The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-27-2018, 05:32 AM

Default Seeking transcription of Ragamuffin (Hedges)

I am after a quality transcription (with performance notes etc) of Ragamuffin.

Looking at the AGF archives I see the Rootwitch site recommended but it's not working properly and there are no tabs available. Is Stropes.com the only alternative? (12 dollars per piece, ouch).
Old 07-27-2018, 06:00 AM

Yep, that's the only one I've found. Yeah it's $12 but an hour long guitar lessons would typically cost 4-5 times that right?
Old 07-27-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Yep, that's the only one I've found. Yeah it's $12 but an hour long guitar lessons would typically cost 4-5 times that right?
Probably, though comparing like for like, looking at music I have bought recently from the composers themselves and therefore more accurate: Andy McKee charges $2.50 per piece, Pierre Bensusan - $5 per piece, Jon Gomm $3.91 at current exchange rate...
Old 07-27-2018, 06:51 AM

I believe that John Stropes worked very closely with Michael on these transcriptions. I have actually seen the version that came out in Acoustic Guitar Magazine in 1997 and John was featured in that article regarding the very song you inquire of.

You could always email them and ask how authentic the transcript is and about performance notes.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I believe that John Stropes worked very closely with Michael on these transcriptions. I have actually seen the version that came out in Acoustic Guitar Magazine in 1997 and John was featured in that article regarding the very song you inquire of.

You could always email them and ask how authentic the transcript is and about performance notes.
You have given me another idea there, thanks - old guitar magazines.

I don't doubt the Stropes editions are good quality, many sing the praises of Rhythm, Sonority and Silence.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:02 AM

I have the Stropes transcription, it’s as good as it gets. Although some of the sounds are more complicated reading from paper, you just need to see it. There are tons of videos on YouTube with Michael and others demonstrating parts.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 07-27-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
Probably, though comparing like for like, looking at music I have bought recently from the composers themselves and therefore more accurate: Andy McKee charges $2.50 per piece, Pierre Bensusan - $5 per piece, Jon Gomm $3.91 at current exchange rate...
Those prices are based on selling many, many copies of existing transcriptions - not for one-offs on request.
I.e., similar to buying a book of transcriptions, in which each tune might be even cheaper.

If you're asking for a one-off transcription, $12 a piece is cheap. I've charged $35-40 before (to willing customers).
It's a bespoke service, that's the point. The process might take several hours (certainly for something like Ragamuffin). What's the hourly rate for a similar kind of professional service? How much would you pay a plumber to fix a leaky pipe?

If you can't find an existing transcription (that someone else has spent hours and maybe money on), my recommendation would be to download Transcribe and do it yourself. It costs nothing for a month, and is still cheaper to register after that than many transcribers would charge you for a single tune.
https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/screenshots.html
Old 07-27-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Those prices are based on selling many, many copies of existing transcriptions - not for one-offs on request.
If you're asking for a one-off transcription, $12 a piece is cheap.
No, I'm not taking about a one off custom transcription service (which would be very cheap for that money I agree). Stropes is selling off the shelf Hedges tabs, in the same way that the artists I mentioned are selling their own works, but for 12 dollars. One actually costs 20 dollars, look:

http://www.stropes.com/index.php?fa=7&glbm=1

I could do it myself as you suggest, but it's very time consuming as you say and I don't have a lot of that at the moment. I will no doubt buy the Stropes edition as it seems the best option. Just saying he's comparatively expensive, that's all.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Below looks good. Does not state tuning but it is DADGAD. Fingering is pretty obvious. Not sure what performance notes would add beyond just listening to Hedges playing it.

https://guitaralliance.com/instant-s...amuffin%27.pdf

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-27-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not taking about a one off custom transcription service (which would be very cheap for that money I agree). Stropes is selling off the shelf Hedges tabs, in the same way that the artists I mentioned are selling their own works, but for 12 dollars.
Fair point, apologies.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Below looks good. Does not state tuning but it is DADGAD. Fingering is pretty obvious. Not sure what performance notes would add beyond just listening to Hedges playing it.

https://guitaralliance.com/instant-s...amuffin%27.pdf
Not really Rick.
I read through that TAB, and it has a lot of wrong notes, and some of the signature and very recognizable passages of the tune, like the 5th fret slap/pull off, are not even shown. What appears there in its place is not part of the original score. Ditto the percussive thumb snares and finger flicks that are at the heart of a crucial rhythm section, although in that section, at least some the notes appear to be correct, but not totally. Also, some very important string muting passages have been omitted. Those are essential imo if you want to capture the original music as intended.
At the very least, it does not match its heading "As recorded by Michael Hedges from the 1984 album Aerial Boundaries".
If that's what the OP wants, he needs to get the Stropes edition, where every detail is laid out and performance notes are provided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
I have the Stropes transcription, it’s as good as it gets. Although some of the sounds are more complicated reading from paper, you just need to see it. There are tons of videos on YouTube with Michael and others demonstrating parts.
Exactly right.
Ragamuffin is a masterpiece but in it Hedges uses various percussive and rhythmic techniques, along with selective string muting, to achieve his musical goal, and it’s not summarily evident how he does all that when you watch him in videos, even up close and playing it slowly.
To learn it right, you need the Stropes edition to fill in those crucial blanks.
Watching the good videos available on the tune helps too, especially of Hedges.
For that tune, it's especially important to get the right hand to multi-task efficiently, i.e. hit the right notes while providing the distinct percussive rhythm. It's very awkward at first, but with slow practice, and playing it just as Stropes wrote it down, it all works out.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-29-2018, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Not really Rick.
I read through that TAB, and it has a lot of wrong notes, and some of the signature and very recognizable passages of the tune, like the 5th fret slap/pull off, are not even shown. What appears there in its place is not part of the original score.
Yes, I had already discounted that one, a cursory glance at the score suggested there was a lot missing/inaccurate. Thanks for your input and examples Andre, I'll get the Stropes edition as there is clearly no quality alternative.

Edit: -Oh no I won't, he charges $33 shipping outside the US!!

This is ridiculous, hasn't the guy heard of PDFs/digital delivery? $45 dollars for one score!

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 07-29-2018 at 04:04 AM. Reason: crazy price discovered
Old 07-29-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, I had already discounted that one, a cursory glance at the score suggested there was a lot missing/inaccurate. Thanks for your input and examples Andre, I'll get the Stropes edition as there is clearly no quality alternative.

Edit: -Oh no I won't, he charges $33 shipping outside the US!!

This is ridiculous, hasn't the guy heard of PDFs/digital delivery? $45 dollars for one score!
Hmmm . I'd repeat (or rather amend) my earlier advice in that case:
1. Get the guitaralliance tab;
2. Download Transcribe and correct it all yourself (you can obviously hear well enough to spot the errors in it.) (If you can convert a Hedges video to MP4, the program will work with that too.)

It shouldn't really take much longer than working through the Stropes and getting that under your fingers (which I'm guessing would take a while). The program is free for a month and only $39 to register after that.
Then you'll never have to rely on someone else's tab for anything ever again. (and maybe you can sell your own versions... )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write