The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-17-2021, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
RP, since you've owned both Emerald and Rainsong, any quick thoughts on why you prefer Rainsong? Was it primarily ergonomic, or tonal, or something else?
In short, I preferred the brighter Rainsong tone to the warmer tone of the Emeralds I owned with the obvious exception of the Amicus which I found painful to play because of arthritis in my fretting hand. (FWIW I also prefer the tone of Taylors to that of the Martins and Larrivees that I owned.) Emerald's tone is very focused, I suppose due to the sound hole, but I prefer the more "spread out" Rainsong tone. I also like the more traditional style of Rainsongs compared to Emeralds which are admittedly beautiful and incredibly comfortable to play. I never weighed my guitars, but my subjective impression is that Rainsongs are lighter. Lighter weight is very desirable when one is a 71 year-old with arthritis who prefers larger bodied guitars. While Emerald's bevels make them uber comfortable to play - I've previously said that one doesn't hold an Emerald, the player embraces it - I find even Jumbo Rainsongs very comfortable to play.

Obviously this is very subjective, and some or many will disagree with my impressions. This is also not in any intended to be a wholesale indictment of Emeralds. Let's face it, they make terrific guitars with a dizzying number of options that allow one to create a work of art that also plays music...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-17-2021, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
In short, I preferred the brighter Rainsong tone to the warmer tone of the Emeralds I owned with the obvious exception of the Amicus which I found painful to play because of arthritis in my fretting hand. (FWIW I also prefer the tone of Taylors to that of the Martins and Larrivees that I owned.) Emerald's tone is very focused, I suppose due to the sound hole, but I prefer the more "spread out" Rainsong tone. I also like the more traditional style of Rainsongs compared to Emeralds which are admittedly beautiful and incredibly comfortable to play. I never weighed my guitars, but my subjective impression is that Rainsongs are lighter. Lighter weight is very desirable when one is a 71 year-old with arthritis who prefers larger bodied guitars. While Emerald's bevels make them uber comfortable to play - I've previously said that one doesn't hold an Emerald, the player embraces it - I find even Jumbo Rainsongs very comfortable to play.

Obviously this is very subjective, and some or many will disagree with my impressions. This is also not in any intended to be a wholesale indictment of Emeralds. Let's face it, they make terrific guitars with a dizzying number of options that allow one to create a work of art that also plays music...
You like what you like. I think carbon fiber guitar enthusiasts have a great variety of manufacturers, tones, body styles, looks, and ergonomics to choose from these days. We see inquiries here about "What guitar should I buy?", especially when it isn't easy to get your hands on many of the CF options... nice to be able to work through the process to get to what pleases you the most.

Like you, my choice of wood acoustic guitars is Taylor. When I bought that first CF, a RainSong Shorty, I really thought it would be my one and only carbon fiber; I didn't see where carbon fiber would replace my preference for any of my Taylors Then, I ordered an Emerald, pretty much on a whim. Since then, I've had the opportunity to try other CF makers (and plenty of wood), but... I like what I like. Each time I think, "I don't see any changes of my current guitar line-up...," something pops up, saying: "Look at me! Shiny!"

RainSong makes great guitars. Emeralds fit me, my hands, and ears better, but I understand the appeal of each. I truly enjoy seeing what folks here choose... this isn't a "Chevy vs Ford" kinda thing. When I see a gripe here that one brand "gets more love than another" on this forum, I am perplexed: it makes zero difference what someone else chooses. When I pick up any of my guitars, I often think: "This one is my favorite." Until I play the next one.

I hope each of those RainSongs is your favorite. Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2021, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

"We like what we like" - well said Captain Jim!

Before last week, I had a very slight preference for the response of Emerald over RainSong - as a former Martin dread player, the X30 is a bit closer in response to Martin dreads compared to RainSong. Then enters the McPherson Sable last week - tonally, I thought Emerald and Rainsong were different response variations on the same tone - still think that. But for what I do the Sable is better than either of them. I have a woody X30 on order and I had my red carbon X30 - but I sold the red carbon X30 to fund the Sable. The RainSong Nashville jumbo isn't going anywhere - the Sable has similar balance of tone across the strings like the RainSong but with that woody like resonance of the Emerald - essentially the best of both worlds, but with an even more woody tone.

Oh, and although I admit it is not very visually attractive, the very grippy back and sides of the Sable just fit me like a glove. Ergonomically the Emerald with all of its bevels and curves still feels somewhat foreign to me - especially since the Sable entered the scene.

This certainly has been an education in CF this year!
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 05-17-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I'm just a guy who doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs or dress well. Over the course of the past year, I've learned to cut my own hair. Sold off my 10 year-old sports car in February and own a five year old Honda CRV that's paid off and isn't going anywhere. I pay little in rent and heat with wood, don't have cable and use a flip-phone with no land line. No pricey vacations or second homes for this guy - for me an enjoyable getaway is going to Virginia Beach for a couple of days in the spring or fall. In addition to membership in an athletic club where I swim indoors 5-7 days/week, my addiction of choice has been buying, selling and playing guitars. I ultimately realized that my cabin in the woods is simply not well-suited for wooden guitars so I swore them off. In their place I've auditioned Emeralds and higher-end Rainsongs before landing on my current bunch. Emeralds are terrific guitars, but I've established a preference for Rainsongs that seems to be working for me...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 05-17-2021 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
When I see a gripe here that one brand "gets more love than another" on this forum, I am perplexed: it makes zero difference what someone else chooses.
That’s one that puzzle me mightily also. It ebbs and flows - it was mostly Emerald for a while, and now Rainsong is getting much of the traffic.

Same as it ever was. If your favourite hasn’t been mentioned for a while - mention it
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-17-2021, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm just a guy who doesn't drink, smoke, do drugs or dress well. Over the course of the past year, I've learned to cut my own hair. Sold off my 10 year-old sports car in February and own a five year old Honda CRV that's paid off and isn't going anywhere. I pay little in rent and heat with wood, don't have cable and use a flip-phone with no land line. No pricey vacations or second homes for this guy - for me an enjoyable getaway is going to Virginia Beach for a couple of days in the spring or fall. In addition to membership in an athletic club where I swim indoors 5-7 days/week, my addiction of choice has been buying, selling and playing guitars. I ultimately realized that my cabin in the woods is simply not well-suited for wooden guitars so I swore them off. In their place I've auditioned Emeralds and higher-end Rainsongs before landing on my current bunch. Emeralds are terrific guitars, but I've established a preference for Rainsongs that seems to be working for me...
And that's all that matters! Well, except for that flip-phone thing. Seriously, that ain't right.

Some of us looked to carbon fiber to solve that whole humidity (or lack thereof) thing - we were dividing time between living on a boat in the Pacific Northwest, our home in the humidity of deep south coastal Texas, and traveling by motorhome, often to the desert Southwest. Even my then travel guitar, a Taylor GSmini (bought because of the laminate back and sides) was not happy with those often sudden changes. I bought that first CF guitar, thinking I'd "settle" for the sound to have the stability of carbon fiber; ordered it over the phone, after looking around in our travels. Oh my goodness - it had a lovely sound! Who knew? And why didn't you people tell me this?? It was then I stated: "Come for the ease of care, stay for the great tone!" I've been quoted a time or twelve on that, and each addition of another carbon fiber adds something new to my guitarsenal.

I would suggest we all get together and sing Kumbaya, but I don't know the chords.

For the record, I never got into those Taylor vs Martin discussions, either.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And that's all that matters! Well, except for that flip-phone thing. Seriously, that ain't right.
Really? I love my flip phone...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Really? I love my flip phone...
I would never stand in the way of love. To quote a wise man: "We like what we like." I'm just funnin' with you. I've heard the saying: "Never diss a man's choice of truck, dog, or wife." Not sure if I have the order correct. I will add "choice of guitar and phone" to that list.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:23 AM

What a fun thread. RP, I own one of your “castoffs,” a Rainsong CH-OM1100, which has become my gigging guitar here in dry Reno. It certainly isn’t as pretty as your current stable, but it plays wonderfully with a K&K I had installed, and is always in tune, indoors or out.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
What a fun thread. RP, I own one of your “castoffs,” a Rainsong CH-OM1100, which has become my gigging guitar here in dry Reno. It certainly isn’t as pretty as your current stable, but it plays wonderfully with a K&K I had installed, and is always in tune, indoors or out.
I wouldn't call it a "castoff" but I'm really happy to hear that you're enjoying it...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-20-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
I have one of Randy's "Rainsong journey" instruments too, a wonderful H-WS1100N2T. The acquisition was an experiment on my part but it (and RP in turn) are responsible for my own journey into the CF world. I now have 4 CF guitars...two Rainsongs and two Emeralds...and I couldn't be happier! Thanks Randy.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I have one of Randy's "Rainsong journey" instruments too, a wonderful H-WS1100N2T. The acquisition was an experiment on my part but it (and RP in turn) are responsible for my own journey into the CF world. I now have 4 CF guitars...two Rainsongs and two Emeralds...and I couldn't be happier! Thanks Randy.

Phil
You're welcome, Phil. Let me know when you're ready to send it back across the border....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-27-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I guess I can post here now that I have a 'family' of two, for however short a time that will be!

Old 05-27-2021, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Is that a weird reflection or the "new" hammered copper finish on the left one?
Old 05-27-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
For the record, I never got into those Taylor vs Martin discussions, either.
Jazz guitarist Martin Taylor would be glad to hear that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber