The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-09-2021, 12:51 PM

Default Art/picture to cover OC703 panel

My music room is 18’ x 12’ x 8’4”. To keep wife happy I plan on building two side wall panels of 4” OC703 at 4’ x 6’. Plan is to cover these with some sort of art or picture. Desk on front wall is 56” wide by 40” deep with one or two 2’x4” 4” panels behind it. My Back at mixing desk approx 38% into room with 4x6 window at rear about 10’ behind. Two 2x4 4” portables to place in front of rear window. Two corner super chuck bass traps to ceiling at rear corners. Not able to place corner traps in the forward corners or at other wall ceiling junctures. Not able to do ceiling clouds. Vinyl floor - Sheetrock all round. I did not plan on testing with REW and despite Mr. Winer’s “how to” I am not sure how to use it anyway

Questions

1. I know of three companies that do art on grill cloth - but very expensive: Acoustimac , woodshedstageart and bags of love. Do you know of any others?

2. Wife wants 31” dresser on side wall. Speakers will sit on desk on isolation stands at ear height approximately 36”. ??? If I mount the 4x6 panels at 32” from the floor will they be effective for reflection free zone?

3. Can I get away with 4x 6 panels that are only 2” instead of 4” for reflection free zone? I know I will lose some bass trapping but perhaps the two corner super chunks will compensate. They will look more like art that way
2016 Taylor 814ce DLX
68 Blond Fender Telecaster

Last edited by Sigmadevotee; 04-09-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

No specific pointers, sorry. But...

There are (many) places that just do large scale fabric printing from photos or whatever image you supply. It might be cheaper to get something plain, or even uncovered, and get the fabric printed elsewhere.

I did some looking into this but didn't follow through since my wife just stays out of the room . There is some issue with the type of printing you should prefer so it doesn't make the fabric "un-breathable" after it's done. Can't recall the details, but the prices I found didn't seem ridiculous, though it's been a few years probably since I looked around.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmadevotee View Post
My music room is 18’ x 12’ x 8’4”. To keep wife happy I plan on building two side wall panels of 4” OC703 at 4’ x 6’. Plan is to cover these with some sort of art or picture. Desk on front wall is 56” wide by 40” deep with one or two 2’x4” 4” panels behind it. My Back at mixing desk approx 38% into room with 4x6 window at rear about 10’ behind. Two 2x4 4” portables to place in front of rear window. Two corner super chuck bass traps to ceiling at rear corners. Not able to place corner traps in the forward corners or at other wall ceiling junctures. Not able to do ceiling clouds. Vinyl floor - Sheetrock all round. I did not plan on testing with REW and despite Mr. Winer’s “how to” I am not sure how to use it anyway

Questions

1. I know of three companies that do art on grill cloth - but very expensive: Acoustimac , woodshedstageart and bags of love. Do you know of any others?

2. Wife wants 31” dresser on side wall. Speakers will sit on desk on isolation stands at ear height approximately 36”. ??? If I mount the 4x6 panels at 32” from the floor will they be effective for reflection free zone?

3. Can I get away with 4x 6 panels that are only 2” instead of 4” for reflection free zone? I know I will lose some bass trapping but perhaps the two corner super chunks will compensate. They will look more like art that way
#1. Usually there there are a number of printed fabrics at any typical fabric shop that will work as covering (take the wife to keep the home front happy )

#2 Not sure what the dresser has to with with anything ? You basically (if possible) want the tweeters of the speakers at ear height.

# 3 .... 2" is better than nothing , 4" is better than 2 " plain and simple .
Sans an anechoic chamber there is no such thing as a "reflection free zone" the panels help to mitigate not eliminate unwanted reflection.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-10-2021, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Questions

1. If you wind up having something printed, make sure the fabric still allows for air to move through it after the printing is applied. If the printing clogs the pores of the fabric, you've killed the effectiveness.

2. The only way you'd know is to do measurements in the room. My best guess would be that you'd get some loss of effectiveness but it would still be a significant improvement over not having treatment at all. It's a home studio and like most home studios, we have to live with the limitations of our space.

3. 2" panels are pretty standard for overhead clouds and reflection points. The 4" panels are usually what we'd put in the corners to control lower frequency build up.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-11-2021, 09:36 AM

As Jim says - 2" panels are more typical for ceiling cloud and point-of-first-reflection trapping. Position of these should be based on the 'mirror trick' - sitting at your normal listening position, place a mirror on the side wall and move it until you can see the monitor speaker, that's where your side panels should be. 2'x4' is typical size used for this. Instead of making huge 4' x 6' panels, which are going to be unwieldy, you might consider making 3 2'x4' panels instead.
I think your question about the dresser was about the hard flat surface becoming another reflection point on the side, but the top surface is not going to bounce sound waves directly at you (the dresser's front might, though.)

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-12-2021, 08:19 AM

The reason for 4x6 is to make them look like murals to satisfy my spouse. I can fit three 2x4 OC703 panels in there for the completed size. I am communicating with various large scale printers to print either artwork or pictures on them (with the consulting advice of our interior designer). If I can find a dresser 24” tall I can hang the side walls with the resulting murals roughly 26” off the floor up to 74” at the top. I will use the mirror to locate the first reflection point for both the first and second reflection points. Since I am 6’3” tall, my ear canal is 49 1/2” off the floor
2016 Taylor 814ce DLX
Old 04-12-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The reason for 4x6 is to make them look like murals to satisfy my spouse. I can fit three 2x4 OC703 panels in there for the completed size. I am communicating with various large scale printers to print either artwork or pictures on them (with the consulting advice of our interior designer). If I can find a dresser 24” tall I can hang the side walls with the resulting murals roughly 26” off the floor up to 74” at the top. I will use the mirror to locate the first reflection point for both the first and second reflection points. Since I am 6’3” tall, my ear canal is 49 1/2” off the floor
Sounds like progress, just wondering are you saying with the dresser at 24" then the height of the panels on both side walls will be at the same height ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-12-2021, 09:11 PM

Yes the plan is for both side wall 6x4 panels to parallel each other
2016 Taylor 814ce DLX
Old 04-17-2021, 05:37 PM

Am I better off with 4” OC703 mounted flush to the wall or 2” OC703 mounted 2” from the wall?
2016 Taylor 814ce DLX
Old 04-17-2021, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Am I better off with 4” OC703 mounted flush to the wall or 2” OC703 mounted 2” from the wall?
Anything is more effective off the wall than on, but it's not going to be 2x as effective at the lower frequencies, because mass is what wins there. If you look at specs, you'll see there's not a big difference in absorption probably past 250Hz, certain 500Hz. So mounting off the wall gives you more surface area, which enhances the entire room's ability to absorb reflections. But, if you have low frequency problems, you need thicker & heavier, though mounting on the side walls is not going to do a lot. For early reflection surfaces, I'd put them off the wall, but then, I don't have anything surface mounted.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:07 PM

I have those two choices for the side walls
- two inches off the wall or 4 inches on. Which is better?

I will do floor to ceiling corner super chunk bass traps in addition
2016 Taylor 814ce DLX
Old 04-17-2021, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have those two choices for the side walls
- two inches off the wall or 4 inches on. Which is better?

I will do floor to ceiling corner super chunk bass traps in addition
By "side walls" I'm assuming you mean reflection points and for that you want the two inch material with the air space behind it. The four inch material should be what you use in the corners to control lower frequency build-up.

YouTube
Old 10-31-2021, 08:07 PM

The panels opposite the tracking area are 4”. Does it make sense to stagger these on each wall for maximum coverage or should 4” panels be opposite each other? If opposite how far should or could they be apart? Tracking area is 6’ x 13’
2016 Taylor 814ce DLX
Old 10-31-2021, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The panels opposite the tracking area are 4”. Does it make sense to stagger these on each wall for maximum coverage or should 4” panels be opposite each other? If opposite how far should or could they be apart? Tracking area is 6’ x 13’
"Opposite the tracking area"??? I've no idea what that means.

As previously discussed, bass builds up in the corners. That should be the first thing addressed in any room. In a small room, the more bass traps the better.

Assuming you have a desk and monitors in that room, sitting and facing the desk, you have two first reflection points on your left and two on your right. Those should be the second thing addressed in a room.

For the tracking area, portable panels are probably your best bet.

YouTube
Old 10-31-2021, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

The fabric covering of my panels is about the same color as the bare walls and in that sense does not intrude into the
feel of the room much. I would think that some artwork on them would be worse.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
oc703, panel, treatment