The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah1F View Post
First, I’m still trying to figure out what it is about the N2 neck that people don’t like. I realize it’s chunkier, but I just feel like you get used to whatever is put in your hands if you practice enough. And this is coming from someone who is literally child-sized. My hands are small to go along with everything else about me that’s small. Lol. I play my N2 neck dread without difficulty, and yes, it took a little bit of getting used to but now I see no difference in that one from playing my wood guitars of all shapes and sizes.

PRICE - A good price is what you’re willing to pay for it. I spent more than I wanted for this parlor, but it was definitely a fair and competitive price- below market value, I believe. It’s just that I have enough other guitars, but always wanted this one. I took a chance and offered the seller/store almost $400 less than what it was posted for- after it already stated that the price shown was after a price drop. I was surprised and happy when they accepted.

If you really want the guitar, do it now. They are going to be harder and harder to come by. Just throw an offer out there. Don’t be afraid to offer what you feel you want to pay, even if you think it’s low. If the seller really wants to sell, they will at the very least give you a counter offer.
I gigged a SMH Smokey guitar with N2 neck for a year. It was fine and I have large hands. I just prefer the N1 slightly and wish they had made one in between the two!

Like you said you adapt to whatever you play and it really doesn’t bother me. Also having the truss rod can be useful for micro adjustments.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Not to me.

I paid less than $1900 for a brand new Shorty in 2014, after taxes and with a “steal me” hard shell case.
In 2014 you could buy a Martin D-18 for $1800. They are $2800 now.
Old 01-10-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah1F View Post
First, I’m still trying to figure out what it is about the N2 neck that people don’t like. I realize it’s chunkier, but I just feel like you get used to whatever is put in your hands if you practice enough. And this is coming from someone who is literally child-sized. My hands are small to go along with everything else about me that’s small. Lol. I play my N2 neck dread without difficulty, and yes, it took a little bit of getting used to but now I see no difference in that one from playing my wood guitars of all shapes and sizes.

I’m glad you added a compact RainSong parlour guitar. I’ve played three examples and liked them all.

According to this poll 22% don’t like the N2 neck and 78% are okay.

RainSong did bring back the thinner N1 neck but it didn’t seem to sell well.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...highlight=Poll

Cheers

2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 01-15-2024, 08:43 AM

I’ve had one for a while. Had been casually looking for one and jumped when I saw one with no electronics. A rare find for these. Plan to install a K&K at some point. There nothing not to love about these.
Old 01-15-2024, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4now View Post
I’ve had one for a while. Had been casually looking for one and jumped when I saw one with no electronics. A rare find for these. Plan to install a K&K at some point. There nothing not to love about these.
I’ve had it for a few days now, Blue. It is such a work of art! That was the first thing that I loved about it. The size is also fantastic for me since I am petite and a lightweight. It’s taking me a little longer to get used to the sound, since I’m so used to the big sound my RS dread and other larger guitars that I own. Don’t get me wrong, not that it doesn't have a beautiful tone, it does. It just of course doesn’t have the boom that I’m used to. I did know that going in, so no surprises there! I am definitely appreciating this guitar more and more every day.
I’m also happy to have the built in electronics. Good luck with your K&K mini when the time comes!
Old 03-21-2024, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I just picked up a CH-PA Rainsong Parlor here on. the forum. Anyone have experience with this and opinions on strings? I understand string choise has more impact on composite/carbon axes, so looking for options to try out.

Thanks!

Phil
Old 03-22-2024, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EhPhil View Post
I just picked up a CH-PA Rainsong Parlor here on. the forum. Anyone have experience with this and opinions on strings? I understand string choise has more impact on composite/carbon axes, so looking for options to try out.

Thanks!

Phil
I have an CO-OM1100N2, the next size up. I did not like the stock Elixirs on it. Got a bunch of potential strings for it. But I'm happy so far with regular old D'Addario Phosphor Bronze strings (.12-.53) that I replaced the Elixirs with. Many recommended Martin Retro Monels and D'Addario Nickel Bronze for a warmer tone, but I'm in no rush to experiment. The PBs are quite well-balanced for my tastes.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I always wanted one of these. I would have ordered a custom with the N1 neck and no pickup but it’s too late now.

There is a ‘new old stock’ guitar at a store that is a few years old and $2300. Do you think that is a good price?
Yeah, that's as good a price as you're going to find. Supply and demand. Most new RS guitars were listed at closer (and over) $3k. $2300 is a used price. And they aren't making any more.
Old 03-24-2024, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

i bought mine as a boat guitar maybe 8 years ago or so. Didn't realize that i would like it so much. It's seen much of the Pacific and now has outlasted the boat. Sold the boat but will certainly keep the RS and I play it regularly. I added K&K pickup and I think it sounds exceptional plugged in. Thomastik enfield plectrums sound the best per my tests. Enjoy!
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 03-29-2024, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

I like Santa Cruz low tension strings on my RainSong. Sufficiently warm, nice feel, and long lasting.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-29-2024, 01:21 PM

I've had a shorty since 2015 and the N2 neck is perfect for me. It's really become my go-to guitar for anytime I'm not sure about weather, etc. My only complaint is that I wish it was white rather than black because it can get scorching hot in the sun.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Default RainSong CO-PA-1000NS

I have one I purchased used a couple of years ago. I love it! I find the neck very comfortable and tone outstanding for what I use it for, a take anywhere couch guitar.

If I’m out in a canoe with it, and lose a paddle, I can use it to get home !

To my ears, this sounds better than some poorly set up 70’s Martins I had back in the day. Of course I wish I still had some of them, but that’s another thread….
Old 04-23-2024, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I had a Tobacco Burst Rainsong PA and it was an outstanding little guitar. I sold it and went to the slightly larger OM size 12 fret Rainsong and then sold that guitar to get my current APSE which I really love as a travel guitar for a fingerstyle player.

We cruise on our sailboat and I wanted a smaller guitar than the APSE to leave on the boat so I got a McPherson Touring. Pretty guitar, well made with excellent craftsmanship but I just have not bonded with it. It feels and sounds tight. I might sell it and stay on the hunt for a used Rainsong PA again.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber