The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-26-2016, 12:55 AM

Congrats! If its the one that was at Dream, I spent many a moment debating if I could scrape enough money to buy it based on the sound clips alone.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:59 AM

Sweet. Nice woods. Bocote is new to me as well. My new Kinnaird F-1 is bound with it and it looks stellar.

I really like that Brian left the FB natural instead of staining it. Really nice touch.

Congrats and keep us posted on the new build.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 02-29-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciiwar View Post
Congrats! If its the one that was at Dream, I spent many a moment debating if I could scrape enough money to buy it based on the sound clips alone.
Brian did have it at Dream. I was able to work out a deal with them to bring it home. I have joked with Brian that I was fairly ambivalent when I first played it, and while it was beautiful, felt the tone was a bit of a let down. Then I put on new strings and it was literally jaw-dropping. The strings didn't look bad, but must have simply been shot from the years of sitting.

I'm glad there was no camera to record the reaction on my face when I first played the new strings, because I probably looked like an idiot who was hearing a guitar for the very first time. It was so head and shoulders above anything I had played before that I don't have the right words to describe it.

I expect it's something like people asking if an Olson or Somogyi or... is "worth it." Then they actually play one.

This experience really changed guitar for me, in a good (but expensive) way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop