The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-14-2020, 08:15 AM

Default Best vacation ever.

William Shirer, the foreign correspondent who is best known for his book, "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" describes in the preface of his previous book, "Berlin Diary" the best vacation I can imagine.

Burned out from years overseas and a tropical disease, Mr. and Mrs. Shirerer decided to rest and recover for as long as possible. He explains that, due to the falling value of the US dollar during the depression, their $1000 life saving only lasted them for a year, after which he returned to work in Berlin.

They rented an 8 room villa with a cook and housekeeper on the Spanish Mediterranean coast. Every day was spent walking and swimming, reading and writing. Every evening they stayed up late talking current affairs with their neighbor. At some point each evening their neighbor would get out his guitar and give them a private concert. The neighbor was Andre Segovia.
'01 Olympia OD-38SWR Dread prototype
'86 Bacon F-style mandolin
'05 Tacoma C-10 Thunderchief bass
'04 Olympia OB-5 bass
All of the above are all solid wood except for the laminated sides of the Tacoma Jumbo and the OB-5 which is all laminate.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

What a great story! I really enjoyed reading Shirer's work... he was a wonderful writer. I read, "The Rise and Fall," a couple times and thought it was an excellent book.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic