The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Since when does "hard" equal "good" in picks?
It doesn't. Like you, I think I've tried every material I've run across for a pick. There's a hardness range I happen to like; that's all. As you say, the hardest are pretty bad, but to me soft is even worse.

Quote:
Or are we perhaps talking about "durability?" That would be different, of course.
Hardness. Tested using one of the Rockwell Hardness tests. There are a few posts around here and on UMGF about these picks.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Any recommendations on how to get my hands on a catalin pick?

Would you be willing to share how you do it?
Sorry, I don't know where you can get one.

I sent you a PM about making them.

Here's some related info:

https://umgf.com/what-s-your-pick-t197033.html#p2373105
Old 02-15-2019, 02:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

There are so many factors that must come together to make a great pick material. However, hardness in and of itself would not be even in my top five. Try playing a D-28 with a nickel or a quarter and see how long you can stand it. Not impressive.

sm
Old 02-15-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
There are so many factors that must come together to make a great pick material. However, hardness in and of itself would not be even in my top five. Try playing a D-28 with a nickel or a quarter and see how long you can stand it. Not impressive.

sm
Those are too hard, you need to use a krugerrand.
et al
Old 02-15-2019, 03:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Those are too hard, you need to use a krugerrand.
Rodge, I like your thinking. Then I can finally buy that Collings I've been Jones-ing for.

sm
Old 02-17-2019, 04:22 PM

Thank you all for the input, it's surely a tricky and a long task to establish such a scale, I'll be buying some picks from different materials in various gauges specifically for this purpose and I'll test them subjectively, see what I can make of this.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:

sm
I noticed David of Wolfram has just started making one of his tungsten carbide picks again... which is as hard as they come I don't think he would make them if they sounded bad or mediocre... especially at 70 quid ($90) a pop and the effort involved. Form and smoothness is critical the harder you go; I don't think nickels and quarters quite cut the mustard in those departments.

I shall be splashing out on one soon, and I have a theory that the harder and denser the material, the less energy it takes away from the plucked string, relative to lighter materials. I pick mostly. Looking forward to trying one.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
I noticed David of Wolfram has just started making one of his tungsten carbide picks again... which is as hard as they come I don't think he would make them if they sounded bad or mediocre... especially at 70 quid ($90) a pop and the effort involved. Form and smoothness is critical the harder you go; I don't think nickels and quarters quite cut the mustard in those departments.

I shall be splashing out on one soon, and I have a theory that the harder and denser the material, the less energy it takes away from the plucked string, relative to lighter materials. I pick mostly. Looking forward to trying one.
David's slides are stunningly good and gorgeous. He's also a very sharp guy. He says that beveling the metal takes away that raspyness typically associated with metal picks. I have no reason to doubt him.

I, for one, would love to hear your report on those picks. It's not a direction CLP is going, but I always love to learn new things.

Please do keep us posted.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-21-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
David's slides are stunningly good and gorgeous. He's also a very sharp guy. He says that beveling the metal takes away that raspyness typically associated with metal picks. I have no reason to doubt him.

I, for one, would love to hear your report on those picks. It's not a direction CLP is going, but I always love to learn new things.

Please do keep us posted.

Thanks,
Scott
Yes, no problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
flexibility, hardness, materials, picks, scale