The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-09-2020, 08:02 AM

Default Borrow a mic?

**Moderator, please delete. Problem solved.
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com

Last edited by lukegard22; 01-10-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:33 AM

Most of the mics that someone would be willing to "loan" are going to be of the pac-rim variety. You can apply what you'd spend on shipping two ways to discount the purchase of one of these pedestrian LDCs and you get to keep it or re-sell it, so it ends up costing you next to nothing.

Musician's friend will ship you a MXL 990 with shockmount for less than a Benjamin and their ribbon is considerably less than that.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ith-shockmount
Old 01-09-2020, 08:35 AM

Don't a lot of music stores rent gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukegard22 View Post
Hello AGF, I've got a favor to ask ...

Anyone have a large diaphragm mic or ribbon mic that I could borrow?

I know it's a long shot. But does anyone have a nice mic collecting dust?

I'm a nice and trustworthy guy. Recording my second album, which will be an instrumental guitar hymns album. Plan on being done with recording by at least June.

I've been eyeballing lots of LDC or Ribbon options, but I'm not into over-paying for a mic, and the music gear market right now is very inflated.

I would pay for shipping down to me and shipping back.

I will delete this post if I don't get responses - don't need to muddy up the forum.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I will probably be called a cynic, but... you "aren't into over-paying for a mic," but you want to borrow one for for free... from someone who apparently is into over-paying for a mic? And, you want to borrow it for 6 months? Meaning the lender would not have use of that mic for that time?

If you are making a second album, you should be at a point where you invest in yourself and the gear necessary to get the job done.

I once lent a guitar to a friend of a friend, who was traveling in the area. My friend vouched for him. One night, and it was at an event where I was playing, as well. So, I could pretty much keep an eye on it. The guy wailed on that guitar. When I pointed out the scratches in the top, he said those were there when he opened the case. They weren't. When I sold that guitar, I had to offer it for a reduced price due to the cosmetics. It taught me not to borrow or lend equipment. Last time I needed a PA while traveling, I rented from a local music store.

You are probably a good guy who would be very careful with borrowed equipment. Still seems to be a reach, all things considered.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukegard22 View Post
I've been eyeballing lots of LDC or Ribbon options, but I'm not into over-paying for a mic, and the music gear market right now is very inflated.
I'm not sure what constitutes "over-paying" but there are plenty of used mics that can be had for way below the cost of new.

Used Microphones on Reverb
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-09-2020, 11:20 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Large diaphragm mics are some of the most physically sensitive mics out there (behind ribbon mics) and as a result, the owners aren't typically inclined to loan them out. Some companies that lease them demand a deposit equal to their total value, and understandably so.

I think a better option might be for you to purchase an excellent, lower-cost mic and keep it for your third project as well. May I suggest the Rode NT1? I prefer the NT1 at $269 but you can get the earlier NT1A for $199 and it will probably do as well for you. The NT1 is just a little smoother. We've got both here at the studio and they are both nice-sounding and robust. You can find them used on Reverb for quite a bit less than retail.

All the best,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-09-2020, 01:36 PM

I don't loan or borrow any of my equipment music or shop. I might if I know the person and can trust them or if it was something I was going to toss out anyway.

Go into a studio and pay for recording time and a engineer, You get to use the best equipment and talent, In the long run it is worth it.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Most of the mics that someone would be willing to "loan" are going to be of the pac-rim variety. You can apply what you'd spend on shipping two ways to discount the purchase of one of these pedestrian LDCs and you get to keep it or re-sell it, so it ends up costing you next to nothing.

Musician's friend will ship you a MXL 990 with shockmount for less than a Benjamin and their ribbon is considerably less than that.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...ith-shockmount
The MXL990 isn't bad and GC has the MXL V250 for $60 also, both are fine Mic's
Old 01-10-2020, 07:39 AM

I have an older model that I picked up used for under $100, but the AKG P220 is a great LDC bargain, includes shockmount and metal carrying case.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ser-microphone

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD