The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-16-2019, 05:10 PM

New for this winter's NAMM, apparently:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...order/18304000

Nice minimal look, I think.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
New for this winter's NAMM, apparently:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...order/18304000

Nice minimal look, I think.
I might head to Chicago Music Exchange this week-end.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

I have owned 12 PRS's and currently have 2. A new longer scale length 25.25" strat DC3, and a Rosewood neck McCarty. They keep in tune.

Plus column:

Looks, QC, tonewoods, fret size and material, great electronics. Their pickups only after 2009 did they get the core line PU's sounding woolier and delicious tonewise.
Nice features on some models with a piezo switch blend knob, above average split coil tones. Nice straight string thru to the tuners. Great locking tuners. Rolled smooth fretboard and fret ends. Usually a nice wide nut width and most have the widest 12th fret span 2 1/4" of the top 3 makers. Amazing ex employee machinist designer Mann tremolo bridges. Most PRS'es fretboards have a nice round 10" radius.

Minus column:

I would like a 1/32" wider string spacing at the saddle. (2 1/16" like Gibson is too narrow). The large frets are nice but can cause intonation issues with finger pressure. There is a pointy ridge that the flamed maple tops have right where your forearm drapes the body. Wish they had the more models with the long scale length (25.5"). Thier back of the neck finishes are not that smooth (so I have the bare, no finish, solid IR neck). Some are sticky including their V12 finish they introduced in 2012. You finger prints turn into yukky speed trap smudges during warm hot gigs.
Their humbucker PU covers tarnish quicker than any other maker. You can not clean the fingerprints after they start the corrosion process.

Oh and the best thing is they keep in tune during a lengthy gig.

For boutiques I love Tom Anderson's the most. But for USA production guitar companies the quality is very consistent with PRS's.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 PM

I have zero interest in PRS guitars. And that is in spite of the fact that I have a definite sense that they are probably made to a better quality standard than a comparable Gibson.

If I go looking for a humbucker or P90 type guitar, it is going to be a Les Paul. Even if I pay a little more and to get a little less, I would be getting a real Les Paul.

I currently own one electric, a Telecaster. If you offered me a guitar from somebody else that is a "better Telecaster style guitar," I am still going with the Telecaster. Its a Telecaster.

Last edited by rwmct; 01-16-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I have zero interest in PRS guitars. And that is in spite of the fact that I have a definite sense that they are probably made to a better quality standard than a comparable Gibson.

If I go looking for a humbucker or P90 type guitar, it is going to be a Les Paul. Even if I pay a little more and to get a little less, I would be getting a real Les Paul.

I currently own one electric, a Telecaster. If you offered me a guitar from somebody else that is a "better Telecaster style guitar," I am still going with the Telecaster. Its a Telecaster.
"probably made to a better quality standard than a comparable Gibson."
"Even if I pay a little more and to get a little less,"
"a "better Telecaster style guitar," I am still going with the Telecaster. Its a Telecaster.
"

Interesting perspective "Brand name loyalty" personified !

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-17-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
There is a pointy ridge that the flamed maple tops have right where your forearm drapes the body. .
Totally agree but have never heard anyone else say it. But I've also assumed people complained and that's why Paul started making models without that feature.

This is how I described it in my earlier post: Now, the only thing that sometimes gets me when playing for extended sets is the edge on the upper bout where my right arms hangs. It almost seems to cut into my circulation. The bevel on my Strat is much more comfortable

The green one with the 3 pickups is awesome. I wish mine had three pups and blade switch. But moneywise, I'm stuck with what I have
Old 01-17-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I might head to Chicago Music Exchange this week-end.
Might get there on Saturday pm:, Gonna be down at Flo and Santo’s
with the girls if it’s not snowing.

Great shop, no doubt
Old 01-17-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
"probably made to a better quality standard than a comparable Gibson."
"Even if I pay a little more and to get a little less,"
"a "better Telecaster style guitar," I am still going with the Telecaster. Its a Telecaster.
"

Interesting perspective "Brand name loyalty" personified !
I appreciate all guitars as musical instruments. But the ones I want to play connect me, somehow, to the albums I listened to, and the musicians I went to see, when I was a teenager and young adult.

In those days I always noticed the guitars I saw being played, even though it did not occur to me that I myself would or could ever play. Now that I play a little (you could say "butcher" and not be far off) I am drawn to guitars that elicit these connections for me.

