The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Default My X10 order musings

So i’ve been on the X10 jones cycle lately. Planning to order a Koa top X10 with level 2 electronics except I will have a Schatten hfn active installed in place of the piezo.
I would like to use this to travel with and plug into my Kemper for some electric rocking out now and then.
Main question I have for the carbon kangaroo court: has anyone ordered a 12 fret X10 to save on the overall length?
Old 12-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamill View Post
So i’ve been on the X10 jones cycle lately. Planning to order a Koa top X10 with level 2 electronics except I will have a Schatten hfn active installed in place of the piezo.
I would like to use this to travel with and plug into my Kemper for some electric rocking out now and then.
Main question I have for the carbon kangaroo court: has anyone ordered a 12 fret X10 to save on the overall length?
Close - I ordered mine with a 24.6" scale length, making for a 13-fret. Very comfortable neck (1 11/16"). I have the stock Level 2, and it is a fine guitar for bridging the gap between electric and acoustic. If you are going for a shorter overall length, keep in mind case vs gig bag. I went with the gig bag for my X10, since I am the only one who will be handling the guitar (I avoid flying commercial). I would assume (and certainly not speaking for Emerald) that the Hiscox case for the X10 would be the same size whether the guitar is a 12 or 14 fret.

That was the case (pun not intended) with the RainSong Shorty I had: the hard shell case had more space for the headstock than necessary with that 12-fret.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

A 13 fret I had not considered. Whats the overall length if I may ask? Does the piezo use a 9 volt? I thought I might try and snag a used Taylor soft case for it once I have the length nailed down. They seem a little tighter fitting and sturdier than the Emerald bag.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
A 13 fret I had not considered. Whats the overall length if I may ask? Does the piezo use a 9 volt? I thought I might try and snag a used Taylor soft case for it once I have the length nailed down. They seem a little tighter fitting and sturdier than the Emerald bag.
I just measured it: 36.5" - the stock X10 is 37.75" overall length. Yes, the piezos are powered with a 9v.

I have a Taylor GSmini (sale pending) that came with that great gig bag (originally made by Access). The Emerald gig bag for the X10 is a different structure from the Taylor, but seems just as durable and protective. I already knew what to expect from the Emerald gig bag since I have one for the X7. Both guitars have already racked up the miles and the gig bags are holding up fine.
Old 12-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Default koa or padauk or the flame maple sunburst

After seeing Kramsters Padauk X10 i’m coming off the koa, my normal go to a little. Really like the flame maple with subtle sunburst around the edge too. Couple of X7 and X20 sporting that top in the “in stock “ section at Emerald.
In the level 3 do the piezo saddles and the midi work hand in hand? In other words if I want midi i’m stuck with the piezo saddles vs. the Schatten?
Old 12-27-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
After seeing Kramsters Padauk X10
How'd I get dragged into this? But then I do like it..Think I'll go play it now.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-27-2019, 04:10 PM
Guest 928

Nephew K;

Good! It was about time to get up from your nap and get in some play time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber