The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2019, 03:10 PM

You're already getting the list of every smaller-than-dread guitar made.

What do you consider "small body"? What does "pro level instrument" mean? What is your budget?
Old 02-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirguitar View Post
A OOO is generally 24.9" scale and a smaller body yet will be ok with Strumming.

or check out Taylor GS Mini.
They are 23" and yet sound great strummed.
Assuming we are talking Martin designs, the 000 14 fret design is a short scale (44.9") but the 12 fret original 000 would be a stadard scale (25.4")

I know nothing about Taylors.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirguitar View Post
A OOO is generally 24.9" scale and a smaller body yet will be ok with Strumming.

or check out Taylor GS Mini.
They are 23" and yet sound great strummed.
Martin makes some fine 24.9 OOO's that are fine for both finger style and strumming.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-21-2019, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
You're already getting the list of every smaller-than-dread guitar made.

What do you consider "small body"? What does "pro level instrument" mean? What is your budget?

@dneal, my budget is about $3500.00. I would consider Martin Short Scale my benchmark.

Great questions
Old 02-21-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdamato View Post
@dneal, my budget is about $3500.00. I would consider Martin Short Scale my benchmark.

Great questions
Most everybody makes a good 000/OM. 00's seem to be a bit more of a challenge for some makers, and can lack authoritative bass and/or sound boxy. 0 size and true parlors compound the issue.

I spent years looking for a small body with a truly big sound. People will recommend Larrivee Parlors, Seagull Grands, etc.. I still own those two guitars, and neither gets the job done for me. I've tried Santa Cruz Style 1's and PJs, Collings Baby's and 0's; and many others.

Froggy Bottom excels with big sound from small bodies. Although I'm admittedly a big fan, it was the sound that made me one. Patience and a lot of looking might get you a used L, C or H close to your price range. More likely is a something like a Goodall Parlor. They're really 00 sized, and have a full tone. Lastly I would consider a Huss and Dalton 00-SP (I'd avoid the single 0).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion