pounds.

Obviously, I could just go out and play a metal resonator in a store, but I need to feel (assuming I can still feel) what it's like after an hour or two, and the salesperson might think that's weird, especially if I need them to pick me up and put me in my car seat after I'm done playing.
It depends on what position you plan to play it in. Standing or between your legs (classical style) with a strap are really the best way to hold one. If you plan to play it on your R knee/thigh - fuggidaboutit. It will leave a huge dent in your thigh after 15-20 minutes and is hard to control the neck effectively due to it being so bottom heavy.

I had a Gretsch Honeydipper and it was monstrously loud and dang near as heavy. I sold it and got a Boxcar,

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-24-2019, 08:44 AM

OP: Are you certain you want a metal resonator? If so do you really want a full sized guitar? Have you considered a parlor resonator? Maybe listen to YouTube samples of some of the Republic Resonators. I have a parlor maple resonator by Republic that I am well satisfied with, and weight is not a problem. You might consider a full sized biscuit bridge wood resonator as well.

Last edited by ohiopicker; 03-24-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:25 AM

I owned a metal reso for a short while. The weight (sitting down) was a lot, but tolerable. Dependent on the weather, though, it was the coldest guitar experience I ever had.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
It depends on what position you plan to play it in. Standing or between your legs (classical style) with a strap are really the best way to hold one. If you plan to play it on your R knee/thigh - fuggidaboutit. It will leave a huge dent in your thigh after 15-20 minutes and is hard to control the neck effectively due to it being so bottom heavy.

I had a Gretsch Honeydipper and it was monstrously loud and dang near as heavy. I sold it and got a Boxcar,
My playing style for my acoustic is the conventional right-thigh style, always sitting down, so I guess that would be challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
OP: Are you certain you want a metal resonator? If so do you really want a full sized guitar? Have you considered a parlor resonator? Maybe listen to YouTube samples of some of the Republic Resonators. I have a parlor maple resonator by Republic that I am well satisfied with, and weight is not a problem. You might consider a full sized biscuit bridge wood resonator as well.
No, I'm not certain I want a metal resonator; in fact, I just ordered a Gretsch Alligator Biscuit, which is wood, but I'm already thinking ahead and wondering.

I had not thought of a metal parlor resonator, so that would presumably bring down the weight a bit, although I guess balance would still be an issue.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
My playing style for my acoustic is the conventional right-thigh style, always sitting down, so I guess that would be challenging.

No, I'm not certain I want a metal resonator; in fact, I just ordered a Gretsch Alligator Biscuit, which is wood, but I'm already thinking ahead and wondering.

I had not thought of a metal parlor resonator, so that would presumably bring down the weight a bit, although I guess balance would still be an issue.
Yeah, the weight issue is discussed quite a bit but the balance factor isn't. Keeping the guitar in proper position on R thigh takes away a LOT of your fret-hand freedom- especially playing bottleneck.

I would be surprised if you weren't happy with the Alligator. Gretsch is the top of the heap in low price resos - I think you'll be a happy camper with what you're getting.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-24-2019, 12:41 PM

I have a 12 fret steel bodied National NRP that I play sitting down, regular right leg position. The only time I notice the weight is when I grab the neck and lift the reso from the case.

Seriously, I've played for multiple hours straight and had zero issues with its weight resting on my leg. I do have a 30# toddler that's always climbing on me, so maybe the reso feels light by comparison. Haha.

Because of the different size/shape/balance of the guitar, it took me a couple days, maybe even a week or so, to settle into a playing position that now seems as comfortable as an old hat.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:48 PM

One other thing. I think my 12 fret NRP weighs around 7.5 pounds. A dread weighs around 4.5 pounds. So that case of water bottles shoved in the soundhole of an acoustic might be a bit much. Haha. You definitely need to post a picture of this experiment, though.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
One other thing. I think my 12 fret NRP weighs around 7.5 pounds. A dread weighs around 4.5 pounds. So that case of water bottles shoved in the soundhole of an acoustic might be a bit much. Haha. You definitely need to post a picture of this experiment, though.
LOL. I think I'll just add a bottle every two or three days, starting with one, then gradually building up to seven or eight, so eventually my regular acoustic will already weigh in at ten or eleven pounds, so switching to a metal reso will be unnoticeable.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
LOL. I think I'll just add a bottle every two or three days, starting with one, then gradually building up to seven or eight, so eventually my regular acoustic will already weigh in at ten or eleven pounds, so switching to a metal reso will be unnoticeable.
Just buy a Les Paul (Traditional), and play and carry that around for a few months. After that, a steel-body National will feel like a feather.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

sed to own a great National Style "O" Deluxe. Sounded great ... actually a bit too loud, but it always gave me back ache if I played to for too long.

I swapped it for an Estralita (wood body) not so fancy, but easier to cope with.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:22 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I swapped it for an Estralita (wood body) not so fancy, but easier to cope with.
What Estralitas lack in fancy, they make up for in classy!

When I wanted a lighter weight reso, I got a wood body, too.

Here's my former Estralita "Harlem Slim" and my current M2:

Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I had an all metal Republic Tricone. Beautiful instrument. I didn't bond with it and the potential hernia helped my decision to trade it for something I play often.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-25-2019, 06:59 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Have you ever had a heavy Les Paul on your lap? It isn't much different. Put the waist of the guitar on your left knee. Toilet! or voile'! Whatever that French word is.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-26-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Have you ever had a heavy Les Paul on your lap? It isn't much different. Put the waist of the guitar on your left knee. Toilet! or voile'! Whatever that French word is.

Bob
No, but my strat (Godin Progression Plus) causes me problems after maybe an hour if I don't move it around a bit. I don't think my tele does, though (G & L ASAT Tribute), so I think the strat must weigh a little more, but also it is carved, so less of its bottom is pressing down, so more lbs / square inch, I guess, which is also what is making me hope that a metal resonator would actually not be as bad as a much thinner (i.e. electric) guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments