The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 AM

While not liking an instrument from the get go is not a great sign sometimes things can work out doing small things or checking a set up.
It boils down to how much time you feel like dedicating and of there is a return policy involved ect.

If you don't get satisfaction from small things though I , personally, would move on.

As far as the J-40 I've owned a late 80's model for almost 25 years. This is before the major bling and scalloped braces.

You can find them between $1500 - $2000 last I checked.

If I could only have one (which was exactly the case for years for me) they are a very good way to go.

Strong bass and full highs. Real comfortable. Good volume and dynamics. Takes a beating.

Mine has been a rock as far as adjustments go.

To me it sounds a lot like a good D-28 but a little more comfortable.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty8 View Post
Well, it's about a month since I posted this thread. I took the advice and tried a set of D'Addario non-coated strings. I've also just played the guitar rather frequently... at least a couple of hours a day. To my surprise, I'm enjoying it. Go figure. I don't know the change is 1) the strings; 2) playing it more; 3) my attitude toward the guitar. But it doesn't really matter why. So, although I like Elixir strings on my Taylor guitars. I'll ride with the D'Addario's on the M-36 for a while.
My local shops typically do not carry the guitars I am interested in so I have ordered several online depending on the return policy to save my arse in case the guitar is a total mis-match for me. For both my Taylor 812 and 522, I had a similar experience as you. With the stock Elixirs, fingerstyle they were great but strummed they sounded harsh and muddy to my ears. On both I've gone to non-coated strings of different flavors and they both now consistently bring big smiles to my face. In addition to D'Addario's, I would offer to give the following string sets a try:

Martin Retro's
Martin Silk and Steels
Martin Silk and Phosphors
Thomastik Infeld Plectrums
JP PB's

Glad you and the M36 are bonding. Have fun exploring the string possibilities.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-10-2015, 07:11 AM

Default Didn't work for me

Same experience. Never enjoyed mine. Got it used in trade on forum three years ago...traded it out three months later. Not my thing
Old 12-10-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
You've only tried coated strings? Slap a set of D'Addario EJ-16's on that guitar. (There isn't a coated string made that I want to use ... and yes, I know I'm in a minority) Short of a broken tuning machine, there's no reason to think that going out of tune is the fault of the guitar. I'd be interested to know your restringing technique.
+1 (and to the others). To the OP -- maybe this is not the guitar for you, and maybe you'll want to move on, but I'd try a couple of different strings first. Maybe the D'Addarios for a few days to a week, and then maybe try the Monels. At some point you move on and cut your losses, but I'd try non-coated strings first.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:28 AM

It's interesting that the OP revived the thread to say that he thinks he may be bonding with the guitar after all, and all the subsequent posts are saying, too bad, maybe it's time to move on.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 12-10-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
Did you play the guitar before you bought it, or order it sign unseen? Seems like you already made your mind up about it. If it can't be returned I'd just sell it, cut my losses and chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Being a left handed player, no, I didn't play it before hand. I almost never can. But the price I paid was good enough that it won't be a loss if I sell it. Right handed players don't really understand the world of guitars as it pertains to lefties. But no, I won't lose $ so there are no losses to cut.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Well, it's about a month since I posted this thread. I took the advice and tried a set of D'Addario non-coated strings. I've also just played the guitar rather frequently... at least a couple of hours a day. To my surprise, I'm enjoying it. Go figure. I don't know the change is 1) the strings; 2) playing it more; 3) my attitude toward the guitar. But it doesn't really matter why. So, although I like Elixir strings on my Taylor guitars. I'll ride with the D'Addario's on the M-36 for a while.
That's great. Love my 0000, really is a do it all guitar. Glad the string change helped. I would echo Rich and recommend you try a set of Retros next.

Lastly, if you haven't already you might consider going over to UMGF and posting in "The M Owners Association" thread. Always great to see another nice M bodied Martin!

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.

Last edited by Jarlaxle; 12-10-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Being a left handed player, no, I didn't play it before hand. I almost never can. But the price I paid was good enough that it won't be a loss if I sell it. Right handed players don't really understand the world of guitars as it pertains to lefties. But no, I won't lose $ so there are no losses to cut.
Fair enough, and sorry it sucks being a left handed player. Hope you find a guitar that you can bond with or end up liking what you have, and best of luck! I like Martin Marquis or Martin Retros on my 000-15M and DR Rare's on my J45 (DR Rare's brought out the most low end and growl out of the J45 than any other string I've tried on that particular guitar). I love D-Addario electric strings, but found them uninspiring on my acoustics.

Last edited by sbpark; 12-10-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I use D'Aqddario on my Martins. You might also want to try some John Pearce.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacks Focus View Post
It's interesting that the OP revived the thread to say that he thinks he may be bonding with the guitar after all, and all the subsequent posts are saying, too bad, maybe it's time to move on.

I noted that too!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-10-2015, 10:15 AM

Default take a minute to really read the post

Thanks Lacks Focus for your astute observation.

Its like folks just don't read the post.
Or they read one line and run with it and then others respond to that.

OP is saying he has found a way to LIKE HIS M36.
Howsabout we direct our responses to that?

I'll start.

Great lefty8.
I love my M36 and have tried a number of strings, currently Retro Monels.
That can be a fun experiment in itself.

Glad to hear it's working better for you and thanks for reviving your thread with the update.

Last edited by woodbox; 12-10-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:34 AM

Well I'm guilty but was trying to help.... happy for the OP.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4001 View Post
Well I'm guilty but was trying to help.... happy for the OP.
Arrrr... 40 lashes to ya'!
Old 12-10-2015, 03:39 PM

Lefty8 glad to hear you are finally happy with your 36.

I purchased a 36 over a week ago, untried/unseen. You know what? Like you, I'm not sure what to make of it.

It doesn't have that umph like my OM-28V and not as much overtones and bass as most Martins are known to have. I think it would make a very good recording guitar because it is quite balance.

I have John Pearce lights on it and have just ordered Retro lights and SP pb lights, hopefully to try the D'Addario like you mentioned too.

On the upside........this guy is very comfortable and although I prefer 3/4" nut I don't mind this 11/16". I think it will come good, I need to give it time.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:29 AM

Default Thanks to everyone

Thank you to everyone for your input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
left handed, m-36, m36, martin