The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-27-2019, 12:55 PM

Default New electrics - for cheap

I've been on an electric kick the last few months (still playing acoustic though). Anyhow, I got these three guitars at once a couple weeks ago:

I bought them from Thonman in Germany and they're all Harley Benton which is their cheap Chinese import guitars. Total price, with a customs fee included (which some don't pay... it's a luck of the draw whether you do or don't) was about $400 for all three shipped.

The first guitar black SG was a return and not in perfect shape, but I don't care as it will be my beater/mod guitar. Already changed the pickups with Guitar Madness pickups ($35 on eBay) and it sounds very good actually. But I, by accident, switched the pickup mounts so volume of the PUs is off... I have to redo them next week but I can tell it will sound very good when done correctly.

As for the tele, well, I've never had a tele and this sounds just like a tele to me. It's got that bright spank when clean and hard crunch when overdriven. It honestly sounds very good. It's not a $2k tele, but it could easily pass for a $500 or $600 tele, or possibly more.

I got the LP style guitar because I wanted to try P90s. Again, it sounds really good. Nice and dirty... excellent for classic rock. I'm not fooling myself thinking it's anywhere near an actual LP gold top, but it's, honestly very, very good. Good enough for me to try P90s.

The fit and finish were very good on the LP and tele. Not perfect, but the action was good and guitars stay in tune. If you look them over there are small imperfections here and there but nothing major.

The SG style needs to have the fret ends filed a bit and the tuning machines needed to be tightened. The stock PUs sounded decent, but the GM pickups sound better.

Anyhow, for not much money at all, I'm very happy.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

Last edited by robj144; 10-27-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Anyhow, for not much money at all, I'm very happy.
Can't put a price on that.

I have some spendy guitars and some cheap ones, and both put a smile on my face. I'd like to try more cheap ones, but the youtuber influencers gin up the interest and the sellers are dry almost all of the time (save for the HB models you have, but at least that TE-70 is sold out). Artist and Firefly are problems for the slower-fingered among us!
Old 10-27-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Can't put a price on that.

I have some spendy guitars and some cheap ones, and both put a smile on my face. I'd like to try more cheap ones, but the youtuber influencers gin up the interest and the sellers are dry almost all of the time (save for the HB models you have, but at least that TE-70 is sold out). Artist and Firefly are problems for the slower-fingered among us!
Yeah... to me, the difference in expensive and really cheap electrics is not as much as a really cheap acoustic and expensive acoustics. That's if you have a decent amp though. For electrics, a lot of the sound comes from the PUs and then the amps. So, if you have good PUs and a decent amp, that's like 90% of the sound.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-27-2019, 03:55 PM

Nice haul buddy. I am so wanting to buy an ampand a Yamaha electric. Solid body. PAC112V. $300.

I bet I have bought and sold 6 different electrics and 6 different amps. I get all wanting them, make the purchase and find out right away its a different animal than an acoustic and don't put the time to "learn" how to play an electric. Drives me nuts.

So lately I've been talking to myself...buy an amp and guitar and play it from now through the winter. I don't know guys. Would that work.?? This time around.?? Doubt it.... I'm a fool.

Could be the Larrivee. Sounds too pretty to put away.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...lrSearchToView
Old 10-27-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Nice haul buddy. I am so wanting to buy an ampand a Yamaha electric. Solid body. PAC112V. $300.

I bet I have bought and sold 6 different electrics and 6 different amps. I get all wanting them, make the purchase and find out right away its a different animal than an acoustic and don't put the time to "learn" how to play an electric. Drives me nuts.

So lately I've been talking to myself...buy an amp and guitar and play it from now through the winter. I don't know guys. Would that work.?? This time around.?? Doubt it.... I'm a fool.

Could be the Larrivee. Sounds too pretty to put away.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...lrSearchToView
Thanks.

As I was saying, IMHO, I think it takes less money to get an excellent electric sound as opposed to an excellent acoustic guitar.

So, don't spend much and just play around with it.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

Last edited by robj144; 10-28-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:43 PM

Speaking of inexpensive guitars, I bought an Epiphone SG Special today for $178- black nice shape.....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 10-29-2019, 05:36 AM

Sweetwater was selling a Squire Strat H-S-S for 200 about a year ago. For that price I ordered one. Love it..my teacher loves it, great neck, no sharp or out of line frets, stay in tune ( amazing). Nothing better than to hit a home run on a cheap guitar that plays and sounds great...
Old 10-29-2019, 07:25 AM

plays great, sounds great, nice wide neck....

[IMG][/IMG]
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 10-29-2019, 01:12 PM

Wow, nice score. I like them all!
Old 10-30-2019, 01:28 PM

Rob - looks like some nice electrics. I'd like to try that myself, order 2-3 Harley Bentons just to give them a go. The 'same shipping price' for multiple guitars makes the decision easier. That Gold Top looks sweet.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:45 PM

Some of the Asian knockoffs are pretty incredible, sometimes only needing a good setup. As a "joke" I bought a Chibson LP Custom for $225. After some "over-improvement" it was so good that I rarely took my genuine Gibson out of the case, and never ever gigged with it. It turns out, it wasn't a joke... and I ended up selling the Gibson which was a terminal closet queen. The Chibson was 2 pounds lighter, and with pickups, wires, nut and saddle and setup played and sounded as good as the real thing. Here's my Chibson next to its Gibson twin. If you're an aficionado you should be able to tell which is which. If I had to do it again, I'd buy it unbranded or with the Vindibona brand on the headstock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg genuine_vs_fake.jpg (44.7 KB, 344 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Gees, 400 fat for 3 pretty decent guitars? Sweet deal indeed. Enjoy the heck out then man. I know you will. I am currently looking for a used second electric guitar to go with my Taylor acoustic and current electric. From what I can see in the current used market you did very well brother!
Old 03-31-2020, 04:23 PM

A few month update for those interested on the quality of these cheap guitars. I swapped the PUs in the SG and it's my beater guitar that I don't really care about. It's still in the same condition as when I got it and sounds great with the PUs.

I have zero problems with the tele and I think it sounds very good too with stock PUs.

The LP style guitar with P90's sounds amazing. It might be favorite of all my electrics sound wise. But, the finish has started to chip. I mean literally chip... there are little divots in the finish. But, I really don't care as it's so cheap. Like I said it sounds great.

Just wanted to let you know the QC... it's a little hit and miss.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-31-2020, 04:37 PM

The Telecaster in particular looks fantastic!
Old 03-31-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
The Telecaster in particular looks fantastic!
I second that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars