The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-02-2018, 06:26 AM

Default Question for composers...

Hello all:

For those that write their own compositions, have you ever had the urge to have some one else learn your song/songs? It might be interesting to hear other peoples 'take' on your own composition...

If you have how did you feel when you heard someone else's interpretation?

Just curious.

Regards
D

Old 08-02-2018, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Just happy someone liked a composition of mine enough to learn it and their take
on it. That's a reason I have tabbed out some and put them on my website.

Most far out version is of my tune "Six String Shuffle" and is on youtube
here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVM5bOF2AZg

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 AM

You're right, that would be a wonderful thing to have happen, but I've never had the pleasure of hearing that.

Since that's largely out of my control (baring costs that I'm not brave or self-possessed enough to want to incur) I make sure to do the converse. I often perform songs written by my long-time keyboard-playing musical partner, though I usually base them around guitar instead. Neither of us are highly skilled players, I'm not transcribing his keyboard notes to guitar or anything, but I'm working with his chords and melodic framework, as well as his lyrics.

My main project for the past two years or so has been combining other people's words (usually poetry) with music I write. Again, it's the reverse of what the OP speaks of, but it's fascinating to consider what music and approach will work with someone else's words.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-02-2018, 10:30 AM

My solo guitar pieces? No. I write them for me.

My songs? Yes, I write them for others.

Last edited by DukeX; 08-04-2018 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Mu solo guitar pieces? No. I write them for me.

My songs? Yes, I write them for others.
Pretty much the same for me......except I have no songs!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 08-02-2018, 11:57 AM

I enjoy hearing someone else's take on my songs. A former bandmate of mine recorded one of my songs and put all kinds of additional instrumentation on it (like a kid's xylophone for example!) and it sounded awesome! He also sang a slightly different harmony on the verses that I thought really worked out well. I still play and perform my version but regularly listen to and enjoy his version.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Way back during the DAT recording days I did a project where by we recorded a CD using people from different bands that were working in the area. We mixed and matched the different band members so no two band members worked on the same songs. Mostly it was one member from each band and that person was the most talented of the band. We didn't think we should put out cover tunes on a CD we were going to sell because of legal and cost reasons. For logistic reasons it was done with all my songs being done by all these different people. It was a lot of fun and it was cool to hear my tunes done like that. But the flip side of it is some of the singers didn't phase the words the way it would of had better impact. Some of the guitar leads where okay. Others better. There just wasn't enough time to work on anything and dealing with the egos was real work. But we made our money back!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-03-2018, 05:57 PM

I've never thought about someone else singing my songs.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:15 PM

Default Interesting repies...

I guess I hadn't thought of the concept (hearing someone else play what I wrote) until recently. I do get that there is a difference between instrumental and spoken/sung songs. I think they both start with the need to communicate something. I understand putting the emphasis on the the 'wrong' note/word/phrase can and does change the message.

That begs the question...who needs to communicate or more appropriately wants to communicate?

Is the communication changed with someone else's interpretation? I am guessing yes!

Duke X says he writes solo guitar for himself, but songs for others...They both carry a message...maybe it is easier to communicate in words...

I think in solo guitar. I have written poetry, but it is poetry. I (almost never) have put it to music. I see the spoken word differently than song...(My opinion only) I have a difficult time understanding the words of songs, so I don't spend energy trying. I enjoy Enya (all), Emmy Lou Harris (Spyboy) or Monte Montgomery (all), but couldn't quote a single line (exaggeration, of course). I enjoy their ability to use voice as an instrument. That is not to say that all singers have annunciation issues...just that I hear instruments. And I appreciate those instruments just as much as [any] guitar

Interesting...and thanks for the comments...

Regards,
D

Old 08-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

I've heard a number of my tunes played by others, both live or on you tube, or even here on the forum. It's always very flattering that someone likes a tune enough to put in all the work to learn it. I always enjoy hearing these versions, whether they do them close to the original or take off in different interpretations.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write