Now, I confess that I can see myself getting an electric guitar other than a Fender or Gibson: Gretsch and Rickenbacker make those connections too.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I appreciate all guitars as musical instruments. But the ones I want to play connect me, somehow, to the albums I listened to, and the musicians I went to see, when I was a teenager and young adult.

In those days I always noticed the guitars I saw being played, even though it did not occur to me that I myself would or could ever play. Now that I play a little (you could say "butcher" and not be far off) I am drawn to guitars that elicit these connections for me.

Now, I confess that I can see myself getting an electric guitar other than a Fender or Gibson: Gretsch and Rickenbacker make those connections too.
First and foremost being Boomer born in 50 I completely understand the nostalgia and connection associated with that era of the perfect storm of music.

That said: having that nostalgia be the criteria for purchase of a musical instrument is very foreign to my perspective. How a guitar sounds , plays, and how it is constructed are the only criteria for me.

Just as in playing music , where imitating or replicating a sound or a song is not my goal, my goal is an honest performance of how a song makes me personally feel and a connection to what I hear in my head, (not some other artist's head , no matter how much I genuinely admire their interpretation of how the song makes them feel) And when playing out, hoping an audience can make a connection to my interpretation. Which is why I own Taylor and Breedlove for acoustics and a PRS for electric But the good news is YMMSV Your Milage May and Should Vary

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Default PRS Bashing?

I owned a custom 22 for 16 years. Recently sold it now I have a Majesty Monarchy to utilize the dual mag/ piezo output. The similar PRS was about $2000 more.

Never had anyone criticize me face to face. The most bashed brand I ever encountered in face to face conversation has always been Gibson, by hard core Gibson owners. Many didn’t like recent changes in their guitars preferring the ones from late 1960’s to early 1970’s, plus no love for the former CEO.

Never owned a Gibson, so often I would just listen and let the person rant.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
I owned a custom 22 for 16 years. Recently sold it now I have a Majesty Monarchy to utilize the dual mag/ piezo output. The similar PRS was about $2000 more.

Never had anyone criticize me face to face. The most bashed brand I ever encountered in face to face conversation has always been Gibson, by hard core Gibson owners. Many didn’t like recent changes in their guitars preferring the ones from late 1960’s to early 1970’s, plus no love for the former CEO.

Never owned a Gibson, so often I would just listen and let the person rant.
You're right - Gibson got hammered by hard core fans especially with their 2015 line-up. Lots of technical stuff on the guitars and there wasn't much choice to go with the more traditional aspects of Gibson guitars (i.e. non-robot tuners on the Les Paul Standard, zero fret, etc).
Old 01-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You're right - Gibson got hammered by hard core fans especially with their 2015 line-up. Lots of technical stuff on the guitars and there wasn't much choice to go with the more traditional aspects of Gibson guitars (i.e. non-robot tuners on the Les Paul Standard, zero fret, etc).
But the difference between Gibson bashing and PRS bashing is that Gibson's are being bashed by Gibson lovers for whatever reason, QA, changes etc.. while PRS are bashed for the supposed buyer of them. Apples and Oranges.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:51 PM

Default Understood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
.....Apples and Oranges.
Understood, Dru’s just agreeing to my perspective. Having owned a PRS for so many years the only place I’ve seen any PRS bashing is on the internet. Face to face it’s only been Gibson. That’s why this forum is really the only guitar forum I visit. People here seem to be more down to earth and real. Some others I’ve looked at I don’t care to participate as yes I’ve seen the PRS bashing, but never away from the computer. I find it somewhat sad that someone might turn away from PRS for fear someone is going to criticize them. Play what inspires you
Old 01-21-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
Understood, Dru’s just agreeing to my perspective. Having owned a PRS for so many years the only place I’ve seen any PRS bashing is on the internet. Face to face it’s only been Gibson. That’s why this forum is really the only guitar forum I visit. People here seem to be more down to earth and real. Some others I’ve looked at I don’t care to participate as yes I’ve seen the PRS bashing, but never away from the computer. I find it somewhat sad that someone might turn away from PRS for fear someone is going to criticize them. Play what inspires you
I hear ya loud and clear and certainly didn’t mean to sound so blunt. I’m actually just perpetuating a silly nonsense question I asked in the first place because who cares. In the end we all just love guitars. One Love!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 PM

I've had 13 PRSi. If you like a Strat, check out the John Mayer Silver Sky, highly recommended!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars