The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-08-2021, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

Great advice above! Thank you.

I'll probably drop my working projects 1-2 at a time onto desktop for instant access while I'm manipulating them, then store the finished products somewhere deeper with the rest of my saved music in a couple of familiar subdirectories I've been using for decades.

KeyWind, your screen prints are great, very helpful. Any images I post on AGF are all stored at Imgur and then linked here. That works, but it's a somewhat involved process compared to other forums that accommodate drag and drop directly from the laptop. Is Imgur (or something like it) what you're using here?

Figured out yesterday how to export a .song as a .wav file. I'm curious, though, why a 0:45 second (2-track) recording keeps saving itself as 2:56 long, even though I put the end marker flag at 0:45. Is there some way to trim off the excess empty play time at the end of the music and save it as a 0:45 .wav?

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-08-2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Yes I use Imgur but if by (linked here) you mean there is just an address link showing in your post, rather than the open shot ... I use the Imgur BBCode option for sharing to have the screen shots open directly in my post.

As far as length I don't know why it would be 2:56. for a 45 second clip. Do you know where the particular 2:56 number came from ? Did you only record .45 ?

I'll have to check on my system later but regardless of the song length in S1 you should be able select just the file length you wish to export . However if it is like PT the end marker flag is really only for loop playback . You may have to highlight the length you wish to export ? It's been quite a while since I tried to export anything in S1 , so I'll check later and report back

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-08-2021 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
Great advice above! Thank you.

I'll probably drop my working projects 1-2 at a time onto desktop for instant access while I'm manipulating them, then store the finished products somewhere deeper with the rest of my saved music in a couple of familiar subdirectories I've been using for decades.

KeyWind, your screen prints are great, very helpful. Any images I post on AGF are all stored at Imgur and then linked here. That works, but it's a somewhat involved process compared to other forums that accommodate drag and drop directly from the laptop. Is Imgur (or something like it) what you're using here?

Figured out yesterday how to export a .song as a .wav file. I'm curious, though, why a 0:45 second (2-track) recording keeps saving itself as 2:56 long, even though I put the end marker flag at 0:45. Is there some way to trim off the excess empty play time at the end of the music and save it as a 0:45 .wav?
For those of us who are long-time Pro Tools users (like Kev) Studio One can prove to be a bit challenging as Pro Tools muscle memory is permanently engraved. But as I’ve said many times before Studio One has grown into one of the best DAW’s available especially when starting from scratch and without the baggage of another DAW workflow. This should be a great advantage for you since you're not forced to break previous habits.

To try to distill your question, one of the functions that are paramount in Studio One, but not so much in Pro Tools, is the many ways the loop tool can be used. Learn you Loop Tools

I find the most effective way to bounce is to first select all regions in your song. Then under the Event pull-down menu choose “Bounce Selection”. Bounce Selection will make all tracks (with or without audio) the same length. The Bounce Selection step is not necessary but I find it easier to navigate things and in more advance scenarios is helpful on other levels.

Then under the Transport pull-down menu choose “Loop Selection”. In so Studio One will automatically create a start and endpoint of the loop to match the beginning and end of your audio. Essentially the beginning and end of your recording.

From there, under the Song pull-down menu go to “Export Mixdown”. Export Mixdown provides all the parameters you may want to apply to your export including a component called “Export Range”. Export Range gives you the option of 1) Export between loop. 2) Export between Song Start/End marker. 3) Export between each marker 4) Export between selected marker.

All of these choices can be very effective depending on what you’re attempting to do, but in this case since we’ve already established loop markers, simply select “between loop” and Studio One will bounce the correct length of your tune.

Also note Studio One quick keys are endlessly programmable and the above process can be distilled into a second or two.

I think once you get past the basics I’d encourage you to get comfortable with the various Loop Tools methodologies, Macros Arraingment and quick key assignments. These are endlessly powerful tools that will streamline the recording process to a large degree.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I am glad Joseph chimed in because I learned PT still use it most of the time and only have just wet my feet in S1
And it is different enough to have me chasing my tail at times
One thing that was different is not having the Export option right in the main file menu .....

But with a couple quick S1 videos I stumbled on some quick Key Commands that make it as quick as PT for Exporting
I did however have to switch the S1 mapping scheme option back to S1 from the PT option to get the key command to set start and end markers

But you will not have to worry about that

So being I am a visual learner this is a quick video to address your question I just did about exporting just the selected amount of song file
Now I show it using the "Between Song Start/End Marker " But as Joseph said if you done a loop selection then you should check that

Anyway here the quick video if you set the YT playback to 720 or 1080 it will be less blurry

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-08-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:19 PM

Great video Kev! It's almost identical to using Loop Selection. Either will work just fine
Old 04-08-2021, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Great video Kev! It's almost identical to using Loop Selection. Either will work just fine
Yes actually when I was first trying before watching some videos that was how I was doing it. But I was dragging the loop markers into place, I did not know about the transport dropdown having the Loop Selection option thanks

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 04-08-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes I use Imgur but if by (linked here) you mean there is just an address link showing in your post, rather than the open shot ... I use the Imgur BBCode option for sharing to have the screen shots open directly in my post.

Thanks. I'm using Imgur BBCode as well. On another forum I frequent (NWFA - Northwest Firearms), any image on my computer can simply be dragged into a post without the extra Imgur business. I was hoping to discover something simple like that here on AGF, but BBCode seems to be the coin of the realm.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

With a good amplified speaker/sub-woofer system plugged into my laptop, I'm wondering if there is any real advantage to buying studio monitors.

I certainly won't use them real-time when recording with microphones (because of latency and bleed-over). In my mind, monitors would merely provide a nice un-colored playback. But I'm actually pretty satisfied with the sound of my current gear - with and without hearing aids.

Am I missing anything by not investing in a pair of monitors?

Last edited by tinnitus; 04-14-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
With a good amplified speaker/sub-woofer system plugged into my laptop, I'm wondering if there is any real advantage to buying studio monitors.

I certainly won't use them real-time when recording with microphones (because of latency and bleed-over). In my mind, monitors would merely provide a nice un-colored playback. But I'm actually pretty satisfied with the sound of my current gear - with and without hearing aids.

Am I missing anything by not investing in a pair of monitors?
Yes you are missing a couple somethings.
First dedicated studio monitors are not for recording , they are for use during mixing, to help to facilitate more accurately informed mixing decisions.

Second ideally you want to be monitoring directly from the analog outputs of the Audio Box not the computer while mixing, because the converters and analog outs of Audio Box are going to be superior to those of the laptop.

Can you use your current system ? Yes no question
Would using the Audio Box likely yield more informed mixing decisions ? Yes

If budget is an issue at this time. Me I would get a reasonable pair of Head Phones to plug into the Audio Box and mix through them, then check the mix with your current system. With and eye towards monitor speakers in the future

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-16-2021, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes you are missing a couple somethings.
First dedicated studio monitors are not for recording , they are for use during mixing, to help to facilitate more accurately informed mixing decisions.

Second ideally you want to be monitoring directly from the analog outputs of the Audio Box not the computer while mixing, because the converters and analog outs of Audio Box are going to be superior to those of the laptop.

Can you use your current system ? Yes no question
Would using the Audio Box likely yield more informed mixing decisions ? Yes

If budget is an issue at this time. Me I would get a reasonable pair of Head Phones to plug into the Audio Box and mix through them, then check the mix with your current system. With and eye towards monitor speakers in the future
Thank you KW. That's sort of what I was thinking but I didn't want to assume anything, given how new I am to this.

I've got a decent pair of headphones plugged directly into the Audio Box. I record with one ear uncovered so I can hear the metronome or subsequent layers in the phones, and the new track I'm adding in the other without any delay (or bleed-over into the room). I certainly wouldn't try to mix with the pipsqueak speakers in my laptop, hence the amplified setup I run now. If it seems I'm not getting a good mix, I'll grab a pair of mid-price monitors (high-end units might be a waste given my hearing loss, tinnitus and waffling between hearing aids or not.

Interesting observation: I recorded an acoustic guitar with dual mics the other day, one mic near the sound hole and one halfway up the neck. The resulting tone sounded sort of murky - nowhere near as bright what I've recorded with a single mic right in the middle. I'll have to experiment with that and try to gain a better feel for placement, distance, levels, etc.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

I am having a very frustrating issue with Studio One 5 Pro. I have a song that I want to mix down to MP3. I have put in my start and end markers and used the mix down tool. It appears to mix down correctly, but the file that is exported won't play on my computer. There is nothing but crackling and static when I try to play it. I have the same issue if I mix down to a WAV file. If I have it insert the mix down file as a track, it works. However, nothing I am mixing down can be played as a separate file. This is really starting to frustrate me!
Old 04-19-2021, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I am having a very frustrating issue with Studio One 5 Pro. I have a song that I want to mix down to MP3. I have put in my start and end markers and used the mix down tool. It appears to mix down correctly, but the file that is exported won't play on my computer. There is nothing but crackling and static when I try to play it. I have the same issue if I mix down to a WAV file. If I have it insert the mix down file as a track, it works. However, nothing I am mixing down can be played as a separate file. This is really starting to frustrate me!
Humm ? I am still on the last version of 4 and being out of town no access to S1 But I am not clear what you mean by "mix down tool" Are you then using the Bounce feature to actually export ? Or is this something new in V 5 ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-19-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Humm ? I am still on the last version of 4 and being out of town no access to S1 But I am not clear what you mean by "mix down tool" Are you then using the Bounce feature to actually export ? Or is this something new in V 5 ?
I am going to the "song" drop down menu then selecting Mix Down. A dialogue box appears that has options for mixing to MP3/WAV or other.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:39 AM

Sounds like you're doing things correctly. Have you tried selecting "use realtime processing" for the bounce? I'd be curious if when bouncing in realtime you get the same static. I'm also curious as to what you're using to play-back the bounced file.

Also, have you tried to re-import the bounced file into Studio One just to see what exactly your bounce file looks (sounds) like?
Old 04-19-2021, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Sounds like you're doing things correctly. Have you tried selecting "use realtime processing" for the bounce? I'd be curious if when bouncing in realtime you get the same static. I'm also curious as to what you're using to play-back the bounced file.

Also, have you tried to re-import the bounced file into Studio One just to see what exactly your bounce file looks (sounds) like?
I have been bouncing in realtime and I can hear the song playing just fine while it's bouncing. I have tried all of the usual file players on my computer, including Microsoft player and the others that come stock. The MP3 files created with Mixcraft all play fine.

I did have it export to a track in Studio One and it played fine in that program. Stand alone files are not though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD