The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 04-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Default Chet Atkins flatpicking?

Tomorrow is the official release of Molly Tuttle's album "When You're Ready," and in reading the praise, the following caught my attention:

"[Molly Tuttle] sings with the gentle authority of Gillian Welch, yet plays astoundingly fleet flat-picking guitar like Chet Atkins on superdrive.” —Paul Zollo, American Songwriter Magazine

To me, Chet Atkins wouldn't be the first guitarist coming to mind when talking about flatpicking. I admit I'm not a huge fan of his style and therefore not extremely familiar with his recordings, but isn't he a fingerpicker?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 PM

Well, here's a vid of Chet using a thumbpick pretty much as if it were a flatpick. Just for kicks, maybe? Cause that is certainly not his typical style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8lDGdabk4g

But no, not at all a name you'd come up with when struggling to think of a flatpicker to compare somebody to. No idea what was going on with that.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Tomorrow is the official release of Molly Tuttle's album "When You're Ready," and in reading the praise, the following caught my attention:

"[Molly Tuttle] sings with the gentle authority of Gillian Welch, yet plays astoundingly fleet flat-picking guitar like Chet Atkins on superdrive.” —Paul Zollo, American Songwriter Magazine

To me, Chet Atkins wouldn't be the first guitarist coming to mind when talking about flatpicking. I admit I'm not a huge fan of his style and therefore not extremely familiar with his recordings, but isn't he a fingerpicker?
Yeah, that is a downright silly comparison.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN