The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2019, 03:09 AM

Default Question about Buffered vs True Bypass

I just finished re-boxing my '80's Ibanez AD9 in a nice new Hammond style enclosure (the old box is in several pot metal pieces after being dropped on concrete). I'm about to fit a new switch as the old momentary unit is less than reliable.

I run this pedal last in my chain, almost as a reverb-type effect. The rest of the chain is true bypass, but the AD9 is more or less an 'always on' pedal. Is there any advantage in making the extra effort to make it true bypass, or do I just go with the Carling 110-P spst switch?

Cheers for any thoughts/knowledge.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:59 AM

Do you notice any difference if you bypass the pedal (physically unplug it and go around it)?

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-17-2019, 07:07 AM

+1 on Clint's comment (^).

How long is your overall signal chain from guitar to amp? Include all those little patch cables. Nothing wrong with having a buffer before going to the amp with a long cable run.

I think a great test is to try your guitar to the amp, then your guitar through all your effects Except that last pedal, and then again with all the pedals including the last one. Do you notice any difference? Any roll off of the highs?
Old 02-17-2019, 07:16 AM

Typically, the full run is only around 20' or less. I don't move too far from my board and the amp is usually 6' or less behind me. I run 5-6 pedals max including a tuner, all true bypass.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:26 AM

In theory, the combination of a naked guitar pickup impeadance/inductance, and the input stage of an amplifier will react differently than an OP Amp output will with the same input stage. It's a question of frequency response, signal levels, and so on. There is also the loading and signal transfer from the pickup to the input stage of the active pedal, and you probably don't know what that is on this pedal. So in theory, there will be a difference. In practice, you might not be able to hear or measure the difference, although some claim to be able to tell the difference between cables, battery brands in pedals, and what-not. And just because there might be a difference doesn't mean one is better than the other, to your ears. So if it was me, I'd build it both ways. I'd duplicate the factory switch, and front end that with a true bypass mechanical switch that goes completely around the pedal electronics, then I'd try it. You can obviously jury-rig the true bypass with a cable.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capohk View Post
Typically, the full run is only around 20' or less. I don't move too far from my board and the amp is usually 6' or less behind me. I run 5-6 pedals max including a tuner, all true bypass.
I'm guessing that the quality of your instrument and patch cables will make more of a difference than true bypass/buffer at that length.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:36 PM

OK - thanks all. I found a Carling Momentary switch which will hopefully keep the circuit exactly the same.

I guess the best way to find out is to try it both ways as suggested.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:13 PM

Just in case anyone is interested, I found this vid from TPS useful.

Most articles I have found seem to think the buffer in the series 9 pedals is pretty good. Which is good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars