The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-20-2010, 07:09 AM

Default Schertler DYN-G extension advice needed

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out the best way to extend the cable on my DYN-G and to adapt it to go to the standard phono plug on my amp. (I'm using the XLR for my vocal mic). I am new to performing amped, so am still trying to get my head around how this should work.

Would adapting the XLR cable on the DYN to Standard phono plug hurt sound quality or decrease volume? Are there other things folks have tried, or is there a better way to do this with the vocal mic and DYN that I am just not getting? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 AM

Depends as much on the amp and the particulars of those 2 channels as anything special about the DYN. I've done it both ways (1/4" and XLR) into a Schertler David, a Bose T1; and Baggs PADI (that only takes 1/4" input).

Generally speaking, the DYN runs a relatively hot signal that is closer to a dynamic mic than standard guitar pups. All things being equal I'd keep it XLR just as you would a mic, but it can handle 1/4". On the David it seems to sound better into the XLR input but then that has a setting designed specifically for the DYN. Into the T1 it sounds much the same either way.

It's rare to run into other DYN users here. What's been your overall experience with it?

R.Taylor Style 1 Cocobolo/Engelmann; Martin: OM-28M Rosanne Cash (Adi/Madrose); Custom Shop OMC-21 Juber (Gautemalen/Moon Spruce); CS 000-28 (Italian Alpine/Madrose); Santa Cruz OM Custom (Brazilian/German Spruce); Kevin Ryan Mission GC Brazilian/European Spruce
Old 03-21-2010, 03:36 AM

I'd suggest running the Dyn-G into a preamp with an XLR in and then use 1/4" out from the preamp to the amp. I've been using a DTAR Solstice for this and it works very well. The Solstice is a 2 channel preamp/blender and great if your using the Dyn-G with another pickup. For a good deal less $ you might look at the PreSonus Tube Pre which is a single channel preamp with XLR and 1/4" inputs and outputs. I've never used one with a Dyn-G so if you go that route I'd recommend you try before you buy.
Regards,
Ed
Old 03-21-2010, 05:59 AM

Good idea marioed, I haven't tried that with my DYN-Gs yet..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prm1 View Post
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out the best way to extend the cable on my DYN-G and to adapt it to go to the standard phono plug on my amp. (I'm using the XLR for my vocal mic). I am new to performing amped, so am still trying to get my head around how this should work.

Would adapting the XLR cable on the DYN to Standard phono plug hurt sound quality or decrease volume? Are there other things folks have tried, or is there a better way to do this with the vocal mic and DYN that I am just not getting? Thanks.
The XLR input in your amp goes through a preamp circuit to boost microphone output to a level suitable for the power amplifier. The instrument, phono input bypasses that preamp. In order to get the best results through the instrument, phono jack on your amp, you'd have to connect your DYN-G to a microphone preamp. Schertler makes one designed for the DYN-G, the PRE-AII preamplifier. You can buy less expensive microphone preamplifiers, however.

http://www.schertlerusa.com/preamps.htm
Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Kramster,
I've come to really like using an outboard preamp/blender, especially with the Dyn-G. I play a number of different instruments and the versatility of the Dyn-G is nice. The Solstice is a good mid-priced preamp/blender, each channel has seperate controls which makes blending two signals pretty easy. When I play out I can run the preamp into my amp, the house PA, or a mixer if I'm playing with a group, whatever works best. The group I usually play with has a nice powered mixer, monitors and speakers so I don't have to lug my amp along when I sit in with them.
Regards,
Ed
Old 03-22-2010, 05:50 AM

Default thanks

These thoughts give me some good options-thanks to all! So far, I have only been able to use the DYN-G at home, but it seems to produce a really nice amped tone, so I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up and playing out with it. I"ll be looking for one of these preamps!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:32 PM

try running the DYN direct into an XLR input on a house board....again, it's a really hot signal that needs no pre-amp, just EQ. Different matter if you want to blend with another signal in a dual-source config, or give yourself a volume and EQ control next to you on stage. But I wouldn't get a pre-amp box just to boost the signal to line strength to use a 1/4" input on your amp. Better to think of it as a REALLY close external mic (with commensurate sound) and keep it XLR.

R.Taylor Style 1 Cocobolo/Engelmann; Martin: OM-28M Rosanne Cash (Adi/Madrose); Custom Shop OMC-21 Juber (Gautemalen/Moon Spruce); CS 000-28 (Italian Alpine/Madrose); Santa Cruz OM Custom (Brazilian/German Spruce); Kevin Ryan Mission GC Brazilian/European Spruce
Old 03-22-2010, 08:47 PM

I do have that Schertler preamp and might try the SPS-1 with a dual source when I remember to... Maybe I have too much stuff around here.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-23-2010, 11:56 PM

okay, I've got a signal chain for the DYN crowd (just tested today, after I picked up an aux. power supply for my Bose T1 so I can run it as a standalone mixer without direct connection to the L1).

DYN on the bridge goes straight XLR into T1 channel 1 (using a "Mando with Schertler DYN" preset from the Breedlove bank, which has been the best match so far).

Audix VX5 condenser mic a few inches above fingerboard side of soundhole goes into T1 channel 2 (using a VX5 preset from Audix) and draws phantom power from the T1.

Big EQ cuts on both channels using T1 ParaEQ, and input/output levels matched and blended at my fingertips, as the T1 is mounted on my mic stand using a QwikStix clamp tray. The channel mute buttons prove very helpful in matching the two sources for tone and volume. I can get it to where my audiophile bassist can't tell which is which (yes, the DYN is that close to an external mic!).

Master out (with pre-master volume tap point) from the T1 to XLR/mic input of Schertler David. This sits to my side, tilted up, as my dual-source guitar monitor and DI.

DI out of the David to house -- or for my testing today, to the L1 tower (of course when I'm able to use the L1 there is no need for a separate monitor).

A $35 aux. power unit lets you leverage the $500 T1 as a multi-channel mixer, blender, parametric EQ with notch filter and tuner for any kind of dual-source guitar config you can dream up -- with or without the L1 as the eventual PA.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:09 AM

Good stuff thanks. My T1 works very well with the Unico and Cub 100.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification