The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:26 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
The list of guitars and wood sets I would love to build with is growing faster than how fast I build guitars. I hope to keep it at this pace till the day I die. What could be better than that?
Haha ... I can see I was thinking this all backwards. May you have many more years of enjoyment and pleasure, chasing this love of yours 😉

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 04-21-2019, 09:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBKuz View Post
Haha ... I can see I was thinking this all backwards. May you have many more years of enjoyment and pleasure, chasing this love of yours 😉
Thank you IBKuz and thanks for following along.

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 04-22-2019, 07:14 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

Now that the selection of potential button woods has grown so much I needed a better way to show examples to aid in the decision. Just showing the a picture of the wood I am getting the buttons from isn't
necessarily all that helpful:

So I came up with a quick way to get closer to how the buttons will look:

The blank that I cut the button shape out of is about an 1/8" thick and if it is lit low on one side the shadow helps it look more like a three dimensional button.

So which wood did we decide on for this Penelope guitar?

The Amboyna Burl was agreed on as be the best choice. Here is a picture of the buttons with the ferrules in:

I'll wrap this little series up with a glimpse of how this current Penelope headstock will look:

Thanks for following along!
Mark
Hi Mark...
This is one of the most beautiful headstock themes that I’ve ever seen. As you were showing pictures of the “button possibilities”...I immediately hoped that you would choose the Amboyna burl...and it turned out to be more beautiful than I anticipated!!!

As for following along...although I don’t have the time to frequent the AGF as often as I’d like to...your posts always pull me in for a peek. Your aesthetic artistry resonates with my own internally-driven rhythms...and, as someone who is trying to absorb as much as possible from other builders, I thank you for sharing as much as you do.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-22-2019, 08:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Mark! Loved the button shots! Lovely work!
The brass ferrules are a particularly good idea.
Thanks for posting all that!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-23-2019, 04:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Hi Mark...
This is one of the most beautiful headstock themes that I’ve ever seen. As you were showing pictures of the “button possibilities”...I immediately hoped that you would choose the Amboyna burl...and it turned out to be more beautiful than I anticipated!!!

As for following along...although I don’t have the time to frequent the AGF as often as I’d like to...your posts always pull me in for a peek. Your aesthetic artistry resonates with my own internally-driven rhythms...and, as someone who is trying to absorb as much as possible from other builders, I thank you for sharing as much as you do.

Joel
Thanks Joel, I am happy to contribute and certainly benefit from the open exchange of information in the guitar building community. This benefits us all in keeping and growing our little piece of the guitar market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Mark! Loved the button shots! Lovely work!
The brass ferrules are a particularly good idea.
Thanks for posting all that!

Steve
Your welcome Steve, thanks for commenting. The Gotoh 510s are the workhorse of the quality guitar market. Being able to do some customization adds ascetic options while also enhancing performance is certainly a leg up for the custom builders.

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 04-23-2019, 04:59 AM

Gorgeous. And I love the button template....great idea.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 04-23-2019, 07:26 AM

I'm a sucker for 2 tone amboyna burl. Looks killer!
Old 04-24-2019, 04:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Gorgeous. And I love the button template....great idea.
Thanks ukejon, quick and easy isn’t always a bad thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I'm a sucker for 2 tone amboyna burl. Looks killer!
Thanks s2y, I’m right there with you. That contrast gives a lot to work with and the result will always be unique.

Thanks for commenting,
Mark

Old 04-26-2019, 10:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Website

It's been about 7 years since I've had a real upgrade on my website. It's not really compatible with smart phones or iPads etc. It doesn't have all the current scrolls and parallax whistles and bells. It's time for a complete change.
One of the issues I have is how hard it has been to make minor changes. So this time I thought I'd take control and do the website on my own taking advantage of all the more user friendly web building software.
Most of the work is putting together all the content and vision for the site even if you pay someone else to do it. So I'm doing on my own and, of course, there have been many bumps on this road but, I'm making headway! Except my brain hurts!

Old 04-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Smile You have my complete sympathy...

Quote:
It's been about 7 years since I've had a real upgrade on my website. It's not really compatible with smart phones or iPads etc. It doesn't have all the current scrolls and parallax whistles and bells. It's time for a complete change.
One of the issues I have is how hard it has been to make minor changes. So this time I thought I'd take control and do the website on my own taking advantage of all the more user friendly web building software.
Most of the work is putting together all the content and vision for the site even if you pay someone else to do it. So I'm doing on my own and, of course, there have been many bumps on this road but, I'm making headway! Except my brain hurts!
I hate computers and often wonder if life was not really better before electronics at all... so please accept my condolences on your website efforts! Haha

Meanwhile, if not for my trusty iPad I would not get to visit AGF! So it is not ALL bad.

As for the headstock above, it is WAY beyond Beautiful !!! Unreal workmanship and esthetics.

I have yet to get the thrill of playing a Hatcher, but my guitar buddies who have certainly rave about your instruments ! I hope to experience one of your beautiful guitars soon.

Thank you for sharing so much with us all!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-27-2019, 07:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I hate computers and often wonder if life was not really better before electronics at all... so please accept my condolences on your website efforts! Haha

Meanwhile, if not for my trusty iPad I would not get to visit AGF! So it is not ALL bad.

As for the headstock above, it is WAY beyond Beautiful !!! Unreal workmanship and esthetics.

I have yet to get the thrill of playing a Hatcher, but my guitar buddies who have certainly rave about your instruments ! I hope to experience one of your beautiful guitars soon.

Thank you for sharing so much with us all!

Paul
Thank you for the kind words Paul. I can’t complain too much about computors either. It is because of technology I could move out of NJ to New Hampshire with 1,500 acres of woods in my back yard. In fact, 96 percent of NH is under trees, just as I like. From here I can sell guitars all over the world while seeing bobcats and turkeys out my studio window. So I’ll stop complaining and get this website done!
I think I’ve just been in website overload lately. I’m on the new website committee for our local open studio art tour group and this weekend I need to spend a couple hours trial running the new website for the New Hampshire Woodworkers Guild which the Granite State Luthier group is part of.
I guess I could say I’m in website immersion but, this is how I learn best.

Yes, that two tone Amboyna burl is great and inspiring to work with. I’ve been buying a lot more of it and we’ll see more popping up on future builds.

Mark

Old 04-29-2019, 12:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Two Tone Aboyna Burl

I've been building up my stash of two tone Amboyna Burl. I now have a good supply for headstocks, tuner buttons, rosettes, heel caps, end grafts, logo chips...…

I'm sure I'll come up with more!

Mark

Old 05-01-2019, 09:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default New Feature on My Bridges

At one of our Granite State Luthiers meetings Alan Carruth spoke about how to set up a saddle in a way that tends to stay intonated if you raise or lower it. That caught my interest and the more I learned about it the more I thought I should be doing this.

The higher the strings are, the sharper they get when you fret them. To compensate you move the peak or break point of the saddle back a little bit. The technique to help with this is to tilt the saddle back a little bit. The higher it goes, the further back the point moves. Easy Peasy. Well that is a little easier said than done.

I'm not a jig guy but, this project passes all my rules for justifying a jig. A couple of those rules are: no single use jigs, they have to work for all of my guitar models and they have to be adjustable.

So this is what I've spent the last couple days figuring out and making:

You can see how it angles the saddle back better in this picture:

Here is a dummy bridge blank with a dummy saddle in place:

You know you are on the right track when you realize you are getting additional benefits as you dig into something new. With this another big benefit is normally the strings going over the saddle tend to push it forward sometime even causing the bridge to crack out there. With this set up the force is directed down into the guitar where you want it.

I now have a new standard feature that comes with Hatcher Guitars (I'll need to add this into the new website I'm working on!)

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 05-02-2019 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:54 AM

Mark your solutions are always so elegant, thank you kindly for this continued education.

Last edited by amohr; 05-02-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Very elegant solution to that slopped saddle Mark. I currently just tilt the blank up on one edge of the clamping vice and consequently run the risk of getting more variability in the angle the saddle takes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop