The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Default Beginner's First Guitar Small Child

In my studio I often get parents asking me what they should get their kids for a beginner instrument. So far I just refer them to our local guitar shop. Do you guys have any recommendations? Budget is always their first concern.

thanks
chris

Lowden O25C
Martin OOO 1935
Gibson 335 custom
'68 Reissue Custom Fender Strat
Old 03-20-2010, 07:15 PM

sorry guys I just realized that I posted this in the wrong part of the forum! i can't figure out how to delete it. Any ideas how.

Lowden O25C
Martin OOO 1935
Gibson 335 custom
Old 03-21-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by localguitarist View Post
In my studio I often get parents asking me what they should get their kids for a beginner instrument. So far I just refer them to our local guitar shop. Do you guys have any recommendations? Budget is always their first concern.

thanks
chris
You can only go so cheap when buying a guitat. A cheap guitar won't play well. If a guitar doesn't stay in tune or if it is difficult to play, the motivation factor gets so low that the kid won't enjoy picking it up.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
You can only go so cheap when buying a guitat. A cheap guitar won't play well. If a guitar doesn't stay in tune or if it is difficult to play, the motivation factor gets so low that the kid won't enjoy picking it up.
+1. Fortunately, nowadays you can find some inexpensive, playable guitars. Since these are for beginners who may not stick with the guitar cost is always a concern. There are plenty of great, low-cost Yamahas out there. I'd also recommend a solid top.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:14 PM

I totally agree. That's been the problem. Finding one to recommend. I've seen some pretty horrific guitars carried through the door over the years. There do seem to be some makers that do a better job of making inexpensive beginner guitars that are still usable. Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised by the Yamaha's I've heard.

Lowden O25C
Martin OOO 1935
Gibson 335 custom
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 PM

As I am newbie to this site and especially new to learning to play, I would appreciate some advice as it relates to this issue as I have 2 young grandsons (one is left-handed) that wish to take lessons.

The local guitar shops are hawking electric guitars with included amp kits. They are emphasizing the greater ease of playing the electric guitars as opposed to acoustic guitars. Cost is a major concern.

Any advice?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification