The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I considered this, but ended up with a K&K solution (known quantity and all....)
Old 08-06-2017, 05:24 PM

I like PUTW and have a #54 installed in a dread to augment a Baggs LB6. I mix them with a Baggs MixPro and they (somehow) blend without phase issues. The #54 has a fairly natural tone (more so than the K&K) but is pretty low powered. It's a little more "mic-like" than a ceramic piezo SBT so I wouldn't, personally, recommend blending it with a mic. Going the extra distance and getting the Dynamic Trio may be worth it so that you have some additional flexibility. I treat mine like a microphone and cut the bass significantly as it was reinforcing the LB6's bass response and it was pretty boomy and prone to feedback. I think having the option to dial between their UST and the 54 would be much more dependable than the 54 alone.

For what it's worth, I'd consider getting the 54 again if I had the UST with it. For my current rig, I'm going to replace the 54 with an internal mic as it'll complement the LB6 a little better. The output levels between the two were too severe to depend on. But, you never know unless you try.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 08-06-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I like PUTW and have a #54 installed in a dread to augment a Baggs LB6. I mix them with a Baggs MixPro and they (somehow) blend without phase issues. The #54 has a fairly natural tone (more so than the K&K) but is pretty low powered. It's a little more "mic-like" than a ceramic piezo SBT so I wouldn't, personally, recommend blending it with a mic. Going the extra distance and getting the Dynamic Trio may be worth it so that you have some additional flexibility. I treat mine like a microphone and cut the bass significantly as it was reinforcing the LB6's bass response and it was pretty boomy and prone to feedback. I think having the option to dial between their UST and the 54 would be much more dependable than the 54 alone.

For what it's worth, I'd consider getting the 54 again if I had the UST with it. For my current rig, I'm going to replace the 54 with an internal mic as it'll complement the LB6 a little better. The output levels between the two were too severe to depend on. But, you never know unless you try.

Thank you! If I were to use the #54 in a single source installation, would there be a lack of bass?
Old 08-06-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Thank you! If I were to use the #54 in a single source installation, would there be a lack of bass?
I don't think so, mine probably had a little too much bass if anything. I think it's better than most SBTs but it can still get that boomy "in a cave" sound that they're prone to. A good endpin preamp will go a long way and assuming the MiSi has enough juice and headroom, that should give it a good boost that'll keep it from losing highs on its way to your outboard preamp. A soundhole cover and a preamp with a notch filter will help keep feedback at bay.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification