The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-18-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvanesebob View Post
I don't own a LP, because……..I'm a sit down player, and the waist is too narrow, and I cant strum without hitting my leg.
Try shortening your strap to get the guitar up off you lap Bob. And if you now say “I don’t use a strap and NEVER, EVER will😂” you’re short changing yourself. It makes playing smaller bodied guitars very comfortable when seated.

frank d.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Try shortening your strap to get the guitar up off you lap Bob. And if you now say “I don’t use a strap and NEVER, EVER will😂” you’re short changing yourself. It makes playing smaller bodied guitars very comfortable when seated.

frank d.
I tried using a strap a couple times. Just don't like them for some reason.

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 12-18-2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post

My current “Les Paul”

Used to own a Studio, but this one put it to shame from construction and tone. I’m gasing for a good top tribute a friend of mine is selling.
I too owned a studio, and feel that my current MIJ Special completely puts it to shame. Not a great pic, but the brand is "Bacchus" and apparently quite a bit of the work was done by hand on these guitars, compared to a Gibson. The p-90's are lower output than Gibson, they sound tighter and less wooly with high gain, and rolling them down can get me some fairly convincing Strat tones.

RIMG0013 by , on Flickr
Old 12-19-2022, 12:44 AM

Quote:
They’ve had weight relieved Lesters since 1983, rokdog. They’ve had Lesters with P90’s and NewYork Mini’s since the 1950’s. Like your signature line says…..it’s all in your head!��������

frank d.
That's right Frankie Boy!!!!

Non-weight relieved R7 and weighs in @ 8.1 lbs...

I love how the fat Les Paul tone sits against the Martin D17M acoustic @ 2:44 here. And it's the guitar tone the perfectly expressed the frustration I was having in my life at the time!

Old 12-19-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

I love how the fat Les Paul tone sits against the Martin D17M acoustic @ 2:44 here. And it's the guitar tone the perfectly expressed the frustration I was having in my life at the time!

Thats a good looking goldtop Rocky! Your soundbyte is great. I really liked the lead work over the acoustic. Crisp and clean with space to let the phrases breath. Very nice work all around.
If we don't get a chance to catch up this week, my ginger guitar slinging friend, Merry Christmas and Happy NewYear to you and your lady! Wishing you the best of all things Dano.
frank
Old 12-20-2022, 04:06 PM

It may be a plain jane...but this thing is just killer!
Old 12-20-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch4me View Post
It may be a plain jane...but this thing is just killer!
I think those new Specials are killer. My duet partner just got one and I played it for a few hours the other day. And the sound of the P90s through his tweed Princeton amp was just awesome. Although, his Special was a bit off on the G string intonation, but I had a spare MojoAxe tailpiece that was intonated correctly, and his intonation is almost perfect now.

Quote:
That's a good looking goldtop Rocky! Your soundbyte is great. I really liked the lead work over the acoustic. Crisp and clean with space to let the phrases breath. Very nice work all around.
If we don't get a chance to catch up this week, my ginger guitar slinging friend, Merry Christmas and Happy NewYear to you and your lady! Wishing you the best of all things Dano.
frank
Thanks Frank. Happy Holidays to you and yours from way out west Utah
Old 12-21-2022, 01:17 AM

Quote:

Ok now I want this guitar. Very nice!
Old 12-21-2022, 08:40 AM

[QUOTE=gretsch4me;7150408]It may be a plain jane...but this thing is just killer! [/QUOTE

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. LP Single-cut Specials with P90's RULE!

My 2005 LP Special in Red, 2007 in TV. 1980 Yamaha LP, and 2001 R8

Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 12-21-2022, 02:43 PM

Quote:

That's great stuff, man.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Ok now I want this guitar. Very nice!
Thanks, I really like this R7, and I have a R4 for when I want the P90 sound, it's more raw sounding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
That's great stuff, man.
Thank you!!!
Old 12-21-2022, 08:16 PM

I have one, an '85 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. When I bought it in '87 I had no idea it was 'top of the line'. All I knew was it looked like the one on the cover of Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, and when I played it, it sounded like Down By The River. My belated college graduation gift to myself after I saw a classified ad in the local paper saying Les Pauls one third off with any trade (and I already had a decent MIJ copy). It was the last one they had. $795 out the door.

Although I'm mostly acoustic these days, it's not going anywhere. The '82 SG, '91 Telecaster Plus, and '96 Clapton Strat in the basement are no match for the 9.4 pounds of Shaw-bucker or neck pup tone dialed back to two bliss .

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 12-22-2022, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I got a LP special not too long ago. I always thought they looked sweet. All solid mahogany, heavy as heck, but I love that neck pickup tone. Very nice for blues and jazz. I will admit, the weight of it is kind of daunting. I just got a lighter weight semi hollow for practicing.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:49 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Here's a pic from 1978 just for fun. I am on the left, my bandmate Bob Haymes is on the right. We are playing a dual lead in concert.

Both of us had '74 Kalamazoo LP Standards. I played through a '66 Gibson GA-55 RVT Ranger and he played through a Super Reverb, both 4x10 combos. His guitar is long gone, mine is still with me and completely stock. It has been refretted. And me? I've lost weight to where I am back in jeans one size larger than those and will probably need that size again soon.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-22-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Here's a pic from 1978 just for fun. I am on the left, my bandmate Bob Haymes is on the right. We are playing a dual lead in concert.

Both of us had '74 Kalamazoo LP Standards. I played through a '66 Gibson GA-55 RVT Ranger and he played through a Super Reverb, both 4x10 combos. His guitar is long gone, mine is still with me and completely stock. It has been refretted. And me? I've lost weight to where I am back in jeans one size larger than those and will probably need that size again soon.

Bob
Much to the chagrin of many of you forumites, I’m hijacking this train. You’ve had eleven pages of Les Paul minutia(more than enough for now) and I want to know how Bob’s dropping weight and getting back to teenaged sized jeans!!!

Let’s go Bob….SPILL THE BEANS, BROTHER! How are you loosing weight during the holidays?

Merry Christmas my friend, and hoping your lovely wife is fully on the mend, too!
All the best,
frank d.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars