The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

I chose this particular back because it is flawed, technically. Of course it is also quite beautiful, and the "flaw" is strictly cosmetic. This being a WRX, the price will be low (for my work), so it is not only my "worst" P, the top is an unknown, and of the 5 sets of White Spruce I hand picked as up to snuff, this is the worst as well. I guess we could call this low mastergrade, or "oxymoronic" grade.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I chose this particular back because it is flawed, technically. Of course it is also quite beautiful, and the "flaw" is strictly cosmetic. This being a WRX, the price will be low (for my work), so it is not only my "worst" P, the top is an unknown, and of the 5 sets of White Spruce I hand picked as up to snuff, this is the worst as well. I guess we could call this low mastergrade, or "oxymoronic" grade.

Obviously the luthier skills are unquestionable, marketing, hmmmm, maybe not so much! Hahahahaha
Old 12-15-2015, 07:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am actually quite naive re marketing. I continue to be of the opinion that marketing is much of what is wrong with the world, and that if I simply build a "better" product the world will beat a path to my door. I say "better" because my better may not be your better, but as a contemporary person I would think it often is. This guitar is the absolute best I can do at the peak of a long career. For someone who values character, craftsmanship, and performance over bling, bells, and whistles, this guitar will be hard to beat.

Not "mahogany" but actual Honduras Mahogany:
Old 12-15-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I am actually quite naive re marketing. I continue to be of the opinion that marketing is much of what is wrong with the world, and that if I simply build a "better" product the world will beat a path to my door. I say "better" because my better may not be your better, but as a contemporary person I would think it often is. This guitar is the absolute best I can do at the peak of a long career. For someone who values character, craftsmanship, and performance over bling, bells, and whistles, this guitar will be hard to beat.

Not "mahogany" but actual Honduras Mahogany:
Sorry Bruce, I was just trying to be funny, saying this is your "worst" P, the worst of the 5 sets of white spruce you had along with a cosmetically flawed back....I know that this guitar will be fantastic despite all that, I just found it funny in how you described this particular one...

No offense was intended, again, it was apparently, a poor attempt at some humor.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's where I got to today.

For those looking for insight into my process, the lines I have drawn on the rectilinear neck are my secret to controlling neck profile type, symmetry, and taper.

Plus a bit of skill, of course; tomorrow I will carve it.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:51 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
For someone who values character, craftsmanship, and performance over bling, bells, and whistles, this guitar will be hard to beat.
But I closed on my first (and hopefully last) house just under two months ago, and the water heater went out over the weekend. So I'll just have to hope that your building career stretches on for quite a while longer! Please don't drive off any prospective buyers on my account, I'll figure something out one of these years
Old 12-16-2015, 12:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

I hand delivered a guitar to the South Island once, and I'd love to do it again, circumstances permitting.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Got the neck done this morning as predicted. It's odd to think this is going quickly, as some have said, as this is the eighth day and I believe I have over 75 hours in and that's about half what it'll be. Time may fly, but it's a lot of time!

The dusty face is CocoNegro, and the logo is P:

The heel is less Martin and more Gibson than my norm:

Off to lunch and then the rest of the day sanding.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:55 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Yes, a little less than ten hours per day for eight straight days is hard work! My problem when I was building my own little hobby kit guitars was that 90% of my efforts were spent fixing mistakes, and I suspect you've gotten past that point in your career
Old 12-16-2015, 07:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Yes, a little less than ten hours per day for eight straight days is hard work! My problem when I was building my own little hobby kit guitars was that 90% of my efforts were spent fixing mistakes, and I suspect you've gotten past that point in your career
I fixed one thing on this guitar, so far. I drilled a tuner hole 1.5 mm off, filled it, and redrilled. There is no evidence, but whatever. I think I make most of my mistakes socially, mostly letting my mouth get ahead of my head. Oh well, I'm a work in progress. Who isn't?

I got the guitar into finish about 20 minutes ago, and will probably be more scarce here while I slowly complete the process. Pictures do not show the gradual improvement well.

Maybe I'll complete the Classical Guitar I started. . .

Here's the sealer coats:

The P really pops in the CocoNegro background!

Old 12-17-2015, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

I really like the Pernambuco "S" in the Coco Negro headplate veneer. I predict a beautiful sound come mid-January!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

So I DID get back into the classical! In another hour and a half, barring a fire in the shop or some such, I will have put the peone in their place!

Also, I will get some braces on the back shortly. It's the lower left one with the green strip.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:44 PM

I can't wait to see how the nylon string guitar comes out (especially after the humidity curl)... Are you thinking true classical or a jazzish nylon?

Jrw
Old 12-19-2015, 06:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

The classical is intended to be a hardcore pure classical. I have made a few, but the last was 2003. I have been thinking about it ever since and it will be VERY interesting to see what happens.

Over the years I have recorded hundreds of "samples" of my guitars. When I'm in my car my bluetooth hooks up the phone and plays my iTunes list, which I should probably be embarrassed to admit it at least 90% these tunes I've recorded. As time has past some favorites have emerged. My Christmas gift to you all is a few of these. If you want to know which guitar you're hearing , just go to TheList and find the serial number in the left hand column.

234-Batchelder

233 - Cuffy

248 - Carolan's Concerto

242 - SlowPoke

Here Them Bells

My Favorite Things

Cooley's (AllKoa?) Reel

There are quite a few more I like as much, but I heard these today and thought I'd share. I hope you will find that what is missing in technical facility is made up for in creativity and "feeling".

Here's the Classical this afternoon:

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 12-20-2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:41 PM

I was going to ask whether the bridge will extend to the outer fan braces (and thereby more or less the finger braces) but I think I will just wait and see. Glad you got back to this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop