The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Default I went to an "open mic" last night

Not the sort of venues I frequent, but it has started up very close to where I run my "acoustic music" club.

so I turned up with one of my dreadnought and a short list of numbers i might do, bought a half of Guinness and sat down shortly found myself in conversation with a few folks -some of whom had seen me doing gigs in a nearby club (not mine).
The organiser was polite and affable but busy setting up a rather complex p.a. compete with a "stage" monitor .. behind and beside a set of drums (not good news).

finally the place had a comfortable audience 20-30 ish, and the organiser and his pal started playing. they were both plugged in and his accomplice played a baby Taylor which sounded like an electric guitar and he played persistently regardless of the lyrics of the songs our host sung.
then it was floorspot time. A woman I knew with a very cheap acoustic plugged in and bashed though three numbers, followed by a young girl who sung very nicely with the host accompanying her. Then, not wishing to stay overlong, I opted to follow.

Mine host was rather put out when I said that I didn't plug in, but would use the two dynamic mics. He shrugged and put them way too close to me, and he introduced me to polite applause.

I continued, keeping mouth and guitar at least six inches away from the mics; I did the intro to my first song - Compadres of the Old Sierra Madre (Woody Paul) and the formally rather noisy and chatty audience went quiet - and stayed quiet throughout my brief set (Sweet Pea by Amos Lee and Magnolia Wind by Guy Clark) apart from enthusiastic applause at the appropriate times.

As I packed up and another young lady was having a keyboard set up, i was beset by people asking me questions - many through the next two acts.

Now, I am very old, and I know how to hold an audience, but my point was one that was pointed it to me many years ago when opening for Geoff Muldaur in a small club.

I arrived when he and the soundie was setting up the p.a. for him. Soundie said "That's fine but I'll turn it up when the place fills up".
"Please don't" said Mr M, "if it is too loud they'll talk or shout over it, but if it isn't quite loud enough they'll shut up and listen!"

I proved his wisdom again last night. if it is too loud - it becomes background noise, but if it requires their attention, they focus and listen and hear every word, every note!

I might go back again next week and "plug in" - I have one dread with a K&K installed.

Maybe they'll talk over me if the level is too loud - we'll see ...
Old 01-22-2020, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

That’s an interesting idea. Do let us know what happens.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:01 PM

Glad your stuff went down well. I remember saying to you in another thread open mics vary a lot in quality, atmosphere and the type of acts they attract.

I’m out of my comfort zone tonight playing before the feature act at a local folk club. Not sure how my stuff will go down, a lot of people prefer familiarity to original material but I don’t care for covers right now.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:04 PM

I would have liked to have heard that set, especially "Sweet Pea."

Had I just stumbled into that pub somewhere, the drum set would likely have sent me packing. So much noise, anymore.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
I would have liked to have heard that set, especially "Sweet Pea."

Had I just stumbled into that pub somewhere, the drum set would likely have sent me packing. So much noise, anymore.
Hi, this was my first attempt at Sweet Pea - before my throat cancer treatment when I could still grow a beard,and had my "old voice" and my very new (and tight) "Waterlieu" - I play is at least a tone lower now.
the drummer asked me if I wanted him to play along - at least he asked.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

That takes a lot of confidence to go on stage after a 100 db and bring it back to intimacy.

I enjoyed your story. I am sure many of the listeners enjoyed your voice and music.

I sometimes play my Goodall Standard without a mic at our local spot. I use a Blue Chip 80 and rely on the air. I usually Travis a bass line to help the song.

Sometimes they listen, sometimes not. It is nice to readjust the palette of presentation.

Most of the time when I used to solo singer songwriter gig I would not do this. But the 3 song, song circle,... or open mics, I applaud your confident approach.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:42 PM

Nicely done!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 01-22-2020, 02:13 PM

Thanks for that Andy! Brightened my day!
Old 01-22-2020, 02:16 PM

I appreciate and respect your wisdom!
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 01-22-2020, 02:27 PM

People don't always quiet down, no matter the quality of the music or the whisper-like volume of the performer.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, this was my first attempt at Sweet Pea - before my throat cancer treatment when I could still grow a beard,and had my "old voice" and my very new (and tight) "Waterlieu" - I play is at least a tone lower now.
Thanks! Enjoyed it. Thinking I may have to work that up for myself, sing it to my sweet pea.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:33 PM

Silly,

Thanks for the post. You hit on the exact reason I don't enjoy concerts that much. Everything is just to loud.

I would much prefer listening to an acoustic performance setup such as yours.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-22-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Enjoyed that Sweetpea, and your wisdom on open mics. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
Silly,

Thanks for the post. You hit on the exact reason I don't enjoy concerts that much. Everything is just to loud.

I would much prefer listening to an acoustic performance setup such as yours.
It really is!

We have a local promoter who has brought so many great (mostly American) acts to our city. He now puts on his concerts in a nice, small village all, maybe 100-150 seats? Last year, I saw John Reischmann and the Jaybirds - using two of three condenser mics, and they sounded wunnerful! The we saw Ron Block and Tony Furtado, both of whom had acoustic guitars and resonator five strings, and plugged them in - TOO LOUD! after the third number I scrambeld from my seat in the front row centre and went out to my car where I had some earplugs, went back, still too loud.

Next time, we saw Front Country, who plug everything in, but are usually with a good soundie (seen them twice before).

In case it was too loud again we sat by the door. We stood it for, maybe 15 minutes.

The promoter is an old friend so I wrote politely and told him about the sound - he seems to have taken me of his dist list.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:31 PM

OK, please don't throw any verbal bricks at me ... but I generally don't like to go to open mics at for-profit places such as bars. Why? Because the business owners are just using me and others as free entertainment. Sometimes I have been asked to pay a cover charge just so I can provide some free entertainment.

I have no problem playing an open mic at other places .. such as a home, or a library, American Legion hall, school, etc., or at a fund-raiser.

Now I guess I'm in the minority and I may be missing out on other opportunities to meet fellow musicians ... but I just don't feel comfortable as being the source of entertainment for somebody to make money off me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion