The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-02-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
How did you spend $500 for $360 worth of gear? Plus a few cables and a mic stand, I guess, but ...

Look at a LDC (Large Diameter Condensor) mic, it will work fine for acoustic guitar, and can also be used for vocals. Lots of choices in the $100-$170 range. Those $110 speakers are no good for low end, you really can't ell how your recording sounds though those. Your bad sound (no matter where the mic to guitar was) - did you have monitoring on so the sound was coming out through the speakers while recording?
$390 for the 3 main items pre-tax. And like you said, plus cable(s) and a stand.

Anyway, great point about having the speakers on when recording. That can certainly introduce a whole new mess into a recording.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:15 PM

Chipotle,
Quote:
"So this mic is just for recording acoustic? No vocals? Is stereo necessary?"
Just recording acoustic guitar, and vocals are not primary concern as I feel I can do vocals in a sep. track. Stereo? Not a bad idea, based on ideas here I may go with 2x mic setup to get the Stereo.
I'll review some of that gear thank you for the recommendations

RobB - will check out that SE8 as a pair option

Rudy4 - great ideas, thank you
GC strikes yes. I should have known better.

FrankHudson
thanks for your perspective

MikeBMusic
Quote:
"How did I spend $500 for $360 of gear"
- I did buy 2 cables that I needed, as well as a boom arm for an existing stand. I said no to all 'extended warranty' so this was the total $505 after tax. Trying to think of what else I may have bought. Mass sales tax at 6.25%.

Studio Monitors $110
Sennheiser Mic $110
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - $160
$50, $27, $18 for the cables, and boom arm
Old 08-04-2020, 02:24 PM

I posted my noob learnings here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=588734

Ultimately I ended up using an Audio Technica AT2020, and not using that new Sennheiser e609 Silver... but funny enough- I only chose this because it was free. I had one in the closet, but never realized it was suited for this sort of recording.

Ultimately I solved the booming issue by correctly placing the mic.
I moved some things around to find a good spot.
I changed from AUDACITY to REAPER for DAW
I also believe the mic XLR cable I was using (new nice one) vs old crappy one may have played a role.

I am happy with the recorded audio results that I'm getting now. A sound that simply sounds like you are in the room listening, without a lot of noise, distortion, or fuzz, and the guitar is not boomy and echo-y.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD