The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Default Interactive online lessons. Recommendations

Hi all. After succumbing to GAS many times, I realize I need to invest money in learning. Online lessons are great, but with no accountability, it’s hard for me to stick with it. Something over Skype would be ideal as I have availability usually only after 8(when most shops are closed).

A google search yielded a lot of results, but I have no idea how to tell the good from the bad.

Recs? Thanks in advance!

-Drew

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

What style do you want to play?

For finger-picking blues, Toby Walker is a member here who does Skype lessons.

For all sorts of finger-picking, one of our members does Skype lessons with Mark Hanson.

They both get good feedback on the AGF.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:12 AM

A great question, but one I have a hard time answering. I'm kind of all over the place. I've been playing on and off for 18 years, so I can strum and pick ok. But I've never learned how to read music, nor do I understand keys. So I'd love to understand music theory better.

I would love to up my steel string game as well as nylon. I guess I need to choose one and take it from there.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Old 06-20-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
A great question, but one I have a hard time answering. I'm kind of all over the place. I've been playing on and off for 18 years, so I can strum and pick ok. But I've never learned how to read music, nor do I understand keys. So I'd love to understand music theory better.

I would love to up my steel string game as well as nylon. I guess I need to choose one and take it from there.

You don't need to be able to read music, you can go a long way with tab, your ear and a practical knowledge of music theory. You can get that a lot cheaper than having someone explain it to you via Skype. I would check out justinguitar.com for some theory lessons that will be free or nearly so.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
You don't need to be able to read music, you can go a long way with tab, your ear and a practical knowledge of music theory. You can get that a lot cheaper than having someone explain it to you via Skype. I would check out justinguitar.com for some theory lessons that will be free or nearly so.

Good luck!
Good point Bob. I really just want a basic understanding of guitar theory that will allow me to be able to “play” with music(ie writing and improvisation). From there I would love to learn some finger style and classical. It would be helpful to have someone meet me where I’m at rather than go down self directed rabbit holes.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write