The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-11-2010, 09:27 AM

Default Lloyd Baggs on Anthem: "Louder Than Snot!"

Lloyd Baggs's enthusiam is contagious in his video interview from NAMM 2010.
http://www.acousticguitar.com/video/...x?issueid=1227

It seems like he started with a less emotional technical explanation in mind, but in the end he goes with "You can also play it louder the snot, too, which is really a big deal!" and "Its hard to describe it. It just works!"

When I think he's about to say something about the system's natural response to the player's attack, he suddenly closes his eyes and short circuits for a moment, recovering with "Its hard to describe it. It just works!" Then he smiles and giggles at his own gaff. The spontaneity is endearing.

Gary

PS It looks like they might have editted out an expletive or two near the end, but I'm fairly sure the giggling at the end is about his "senior moment".

Last edited by guitaniac; 03-11-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Default I may bite

If the Anthem works like its getting hyped it should be an amazing step forward in acoustic tone. I can't wait to hear responses from the working musicians...

2004 Martin D41
2006 Guild D40

"The Future of Whistling"......Daniel Duncan
Old 03-11-2010, 10:44 PM

He said it could be played "louder than snot" but he didn't? Bummer....
Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 AM

Hi Pegleg,

Lloyd does give the guitar a couple of pretty solid whacks near the end of this NAMM video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApK_NBS5oiM

I can hear him say the words "the same dynamics", so I presume he's demonstrating that the Anthem system provides the same dynamic response to the player's attack as he/she would get when playing the guitar acoustically.

In any event, Lloyd Baggs's enthusiasm has a lot of credibility with me. That's because I have a high regard (as a former user and part-time soundman) for the last two innovative pickup systems (iMix and M1) which the Baggs folks came up with. Between the demo recordings (studio and NAMM) and Lloyd's enthusiasm, I have little doubt that the Anthem system will be a step up from the iMix.

Gary
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Hi Pegleg,

Lloyd does give the guitar a couple of pretty solid whacks near the end of this NAMM video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApK_NBS5oiM

I can hear him say the words "the same dynamics", so I presume he's demonstrating that the Anthem system provides the same dynamic response to the player's attack as he/she would get when playing the guitar acoustically.

In any event, Lloyd Baggs's enthusiasm has a lot of credibility with me. That's because I have a high regard (as a former user and part-time soundman) for the last two innovative pickup systems (iMix and M1) which the Baggs folks came up with. Between the demo recordings (studio and NAMM) and Lloyd's enthusiasm, I have little doubt that the Anthem system will be a step up from the iMix.

Gary
Thanks, of what I could hear, it did sound "natural"... we'll see..
Old 03-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post

Gary
Hi Gary,

I totally agree with you because the iMix, as installed by Larrivee in my formerly-owned D-05E, although a decent dual-source pickup system, I thought the iBeam portion of the system, as mounted with the 3M double-sided adhesive wasn't a good sounding pickup. If I used the Element portion of the iMix, and routed it through a Fishman Aura Dreadnought Pedal, I could get a superb amplified tone. The new Anthem/Element combo system I'm sure will be a big improvement over the iMix with its iBeam/Element pickups.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-13-2010, 06:03 AM

Hi SpruceTop,

I had a single-source iBeam in one of my guitars, but it proved to be too boomy and feedback prone for my needs. Even when only using about 30% iBeam in a UST/iBeam blend with my iMix-equipped guitar, I had to notch down some boominess around 160Hz. I liked the iBeam despite its "special needs", however, because it was the pickup which responded best when I shifted gears into a hard strumming attack. The iBeam would always give me more "umph" after the Element had maxed out. Its a very dynamically responsive pickup, and its the reason I take Lloyd Baggs seriously when he claims the Anthem system is dynamically responsive. Lloyd knows what dynamic responsiveness is about.

Gary
Old 03-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Default ibeam

I was set to get rid of my active ibeam in my Martin D41 but decided to keep it once I paired it with and Aura Spectrum...I believe the ibeam has a lot of flaws but hot signal is exactly what makes it work well with the aura pedal..I'm excited about the Anthem...I like what I'm hearing about it..

2004 Martin D41
2006 Guild D40

"The Future of Whistling"......Daniel Duncan
Old 03-22-2010, 09:43 PM

also excited. I've been following this one like the rest of us. I've actually been not so patiently waiting for it to come out and replace the fishman in my 03 J45 (i just bring up as in later year models the gibsons have baggs pickups in them.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification