The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-06-2016, 08:28 AM

Default Looking foor advice on play back.

I have recorded myself playing songs several times using my desk top and my tablet. The tablet sounds ok but not good. My desk top I'm just using the mic in the Logitech camera. The guitar sounds like a train coming to a squeeching halt. I'm new to all this so any tips would be appreciated. Can I get a plug to go from my guitar into my computer to record? Do I buy a separate mic? I'd like to record myself playing chords then play the solo over it. Thanks !!
Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 AM

First, what program are you recording to? If it's Garage Band through the mic you stated, you're probably getting what you're going to get. I would use a music recording program, buy an interface that you can plug a legitimate microphone & your guitar into and record. You should get a much better result.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:53 AM

Getting yourself a USB mic will probably be the least expensive way to improve the quality of your recordings.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:39 PM

A USB mic will be limiting, though - you will only be able to use that one mic, by itself, and will never be able to use it for anything else (unless you get a combo mic that has both XLR and USB connections).

Get an audio interface and a mic with XLR connector. I would advise getting an AI with at least 2 mic preamp inputs, too - for future use.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-09-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
First, what program are you recording to?
Still needs to be answered. And what tablet and/or desktop computing device? Are you trying to do this as cheaply as possible or are you wanting to upgrade your squeeching setup.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:09 PM

I have an Android table and my desk top is HP and I have Windows 8. I don't need a professional recording just something I can get a clear play back so I can play over it. Hope that answers the questions. I know less about computers then I do playing guitars so I'm in behind the eight ball here. Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Hope that answers the questions.
Almost. What program(s?) are you using for recording to your tablet and/or desktop?

And just to be clear - you don't want to record the stuff you play over once you get that going? You just want to play back and play over it and that's it?
Old 08-11-2016, 07:47 PM

That I don't have a clue about. Whatever they come with. I don't have a special program of any sort.

Yes I just want to record myself strumming a song and do the solo. Thanks !!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Garageband is a perfectly fine program to record to. The choice of software will not affect your sound quality.

-Mike
Old 08-14-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
Garageband is a perfectly fine program to record to.
It would be...if he was using Apple devices.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:02 AM

I use an Alesis io2 Express interface. It has two excellent mic preamps with phantom power for mics that require that. It can be used as a sound card, so you get high quality playback as well.
You need to buy at least one good quality mic. Don't try to record your guitar through a pickup or you won't get the sound of the guitar with any fidelity.
You can use a good pair of headphones to listen to playback or get an amplifier and a nice set of small speakers but don't use the speakers in your laptop or computer speakers, as the fidelity will be poor and you won't know what the recording will sound like on a good system. I recommend buying home stereo speakers, rather than those meant for a studio. In my opinion, there are far more home speakers with accurate natural sound than there are studio speakers. B&W, Polk, Paradigm and KEF make very high quality, un-colored sounding speakers that will give you accurate playback.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 08-15-2016, 03:43 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I'm really in over my head on all this computer stuff. Looks like I need to do some research. May be easier just to invite a jam buddy over rather then record it. I truly appreciate your time and the info. to help me figure this out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD