The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Default Effects send and return

Can someone confirm that my thinking is right - I’ve got a number of effects pedals I want some EQ first and also XLR out to the P.A. Im going to get a Fishman platinum pro as it has effects send and return so my line of thinking is

Guitar > Platinum Pro - effects send from into > looper, chorus, delay > back into effects return platinum pro > then XLR from platinum pro to P.A.

Is this right and will all the effects then work through the P.A. with the guitar still hitting the EQ processed sound first?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 02-03-2019, 12:00 PM

Yes, that should work.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Yes, that should work.
Thank you! I’ll get the trigger pulled : )

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 02-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Yes. With a unit like that, that would be the way to do it, and with an acoustic guitar, it's a very good way to add effects to your chain--especially if you're using a passive pickup. I've been doing it with my Radial PZ-Pre for years. Just be aware that if you plan to use the boost switch, you should find out where the boost function of the Platinum Pro is in relation to the FX loop. In the Radial, for example (version 2), it's before the loop, so I can hit a freeze pedal or record a loop without a boost, then hit the boost and play a louder lead over the unboosted output of the the freeze pedal or looper. On the older version of the pedal, the boost was after the loop, which meant that everything in the loop got boosted together. I had to place my freeze pedal after the 1/4" amp output, which put it after the boost (fine, given that I was not going into a PA for that particular application, otherwise I would have had to put a DI box after that output, defeating part of the purpose of the pedal in the first place). I don't know where the boost is on the Platinum Pro, but you should find out.

Louis
Old 02-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Wouldn't the looper be best placed after the chorus and delay?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-03-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Yes. With a unit like that, that would be the way to do it, and with an acoustic guitar, it's a very good way to add effects to your chain--especially if you're using a passive pickup. I've been doing it with my Radial PZ-Pre for years. Just be aware that if you plan to use the boost switch, you should find out where the boost function of the Platinum Pro is in relation to the FX loop. In the Radial, for example (version 2), it's before the loop, so I can hit a freeze pedal or record a loop without a boost, then hit the boost and play a louder lead over the unboosted output of the the freeze pedal or looper. On the older version of the pedal, the boost was after the loop, which meant that everything in the loop got boosted together. I had to place my freeze pedal after the 1/4" amp output, which put it after the boost (fine, given that I was not going into a PA for that particular application, otherwise I would have had to put a DI box after that output, defeating part of the purpose of the pedal in the first place). I don't know where the boost is on the Platinum Pro, but you should find out.

Louis
Cheers Louis makes sense

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 02-20-2019, 11:55 AM

Default Platinum Pro FX loop placement

Hi,

Personally, I have an issue with where the effects loop comes in the signal chain on the Platinum Pro DI.

I have been using the box for a couple of years now, but only recently with an ambient reverb pedal in the loop. Unfortunately, the effects return comes BEFORE both the tuner mute and the boost. So when I press the tuner/mute button, the audio from the effects is killed, including reverb trails and ambient backgrounds. Similarly, if I hit the boost button, any existing reverb trails and backgrounds are suddenly boosted, rather than just the guitar signal at its source.

I'm quite upset about this and not sure how to fix it. I would certainly say be very careful if you want to use a looper with the Fishman Platinum Pro.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Wouldn't the looper be best placed after the chorus and delay?
I agree that's how I set my chain. Looper before would influence the loop with the effects engaged.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Yellow View Post
Hi,

Personally, I have an issue with where the effects loop comes in the signal chain on the Platinum Pro DI.

I have been using the box for a couple of years now, but only recently with an ambient reverb pedal in the loop. Unfortunately, the effects return comes BEFORE both the tuner mute and the boost. So when I press the tuner/mute button, the audio from the effects is killed, including reverb trails and ambient backgrounds. Similarly, if I hit the boost button, any existing reverb trails and backgrounds are suddenly boosted, rather than just the guitar signal at its source.

I'm quite upset about this and not sure how to fix it. I would certainly say be very careful if you want to use a looper with the Fishman Platinum Pro.
This was the problem with the original version of the Radial PZ-Pre. I "solved" it, as I noted in my earlier post, by putting my Freeze pedal after the 1/4" output (between that and my combo amp). Since I never had to interface with a PA with that rig--just into the amp--that was fine (if necessary, I would have had to use a passive DI after the Freeze). I now have the newer version of the PZ-Pre, which puts the boost before the loop, so it all works just fine and I can use the DI outs of the Radial when I need to--and now I sometimes do need that.

So, that's, I think, the best option for you. Put the reverb pedal after the 1/4" output, and then do whatever you need to do with the signal after the pedal. You'll be fine going into a combo amp or via a short unbalanced cable into a line input on a mixer. If you need to go a greater distance, use a simple passive DI.

Louis
Old 02-21-2019, 07:08 AM

Thanks, Louis. I am aware that using the 1/4in jack out into the effects would work, and I may try that in venues where a decent DI box is provided. But I spent money on a combined EQ and DI because that's what I wanted. (I don't use a guitar amp.)
Old 02-21-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Yellow View Post
Thanks, Louis. I am aware that using the 1/4in jack out into the effects would work, and I may try that in venues where a decent DI box is provided. But I spent money on a combined EQ and DI because that's what I wanted. (I don't use a guitar amp.)
You might have to replace the Fishman unit with one that puts the loop where you need it. FWIW, I'm very happy with the newer version of the Radial PZ-Pre.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification