The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-04-2023, 07:43 PM

Default Netflix addendum

Has anyone watched Fauda? About a counter-terrorist team in occupied parts of Israel. Very realistic, brings up many family/cultural issues, extremely well performed by Arab/Israeli/Palestinian actors. Another good movie: The Age of Adaline......well acted by Blake Lively.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:35 PM

I've watched the first 2 seasons and will start S3 tonight.

We took a break last night and binge watched all 3 episodes of the excellent Norwegian series called 'War Sailor'.

My wife and I have enjoyed several other Israeli made series too - relatively small budget but like 'Fauda' all have been big on storyline.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-05-2023, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

We enjoyed all 4 seasons of Fauda. Lior Raz, who portrays Doron Kabilio in the series was (among many things) Arnold Schwarzenegger's bodyguard.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Fauda is one of my favorite shows. Incredible.

Just saw the first episode of "The Diplomat". Really liked it, very promising. Smart, fast-moving dialog and scenarios much like the West Wing. I love it when a smart show challenges me to keep up. Not everything is explained fully or hits you over the head...kind of like real life. Lots of subtlety and intrigue. Anyone else watching it yet?
Old 04-24-2023, 12:21 PM

Has anyone mentioned "Night Agent"?

Wife and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2.

If you like the story of nobody to big time somebody, it is good.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 04-24-2023, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Dirk, we watched the first three episodes of "The Diplomat" last night and enjoyed it very much. I mentioned to my wife that it reminded me of "West Wing" with the pace and snappy dialogue.

I don't know that I've ever seen Keri Russell in anything previously, but she is terrific in this.

And, is it just me, or does it resemble a "real life" scenario in many ways?
Old 04-24-2023, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
Dirk, we watched the first three episodes of "The Diplomat" last night and enjoyed it very much. I mentioned to my wife that it reminded me of "West Wing" with the pace and snappy dialogue.

I don't know that I've ever seen Keri Russell in anything previously, but she is terrific in this.

Cool, awesome, glad you liked it too! Looking forward to seeing more when I have time. I generally have not been terribly interested Keri Russell as an actress, but I agree she's great in this so far. I saw her in some cheesy Guitar movie with Robin Williams and Johnathan Rhys Meyers, she was OK. Maybe I just thought her part was silly. She was also in The Americans, but that show didn't click with me. But she's killing it in this. Rufus Sewell (the husband) also impressed a lot. The whole cast really, and the writing. Excellent.

I'm not sure what the real life scenario is you're referring to, didn't jump out for me.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:21 PM

I also watched the first 3 episodes of The Diplomat last night - enjoyed it and looking forward to watching the rest.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-24-2023, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post

Keri Russell is best known for her role in "The Americans" about a Soviet spy "couple" in 1980s America. A lot of people really like the show. I liked it for a while but eventually found it too over-the-top and it lost its believability, for me anyway. Of course, believability in a spy series would probably mean a very boring show, so....!
Before that she starred in a show called "Felicity" which I never saw.

I listened to a very recent Fresh Air interview with her if anyone is interested in podcasting it. She talks about the making of all three shows.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Haven't looked at the entire thread, but Wifey and I got turned on to 'Midnight Diner' by one of her co-workers.

Set in Tokyo Japan, the dialog is in Japanese and sub-titled, so you have to pay attention (unless you speak Japanese of course).

It's a series of short stories (half hour episodes) about the various patrons that frequent this tiny diner in Tokyo that is only open from 12:00 AM (Midnight) to 7:00 AM the next morning.

The plot is a bit quirky, and a story in any given episode usually involves a personal relationship with a patron outside of the diners environment.

An added bonus is that a brief overview of a dish served in an episode is presented, with prep tips - way cool.

Good music too.

D

Last edited by dhodgeh; 04-24-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:01 PM

I really enjoyed Beef with Ali Wong and Steven Yeun. Really compelling. I think Yeun is incredibly talented, and I haven't even seen The Walking Dead.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
Has anyone mentioned "Night Agent"?

Wife and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2.

If you like the story of nobody to big time somebody, it is good.
I watched season one but the…actress…playing the Chief of Staff was so incredibly bad it was totally distracting for me. Not sure when I’ve seen a less believable performance.

Otherwise good fun.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:11 AM

Another nod to the Diplomat. The acting is incredible, with top honors going to Keri Russell.
Old 04-25-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Cool, awesome, glad you liked it too! Looking forward to seeing more when I have time. I generally have not been terribly interested Keri Russell as an actress, but I agree she's great in this so far. I saw her in some cheesy Guitar movie with Robin Williams and Johnathan Rhys Meyers, she was OK. Maybe I just thought her part was silly. She was also in The Americans, but that show didn't click with me. But she's killing it in this. Rufus Sewell (the husband) also impressed a lot. The whole cast really, and the writing. Excellent.

I'm not sure what the real life scenario is you're referring to, didn't jump out for me.
If you like Rufus Sewell, give "The Man in the High Castle" a try...I really enjoyed it, but--fair warning--I was a big fan of "The Americans" and Russell in that, too...
Old 04-25-2023, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I just finished watching "Beef," which was a fun ride. It took some twists and turns that I wasn't expecting, and both the writing and acting are good.

"The Diplomat" is probably next in my Netflix queue (although it may have to wait for some HBO programming... final seasons of "Succession" and "Barry" are happening now). I'm drawn to the show specifically b/c of Kerri Russell, who was fantastic in "The Americans" (one of my top 5 all-time shows).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic