The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-09-2020, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Anyone here a ham radio operator?

I've always been curious about ham radio but never had the time. I have the time now and it might be useful during emergency situations to know how to do it, when usual lines of communication go down.

Anyone here know about ham radio and/or where to go to learn more about it?
Old 08-09-2020, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Actually I was a ham radio operator (WA2IFV) in my early teens back in the late 60's. Back then we had to know morse code as well as learn a good deal of electronic theory to get a license.

It was a blast at 13 years old to reach out to people from all over the world in the middle of the night while my parents were sleeping. We had conversations in morse code and SSB voice (Single Side Band). We exchanged "QSL" cards - postcards with our call letters. Part of the fun of the hobby was collecting these QSL cards from as many places in the world as we could, and putting them up on the wall.

I will never forget putting a "quad" ham radio antenna (a huge rectangular framed metal thing) on top of a radio tower that my father had installed on top of our house. He called the local fire department and they brought over a fire-truck with a ladder to help me put it up. The installation went ok but as soon as they left, a wind came and blew the antenna down :-(. Ahhh memories.

At about age 16 I ditched the ham radio, put leopard wallpaper on the walls in my bedroom, put up black lights and the requisite velvet based posters, began to blast the Doors and Iron Butterfly on my KLH stereo and found girls. I was never the same....

But it was a lot of fun and I've been thinking about doing it again as well. Try this site for more up to date information... http://www.arrl.org/

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Martin 2008 000-18 Golden Era

Last edited by Steve-arino; 08-09-2020 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:29 PM

Hi Blueser -
WA1ISD here. I’ve been a ham since 1967 and have seen the field change as dramatically as the technology. Communications that once required massive antennas and kilowatt amplifier can now be achieved with transceivers the size of a cigarette pack (remember those?).

The best starting point is ARRL.org (The American Radio Relay League). They have many beginner FAQs and tutorials and likely can get you hooked up with some local ‘Elmers’, an affectionate term for a ham radio mentor.

I have not been on the air consistently for many years, but that is a matter of spare time. I will likely pick it up again when I retire. In the past, I had a great fascination with building radios and gear. I also enjoyed working with very low power communication and seeing how distant a contact I could make.

One caveat - GAS in ham radio is probably equal or greater to the GAS problem that we all have with guitars. Good luck with this!

All best es 73s (ham radio sign-off)

Rick

PS - you’re absolutely right - when all communications are down, ham radio still works. This was dramatically illustrated during Hurricane Katrina. FEMA now works closely with ham radio groups during times of disaster.

Last edited by srick; 08-09-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
Actually I was a ham radio operator (WA2IFV) in my early teens back in the late 60's. Back then we had to know morse code as well as learn a good deal of electronic theory to get a license.

It was a blast at 13 years old to reach out to people from all over the world in the middle of the night while my parents were sleeping. We had conversations in morse code and SSB voice (Single Side Band). We exchanged "QSL" cards - postcards with our call letters. Part of the fun of the hobby was collecting these QSL cards from as many places in the world as we could, and putting them up on the wall.
I had a similar experience in the late 70s. There were a bunch of local guys who got together and gave a course, and a friend of mine and I were the only ones who showed up. So it ended up being four experienced older guys teaching two high school freshman. Needless to say, we got a lot of individual attention and both ended up passing the tests (back then there was a theory test and a Morse Code test) on our first attempt.

My parents bought me a radio for my 14th birthday and for several years I was very into it. However, I eventually got more interested in other things and right before leaving for college I sold my radio. I have forgotten most of what I once knew but I still have the postcards and I will never forget the Morse Code for CQ.

I remember it being a lot of fun, especially the Morse Code.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post

I will never forget putting a "quad" ham radio antenna (a huge rectangular framed metal thing) on top of a radio tower that my father had installed on top of our house. He called the local fire department and they brought over a fire-truck with a ladder to help me put it up. The installation went ok but as soon as they left, a wind came and blew the antenna down :-(. Ahhh memories.

At about age 16 I ditched the ham radio, put leopard wallpaper on the walls in my bedroom, put up black lights and the requisite velvet based posters, began to blast the Doors and Iron Butterfly on my KLH stereo and found girls. I was never the same....

But it was a lot of fun and I've been thinking about doing it again as well. Try this site for more up to date information... http://www.arrl.org/
What a great story thanks for sharing that. We had black lights and glow posters too!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof S. View Post
I had a similar experience in the late 70s. There were a bunch of local guys who got together and gave a course, and a friend of mine and I were the only ones who showed up. So it ended up being four experienced older guys teaching two high school freshman. Needless to say, we got a lot of individual attention and both ended up passing the tests (back then there was a theory test and a Morse Code test) on our first attempt.

My parents bought me a radio for my 14th birthday and for several years I was very into it. However, I eventually got more interested in other things and right before leaving for college I sold my radio. I have forgotten most of what I once knew but I still have the postcards and I will never forget the Morse Code for CQ.

I remember it being a lot of fun, especially the Morse Code.
Great story! They did away with the Morse code requirement though I think it would neat to study it and know how to use it. I'll have to do some more research on starting another hobby...also if I have to invest in a big antenna that might be a non-starter over here.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:55 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:46 AM

I am not a Ham but this thread brought back some great memories of my Dad who was (K1CFW). I spent a lot of weekends as a kid holding ladders while he put a new Yagi or dipole antenna up around the house. I listened with him to the irate phone calls from neighbors who were mad about interference with their TV reception. Every summer, the local club held a "Field Day" where all the Hams went somewhere in a field and set up a net to simulate the aftermath of a nuclear war. He also was great at tracking down the "rabbit" - an exercise where one guy hid somewhere and transmitted. The mobile users like my Dad who had directional antennae and car radio's used triangulation to find him.

My Dad wanted me to qualify but I was a shy young person and had difficulty thinking of anything to say when he thrust the mike in front of me. After he passed away my brother and I made a lot of young Hams happy by giving away his gear as a tribute.

Thanks for the memories.

Cincy
Old 08-11-2020, 10:54 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
I've been continuously licensed since 1971.
Was very active in high school talking with my nerdly friends in the evenings using a radio I built from a kit. I still have that radio and it still works! (vacuum tubes)
Uni - I see you're in Fort Collins! I can't tell you how many New Year's Eves that this Ham Operator listened to WWV ring in the New Year . (Fortunately less than ten, but in the 1960's that was pretty exciting!)
Old 08-11-2020, 12:42 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:06 PM

Blueser100, I got my radio license in 1957-58. I let it lapse for a while, but got licensed again 17 years ago. It can be great fun. Poking around arrl.org is a good way to learn more. However, a better way is to find a local amateur radio club; put in your zip code on this page to find some in your area: http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

You certainly do not need a huge or expensive antenna. Equipment can range from expensive to less than $100, depending on what your interests are.

Cincy2, judging by our call letters, your father and I probably got our licenses around the same time; I am K1CMF.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterc View Post

Cincy2, judging by our call letters, your father and I probably got our licenses around the same time; I am K1CMF.
Yes. It was right around that time.

Cincy
Old 08-13-2020, 01:49 PM

I am not an operator, but have had an interest when I was much younger.
When I was a teenager, CB radios were the big item and ham radio was out of reach financially.
My interest has been renewed after reading this post and I think I just may pursue the hobby.
Thanks for posting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic