The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-20-2020, 11:44 AM

Default Zoom H4n Pro Question

I bought one of these after I sold my 2x4 focusrite and I am very happy with it. I only record something now and then that I put a lot of effort into but I do record my practice a lot. I have used this recorder now three different ways and was impressed with the recordings.

Is there any way now that I do not have the Focusrite that I can still use my two monitors when I really want to mix something that I am serious about? I did have a adapter laying around that you can plug one 1/4 jack into and on the other end is a 1/8 inch. I tried that on my laptop using the headphone jack with one monitor and nothing happened. Zoom has a 1/8 inch output that I can try also. I know I would have to connect to my daw and that is no issue but do they make an adapter jack that would take the two 1/4 inch jacks and turn them into one 1/8 jack? Do they make something like that? If not what are my other options? A inexpensive mixer or something like that?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:52 AM

This is when we really miss Radio Shack!!

I did an Amazon search for "1/8 stereo to dual 1/4 mono" and found several products that look like they'll do the job.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-21-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
This is when we really miss Radio Shack!!

I did an Amazon search for "1/8 stereo to dual 1/4 mono" and found several products that look like they'll do the job.

Fran
Thanks. I found one from Sweetwater. It's a Y cable and looks like it will do it. I just wonder if the quality of sound will be affected?
Old 07-21-2020, 08:43 PM

Your cable is unbalanced, which means it will have a little less output and more prone to noise interference. Keep the length short and away from power runs, and it will work fine. I'd probably use the Zoom, unless your laptop comes with a good sound card.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD