The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Default First Banjo

Hi All

Just picked up a Deering Goodtime Parlor Banjo a couple of days back. I think it's great value for the money for somebody just looking to get started on Banjos.Great tone and feel.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:09 AM

Deering seem to be a class act. Got a used Deering 6 string being delivered tomorrow. Here's hoping I am happy.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM

agreed ... I have a Goodtime (open back) and it is a pleasure to play ... it has a very good, folky tone ... it might be a little lacking in volume to handle Bluegrass band settings but it is just right for small folk ensembles and picking on the porch/couch ... they are well-built, no-nonsense instruments (read: quality where it counts) ... particularly surprising is how well the setup is right from the factory ... good intonation and action ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM

UPS has my banjo and it's making stops all over the US now for 8 days...has not even crossed the missippi river yet! ebay deal, a HARMONY. I know the harmony was a popular name of beginning instruments back 40 years ago. it may be that old too. anyway, i've not picked up a banjo since 1976. i got frustrated that i could not learn the roll. now with utube lessons, i'll give it a shot. if it don't work. it'll go to craigslist. the problem is, i have absolutely no one to play with...sucks getting old
Old 11-29-2012, 05:04 PM

Congrats Anand! When I did my research on banjos a few months ago Deering came with high reviews and it's made in the USA.

What's your goal with the banjo, just to learn it or do you want it to be your main instrument?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 PM

Thanks Dru. I've always loved the sound of a Banjo.I plan to pick up a few chords on it but mainly plan to use it for melody lines, whatever genre. I love listening to Bela Fleck! I'll be sticking to the guitar as my main instrument though.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand00028 View Post
Thanks Dru. I've always loved the sound of a Banjo.I plan to pick up a few chords on it but mainly plan to use it for melody lines, whatever genre. I love listening to Bela Fleck! I'll be sticking to the guitar as my main instrument though.
I hear ya - I got my first real exposure to banjo when I attended my first bluegrass festival this past summer. Those banjo guys can pick! Wow. I'm like you ... keeping guitar as my main instrument.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM

Got a Deering Goodtime 19 fret tenor a couple of months and have really enjoyed it. I play mostly Irish tunes, but also like chording on it. It's light, well built, and though not a cannon is loud enough to require a mute to play at night when everyone but me is asleep. One thing you will want pretty soon is an armrest, those head bolts are not comfortable. Put a simple Vega style wire rest on mine, a five minute job, of course there are lots of styles out there so I'm sure you'll find something you'll like. Anyway, enjoy your new instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments