The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-18-2023, 08:50 PM

Default Looking for Pickup Ideas

So, I'm planning a new custom build in the next couple of years, and with my last build, I fitted the Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend, which has been one of the best sounding pickups I've heard.
This happened just as the Mic Blend was released back in 2018, so I'm wondering if there has been much movement in the game. Have the goalposts moved?
Another option is to try and source a Cole Clark PG3 system, but I'm not sure if they are purchasable outside of buying an actual CC guitar.
What's everyone's thoughts on this?
Any rumours getting around about new products coming out that are game changers?
Thanks in advance.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 09-19-2023, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

I think the Cole Clark pickup designer has his own company now. I read it on the net so.....
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-19-2023, 10:26 PM

I’m expecting a custom build next spring and here’s what I’m planning. The guitar is a slope dread a la J-45 and I play folk/Americana.

Pickup- UltraTonic w/ K&K mic

I’m planning to buy a Tonedexter 2 whenever they come out as well, but I currently run my K&K’s through the trinity preamp and then into a red eye. Hoping the TD2 replaces everything.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 09-20-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
I’m expecting a custom build next spring and here’s what I’m planning. The guitar is a slope dread a la J-45 and I play folk/Americana.

Pickup- UltraTonic w/ K&K mic

I’m planning to buy a Tonedexter 2 whenever they come out as well, but I currently run my K&K’s through the trinity preamp and then into a red eye. Hoping the TD2 replaces everything.
Something to look into, thank you.
90% of the gigs I play my guitar is plugged directly into my Yamaha StagePas1K, and from all reports, it sounds excellent.
My vocals on the other hand have been described as sounding like I'm trying to sing underwater, even with a Sennheiser 935.
I have a pedalboard that I've used when playing in my former band, and that uses a Zoom AC3 tied in with TC Helicon Harmonizer Singer 2.
That combo will give me additional tones to play with both the guitar and vocals.
We'll see I guess.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 09-20-2023, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

The goal post motion over the last few years has mostly been about IRs, using digital processing to make pickups sound more natural. There are always new pickups coming out. Probably the most innovative is James May's Ultratonic, which might or might not be right for you, given that you like an undersaddle pickup (it's an SBT). Not much else leaps out to me at the moment as "goal post moving", which is not to say there aren't new pickups on the market, and there might be something new that you'd like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification