The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-28-2021, 08:44 AM

Default Are the Eagles Overrated?

I thought this might be an interesting discussion.
When compared to a lot of other so-called “supergroups”, the number of hit songs they actually had pales in comparison and is relatively small.
There is no doubt of their influence and most of their album stuff is reasonably good, but they truly didn’t have that many big songs.
According to my research and subjective opinion, they had less than a dozen “big hits” and I might be being generous.
Although the genres’ vary immensely, I’m curious to see how forum members would characterize their place in musical history compared to the likes of say,
The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Chicago, Crosby, Stills and Nash (Young), Doobie Brothers and on and on and on.

Hopefully, this should be interesting.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-28-2021, 08:51 AM

Great post. I actually prefer the Eagles to all those other bands you posted.

Regardless of the number of top hits, the Eagles have sold over 200 M albums, and 100M in the US (wiki). That puts them ahead of all the bands/artists you mentioned except for the Beatles.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I thought this might be an interesting discussion.
When compared to a lot of other so-called “supergroups”, the number of hit songs they actually had pales in comparison and is relatively small.
There is no doubt of their influence and most of their album stuff is reasonably good, but they truly didn’t have that many big songs.
According to my research and subjective opinion, they had less than a dozen “big hits” and I might be being generous.
Although the genres’ vary immensely, I’m curious to see how forum members would characterize their place in musical history compared to the likes of say,
The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys, Chicago, Crosby, Stills and Nash (Young), Doobie Brothers and on and on and on.

Hopefully, this should be interesting.
Quote:
the number of hit songs they actually had pales in comparison and is relatively small.
Hit songs, in my book, have nothing to do with my "rating" of a group. I don't rate music. I am not a music critic, nor do I want to be a judge of other people's music. I resonate with it, or enjoy it, or dance to it, or just like and appreciate it. Or I don't. It's my personal experience.

Quote:
their place in musical history compared to the likes of say,
I personally don't believe in comparisons of musical groups. To reinterate; for me, I don't rate music. I'm not a music critic, nor do I want to be a judge of other people's music. I resonate with it, or enjoy it, or dance to it, or just like and appreciate it. Or I don't. It's my personal experience.

This is how I like to view music. My personal experience. Other people, like yourself, can do what they please. Humans are diverse.

I hope I have met the standards for "making it interesting."
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 03-28-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Great post. I actually prefer the Eagles to all those other bands you posted.

Regardless of the number of top hits, the Eagles have sold over 200 M albums, and 100M in the US (wiki). That puts them ahead of all the bands/artists you mentioned except for the Beatles.
You are correct and I like the Eagles as well. From a dollars and cents perspective it seems inarguable. Personal preferences aside,
would you rate any Eagles Album with the likes of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” or The Beach Boys “Pet Sounds.” Or “Deja Vu” by CSN?
How about “Dark Side of the Moon” by Pink Floyd. I don’t consider any Eagles album work in the same league as any of those just to name a few.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-28-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I think that is OP's whole point, that they have sold tons of records but aren't actually that good?

I may be of the wrong generation for this question as I was born just after the peak of most of these groups, But I'm not a huge Eagles fans. I enjoy their hit songs but they just feel like good pop rock songs, their writing doesn't resonate with me the same way as some of the other bands listed. (maybe if I listened deeper into their catalogue I would find other stuff that was better, but none of the songs I do know really get me excited to listen to the deeper cuts).
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 03-28-2021, 09:23 AM

Its all very subjective, if you're a fan, they're not over rated,if you dont like them then they are over rated.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
I think that is OP's whole point, that they have sold tons of records but aren't actually that good?

I may be of the wrong generation for this question as I was born just after the peak of most of these groups, But I'm not a huge Eagles fans. I enjoy their hit songs but they just feel like good pop rock songs, their writing doesn't resonate with me the same way as some of the other bands listed. (maybe if I listened deeper into their catalogue I would find other stuff that was better, but none of the songs I do know really get me excited to listen to the deeper cuts).
I think you hit on my point for posting this.
In no way do I not think they are talented.
My purpose here was to see if others discern any hyperbole when it comes to this band.
Let’s see what develops, shall we.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-28-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:
You are correct and I like the Eagles as well. From a dollars and cents perspective it seems inarguable. Personal preferences aside,
would you rate any Eagles Album with the likes of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” or The Beach Boys “Pet Sounds.” Or “Deja Vu” by CSN?
How about “Dark Side of the Moon” by Pink Floyd. I don’t consider any Eagles album work in the same league as any of those just to name a few.
I think it's irrelevant to think that the Eagles overrated success underrates another band's success, such as Pink Floyd. The thing about the Eagles is that once you pull out a couple of songs from each album and release a greatest hits album you have something that attracts people from different genres to listen to.

Perhaps that is what you are referring to regarding overrated - did the Eagles ever have a revolutionary album that inspired millions such as Dark Side or, a in a different genre, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast? I do not know.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

The Eagles have surely earned their place in music history by virtue of their popularity, number of hit songs, amount of radio (and now internet) playtime, the crowds they have drawn at live performances over time, continued multi-generational popularity, and the like. Does this make them the most talented, creative music group out there -- not in my view. Despite all of the above, I find much of their music to be somewhat mundane and repetitive sounding (lacking in dynamics) -- but that's just my own subjective musical preference. Does this make them overrated ? Not in my book. My musical preferences not withstanding, they have earned their place in music history.

Cheers!
Old 03-28-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
Its all very subjective, if you're a fan, they're not over rated,if you dont like them then they are over rated.
Well said. “Better” is so subjective. Who’s better really depends on who’s judging.

For what it’s worth, I am an Eagles fan. I’d rather listen to a Don Felder solo than some much more technically brilliant players. I think he is such a “tasty” player, but that is certainly subjective.

I am also a Pink Floyd / David Gilmour fan. Another extremely tasty player!

I’m not so much a CSNY fan. I enjoy some of their songs, but live recordings I’ve heard of them makes me question their actual abilities. Some I’m surprised they even chose to release. One of their studio releases I was impressed with was Southern Cross, but I’ve read Timothy B Schmidt and Art Garfunkel provided much of those great harmonies. Their 2012 live release of this song is, um, pretty revealing....

My point is not to put down CSNY - they wrote and recorded some cool stuff - but to point out that some measure “better” differently than others. My view may be very different than others. I perform live. I do not write or record professionally. So I may place a higher emphasis on an artist’s ability to perform well live. We all certainly measure “better” differently!

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 03-28-2021, 10:13 AM

I think The album “One of These Nights” might be their best. Take nothing away from Hotel California, but I always preferred the sound and vocals before Joe Walsh joined the band. Randy Meisner added an element that wasn’t completely filled by Timothy Schmitt. Just my opinion, of course.
2013 Taylor 214
2013 Martin D-17M
2014 Taylor 516e
2014 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2015 Taylor 324e
2015 Taylor 414ce-N
2015 Taylor Custom GA 12 fret
2015 Taylor 612ce 12 fret
2016 Taylor T5 Custom AA koa
2017 Taylor 712ce 12 fret LTD
2018 Taylor K22ce 12 fret LTD AA Koa
2019 Cordoba Master Series Hauser Ltd.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Eagles are certainly in my top 25, but not in my top 10.

Funny, but to my tastes, I think "Desperado" is their (an) iconic album, and their best. It's also likely their least popular.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Maybe, but you had to be there at the time. They were major.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 03-28-2021, 10:50 AM

Well, they are responsible for about half of the sound track of my high school years, and probably even into the follow years after that.

I don't think overrated is a word I would use.

I would not pay the insane ticket prices,, but I have always liked their music and their vocals have always been great.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I think the measure of a band may be not some much in hits, but in how influential they were and how far they moved up the bar on their genre.

Consider Jethro Tull. They only had one song the even broke the top twenty (Living in the Past, topped out at #11 on Billboard Hot 100 in 1972), but there are few who wouldn't call them an influential band.

Now consider The Eagles. They have the title of highest selling album in the U.S. for both the last century and this in Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975). That title was lost for a short while to Michael Jackson but has returned to it. It was also the very first album to be certified platinum. Their Hotel California album has been certified 26x platinum. They have had eighteen Grammy nominations with six wins. Their harmony vocals have influenced bands for decades. It could be argued that they are the greatest influencers of more modern country. Their hallmarks are songcraft, professionalism, and ability to reproduce their recorded work in concert at an extremely high level. Only when Glen died did they cease creating new band music. The individual members are all still active solo music creators.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN