The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2022, 03:05 PM

Default Willcutt's curbside only, nobody inside

Looks from their inventory like one of the finest places in the country to try out some fine acoustic guitars and buy one, but the web page says no, can't come in.

Is this the case at all the legendary places like Gruhn's, Elderly, Norm's, LA Guitars, CME, all the places in DC, NYC, and elsewhere?

I know the guy in Louisville, CO, Wildwood Guitars, is skittish, and likely still closed, but the others?

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 05-23-2022, 03:12 PM

Went to a store last month in New York that was appointment only. Went to two others that were open like they used to be.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

A number of places moved to that model during covid and, like a lot of restaurants, realized that staffing, lighting/heating/overhead isn't worth it anymore. Their bottom lines were positively impacted by becoming online/pickup only so they didn't go back.

I believe a few businesses are still worried/scared about infection, but I think most got forced to try a different model and it actually was favorable for them.

Eddie's has been appointment only since before Covid, I think, for that same reason. It also ensure that expensive stuff is handled properly. I know in the case of some other stores, as well, they have all the instruments photographed and detailed when they come in, but many get packaged right back up to be sent out quicker, rather than having to have everything out to try and see.

That said, many of the biggies all overt the country that feed off foot traffic couldn't wait to open back up and did. A couple you mentioned never real shut down.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:19 PM

Things are going backwards a little bit right now. Some schools are going back to remote.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-23-2022, 06:30 PM

As others have said, it could be due to any differing number of factors. Or a combination of them.

One big decision point is how the area is being impacted by any surges. It can and does vary widely city to city. Also while they may want to return to normal, there's also supply chain. It may not make sense to open more broadly and bring back your staff if you simply don't have the guitars to support it.

My local treasure, McCabe's, has been open. But the only reason they're able to do it is that they do a brisk business in used and consignment. They also offer lessons, and resumed concerts.

If they only had their new inventory to rely on, I'd wager they'd shutter and go curbside only pretty quickly. Taylor is the most reliable in terms of new product, Martin probably second but by a good margin. All of their other dealers literally trickle in product.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 05-23-2022, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Make an appointment and go play. Their better guitars (2k plus) are in a separate building than their retail store anyway. I have bought many a guitar from there and always enjoy making an appointment with Eric C and going in and playing the guitars I have selected to play before my arrival. A great experience there - and you have always had to make the appointment to play their higher-end guitars - even before COVID
Old 05-23-2022, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

It's not that way at all in Nashville right now. I've been in Carter's way too often as a matter of fact and my wallet has suffered.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

It's not 2020 anymore. Wildwood knows that. Sounds like they have transitioned to an online mail-order business model. I guess you don't have to pay a housekeeper that way.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Willie's Guitars in St Paul went to appointment only for trying out guitars. Appointments do seem readily available. You can now browse if no one is sampling guitars. They are in the process of moving, and I am not sure if they will continue that policy going forward.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:50 PM

Hey now... McCabe's is my local treasure also. Man, they did a fine job on a K&K install in my Collings.

I did check out Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto and was delighted to try a Huss, Santa Cruz and Collings side-by-side. If I had wanted to, they had high end Martin/Taylor also. May those places stay open forever!
Old 05-23-2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
It's not 2020 anymore. Wildwood knows that. Sounds like they have transitioned to an online mail-order business model. I guess you don't have to pay a housekeeper that way.
True, but one of the things that made Wildwood so cool pre-pandemic was that you could peruse the website and then go in and tell them exactly which guitars you wanted to try. I actually reached out to Wildwood recently and they are only offering curbside but did mention that their guitars are truly fresh and new (unlike some other place that says that, while actually selling fondled guitars as "new" )
Old 05-23-2022, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Will someone help a UK-er out please? What do you US-ers mean by ‘kerbside only’ in relation to guitar stores?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-24-2022, 01:06 AM

The model for most retail establishments for hundreds of years was to have stock in a physical location and enough staff to address the needs of the customers. That has been changing for the past 2+ decades.

Since the onset of the pandemic, many retailers have lost staff and/or have had reduced sales volume. For some retailers, the best way to address the converging pressures and trends is to move to appointment only. I can see how that would make sense for smaller guitar shops.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:31 AM

I shall help! “Curb” = the raised edge of the road in towns, so “curbside” = pickup your order outside, don’t come into the store. Guitar stores in my area (Oregon) are still open like normal, as far as I know.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
I shall help! “Curb” = the raised edge of the road in towns, so “curbside” = pickup your order outside, don’t come into the store. Guitar stores in my area (Oregon) are still open like normal, as far as I know.
Thanks Skeezix! Of course I know what the kerb (UK spelling) is (and that curious American mis-spelling, 'curb') but, as far as I know, we haven't seen the phenomenon of 'kerbside' opening here in the UK. Our stores have tended to be 'fully closed' or 'open but with a face-covering requirement', so thanks for clarifying for me.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion