The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-14-2019, 01:24 PM

Quitting Drinking. Been doing it for quite a while, nightly, a lot . I'm 62, but man I keep backing out.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-14-2019, 02:13 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
in December we took in an unexpected house guest. A friend of my Grandson's

we thought she was living in an abusive situation, and felt that providing safe shelter while Family Services worked out long term options was the right thing to do. (her family is a mess)

Remember that saying No good deed goes unpunished?

The longer she's been with us, the more we've seen of who this girl (she's 17) really is. basically severely Bipolar and schizophrenic..

When she started making death threats to my daughter yesterday via facebook msg to my grandson, (who lives in the second floor of our two family in Central Mass) that's when the plug got pulled.

We told DCF today, She's no longer welcomed here, come get her.. and that's what has happened.

it was a hard decision to make, we know she needs help but, I've come to realize that the help she needs goes beyond what my family can provide..
Sorry to hear it went that way - you did what you thought was right, and made the correct decision when the time came.
Hoping you get out free and clear with no repercussions.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:36 PM

Default Hmmmmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Anyone thinking about any life decisions right now? Might be a job change, move, marriage, retirement, new car, health, school, etc. Are you talking to friends/family about it? Researching it online?

If your biggest life decision is what to eat for breakfast then include that ... hopefully that's a good thing.
Dru.....wondering if I can handle an older daughter returning to the fold after a bad "break-up".....I might be coming out to bunk with you
Old 02-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
...We told DCF today, She's no longer welcomed here, come get her.. and that's what has happened.

it was a hard decision to make, we know she needs help but, I've come to realize that the help she needs goes beyond what my family can provide..
It was a decision that would have been made sooner or later, and you chose sooner. Too many people can't make those tough calls, wait for a near miracle, and everybody suffers until the inevitable occurs. I'm sure you made the right decision at the right time.....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-14-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Anyone thinking about any life decisions right now? Might be a job change, move, marriage, retirement, new car, health, school, etc. Are you talking to friends/family about it? Researching it online?

If your biggest life decision is what to eat for breakfast then include that ... hopefully that's a good thing.
To take or not take SS at 62, i have a great job that would nix any payments until 66.6 the kicker is i have a daughter under 16 ... Yea i know lol.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:55 PM

----------

Last edited by AmericanEagle; 02-15-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Dru, its always such a pleasure to respond to your threads. Great question. I just made a good career move as a result of a decision.. does this count?

I have been in higher education or poverty or a combination thereof most of my life. I play a ton of gigs at farm fairs in the Summers and I love interacting with the kids. So a recent job came up as Director of Lifelong Education for the local church and I took it. I never envisioned a career as a youth educator, especially teaching spiritual subjects like self esteem, faith, philosophy and so forth...but I will grow into this role over time I am sure.

That was a decision to combine my love of building games with playful learning with meaningful work. I now work with seniors and kids, 2 ends of the spectrum.

My next big decision is where to live. Its so $$ here that I am at a loss to find that balance of value and comfort. So wish me luck with finding a new home, this one is about to be demolished for ...sigh...development...and I lose my amazing rent deal!
Hey Davis, sounds like a great opportunity. I take it you're moving out of Toronto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Sort of downsizing...we’re in the process of selling our rural log home of 35 years that I built, to move to a newsd suburban home we’ve already bought. We’re currently splitting our time between the two, just 40 min. apart. Lots of emotions involved.

Dru, perhaps you’ve a life decision of your own to share?
Hi Tom, good luck with the new home! You're still close enough to check out some Redblack games (for those who don't know, it's a Canadian Football League team).

Me? I'm not ready for early retirement for another 5-6 years but I just had my retirement home built on the ocean. Figured now was the best time to make that jump and move.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Hey Davis, sounds like a great opportunity. I take it you're moving out of Toronto?

Hi Tom, good luck with the new home! You're still close enough to check out some Redblack games (for those who don't know, it's a Canadian Football League team).

Me? I'm not ready for early retirement for another 5-6 years but I just had my retirement home built on the ocean. Figured now was the best time to make that jump and move.
Thanks Dru. Yeah, the Redblacks are losing their top three players to free agency, so the great run they’ve had since re-entering the league may be over for a while.

Congrats to you. A home on the ocean anywhere in Nova Scotia must be wonderful. Enjoy it! My sister and b-i-l live in Halifax, but no way can they afford waterfront.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:54 PM

Trying to figure out where I can find an open mic in the Naples Fl area next week. Any ideas?
Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
To take or not take SS at 62, i have a great job that would nix any payments until 66.6 the kicker is i have a daughter under 16 ... Yea i know lol.
When I took my SS at 66 - full age, in May - my son was a senior in high school. Although he turned 18 in March, he didn't graduate until June. I discovered that as my dependent child, he qualified to receive 1/2 my monthly benefit. Had I taken SS earlier, he would have gotten 1/2 of the monthly amount at that time through high school graduation. The money is expected to go towards the minor child's support. So he got two months worth, which was a nice check that went towards his college expenses.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
Quitting Drinking. Been doing it for quite a while, nightly, a lot . I'm 62, but man I keep backing out.
An important thing facing you. I wish you the best.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 PM

Default What Life Decision are you thinking about right now?

Relocation ASAP - can't get into the rest right now...
Old 02-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Currently, I'm looking at getting another Boston Terrier puppy... my pal, Piper Otis Jones, had to be put down last April and there has certainly been a HUGE hole in my heart and life since she's been gone...

The breeder I got Piper from has graciously offered a puppy to me, gratis - which is the only way I could really afford one anyway, as money has been very tight of late - and I'm going to make the trek to get the pup from Missoula, Montana, very soon... right now, looks like the last week of this month.

Having a puppy will be a challenge for me at 67 years... and I am very much looking forward to the experience!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-14-2019, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

I am doing well and so is my wife. We are extremely fortunate. Both of us have been retired for 3 years now, though I still work 10 hours/week part time remotely by computer for my old employer as a contractor.

Our last pet died around Thanksgiving, so we are thinking about getting another cat. I miss the old guy that died -- he was a good cat for the last 15 years.

I thought I might have lost my singing voice permanently but today I was able to sing and do a recording that came out okay, so that was rewarding and a great relief. I have been incredibly hoarse for the last month and couldn't sing to save my life. But I think that problem is going away. I was about ready to go to the doctor to find out what might have happened to my larynx. I spent all day in my studio just to celebrate.

I decided I needed to lose some weight because my blood pressure is not getting better in spite of all the drugs I am on. I have already lost 7 lbs of about 30 that I need to lose. But I know how to do this, so I just have to face up to it.

So there are no major life decisions for me. Just little things. As I have noted, my wife and I have been very fortunate. I am already anxious for winter to be over, but that is nothing new.

- Glenn
Old 02-14-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Do I risk the great PNW Snowpocalypse to drive 5 - 6 hours on snow and ice tomorrow to ski at 8000' Anthony Lakes, or stay home and do XC runs at home?

What if the weather doesn't improve by Wintergrass next week? Brave the pass on ice in whiteout conditions or miss the best festival all year, plus eat a few hundred $ in tickets and room reservations?
NO WAY. I can't say about the ski trip, but for Wintergrass? I'm not even into that scene, but.. as long as you're careful.. I would brave it. Leave early, use extreme caution. But.. brave it. No WAY I would eat those tickets and room reservations. Not a chance.

may not be sound advice, but .. just what i'd do.
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic