The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-11-2019, 09:13 PM

I have 2 PRS guitars, and I'm very proud to own them.

Others negative opinions of any of my guitars in my collection means nothing to me.

I buy and play what I want for MY enjoyment.

Here are my 2 PRS guitars.

'88 Goldtop "Special"

'09 DGT 10-Top

'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 01-11-2019, 09:14 PM

I like em a lot and in fact just bought another one. I like the tone, the look, the playability, QC, etc.

I’m not a doctor but still, I confess that I belong to that group that can’t really play that well. I’m sure there are a lot of Les Paul and Strat owners out there who play as badly as I do. What others think of me certainly won’t stop me from buying whatever guitar I buy.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
I like em a lot and in fact just bought another one. I like the tone, the look, the playability, QC, etc.

I’m not a doctor but still, I confess that I belong to that group that can’t really play that well. I’m sure there are a lot of Les Paul and Strat owners out there who play as badly as I do. What others think of me certainly won’t stop me from buying whatever guitar I buy.
You just bought that PRS you were talking about last week?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You just bought that PRS you were talking about last week?
Yes I did. Should arrive next week.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:33 AM

I have two PRS guitars. The first is a Blue SE converted to a Jerry Garcia style with three Dimarzio Super Distortion Humbuckers, push/pull pots for single coils, a six position pickup switch, and an on board effects loop.

The other is the McCarty Gold Top with Soap Bars.

I also have four Fenders, three Gibsons, and some Japanese guitars from the 60s.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:18 PM

I really loved everything about the '13 Custom 24 I had except for the overly heavy body, the reverse of neck dive.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Yes I did. Should arrive next week.
Sweet! Congrats and I look forward to a NGD thread.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:00 AM

I have a LONG history with PRS guitars. I started with a Custom 22, and over the years I've owned probably 10+ PRS guitars of every shape and size.

I finally settled on a PRS SC245. Mine was signed by Paul himself at an event and I just have never played a better sounding PRS. It is fat, beefy, yet is clear as a bell. No, it doesn't sound like a Les Paul, and it can be a little sterile at times, but it still has this bite and character, just enough to make it sassy.

I will probably never sell this guitar, but having said that, I am DONE with PRS electrics. I will not buy another one. I've had too many and most of them are pretty sterile and lifeless. There isn't really any character in my PRS guitars. They are too clear, too midrangy, and too just....well, blah. Pretty, but boring.

Where PRS shines to me though is when playing live. They cut through, they sound great, and they are easy to play/control. They clean up well, and just sound good live. Oh, and they stay in tune!!! Best live guitar ever.

Just don't expect to play one at home and get the satisfaction you get from playing a strat or Les Paul!

Old 01-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I have a LONG history with PRS guitars. I started with a Custom 22, and over the years I've owned probably 10+ PRS guitars of every shape and size.

I finally settled on a PRS SC245. Mine was signed by Paul himself at an event and I just have never played a better sounding PRS. It is fat, beefy, yet is clear as a bell. No, it doesn't sound like a Les Paul, and it can be a little sterile at times, but it still has this bite and character, just enough to make it sassy.

I will probably never sell this guitar, but having said that, I am DONE with PRS electrics. I will not buy another one. I've had too many and most of them are pretty sterile and lifeless. There isn't really any character in my PRS guitars. They are too clear, too midrangy, and too just....well, blah. Pretty, but boring.

Where PRS shines to me though is when playing live. They cut through, they sound great, and they are easy to play/control. They clean up well, and just sound good live. Oh, and they stay in tune!!! Best live guitar ever.

Just don't expect to play one at home and get the satisfaction you get from playing a strat or Les Paul!
Very interesting you say this because I absolutely play my Strat style guitar at home vs my PRS and always tell myself I'm going to also play it at shows but when show time starts I grab the PRS every time. There definitely is something to it that cuts through and sounds the best live. It just has a hotter fuller tone that works out nice and cuts through. I don't even really change the pickups all that much. I pretty much leave it in the middle position and go and switch to bridge for solos. At home I play the 3 single coils, which are my absolute favorite guitar tone, through a Yamaha THR 5 and am constantly switching the pickup selector around. The Yamaha does a fantastic job of showing you exactly what your pups sounds like. I dropped a set of Porter pickups in mine. 3 single coils and swapped my PRS Dragon humbuckers for Lollar single coils for humbuckers-I like the single coil tone.

TEXSUNBURST 59, beautiful guitars! Seeing how you have the old style wing tuners Like I do on your gold top, what's you opinion on the differences between the two? I once struggled with the wings but once I figured out how exactly they work, I have no problems with them now. I can do super quick string changes.

STEEL N WOOD, I get 100% of what you're saying. I was just curious and really feel the same way you do about Fender.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Very interesting you say this because I absolutely play my Strat style guitar at home vs my PRS and always tell myself I'm going to also play it at shows but when show time starts I grab the PRS every time. There definitely is something to it that cuts through and sounds the best live. It just has a hotter fuller tone that works out nice and cuts through. I don't even really change the pickups all that much. I pretty much leave it in the middle position and go and switch to bridge for solos. At home I play the 3 single coils, which are my absolute favorite guitar tone, through a Yamaha THR 5 and am constantly switching the pickup selector around. The Yamaha does a fantastic job of showing you exactly what your pups sounds like. I dropped a set of Porter pickups in mine. 3 single coils and swapped my PRS Dragon humbuckers for Lollar single coils for humbuckers-I like the single coil tone.

I hear you! Anytime I am playing live or with other music, I just can't play anything but a PRS. Now, I can play my Strat live without an issue, but I am not as at home as I am on the PRS. I will even grab the PRS at home if I'm playing with backing tracks. It just sits PERFECTLY in a mix.

I read an article a while back that described how Paul designed PRS guitars to be played in a band/mix context. He doesn't care about anything other than making the perfect "tool" for the musician.

Having said that, I figured out a little while back why PRS guitars sound great in a mix, but sterile at home. They are very clear sounding guitars, much akin to a Taylor acoustic. I don't like Taylors for that "at home tone" either, just like I don't like PRS guitars. However, put those guitars in a live situation or in a mix and they cut through like butter and inherently have all of the right frequencies for that application.

I played a Les Paul at a gig twice. It was awful. The tuning issue is almost a given with LPs, but the real issue was the tone and volume controls. There was no real audible difference live in the controls. With a PRS, I can clean up and get a really responsive sound with the controls. Not so with the LP.

As I type this I've pretty much solidified that I need to sell my Les Paul. I just really don't like them for me. They look good and sound amazing for some players, but I am not one of them.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:56 PM

Beautiful PRS. Out of curiosity, did you ever change the pickups in any of your PRSi to Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post

Old 01-15-2019, 11:04 AM

I am waiting on Harmonic Design to finish building V+ Soap Bars for my Gold Top Double Cut McCarty. One man shop was slammed at Christmas.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Beautiful PRS. Out of curiosity, did you ever change the pickups in any of your PRSi to Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, etc?
I changed pickups in my original Custom 22 and in one of the many (4 I think) SC245s I had. In the Cu22 I tried Dimarzio Satriani Pickups and 36th Anniversary PAFs. I liked the Satriani pickups a lot. I also tried PRS RP pickups that come in the Modern Eagles, and I tried Bare Knuckle Mules and Seymour Duncan Antiquities.

In one of my SC245s, all I tried was Mules. Overall I liked the Satriani and PRS RP pickups the best in the Custom, and prefered the Mules in the SC245 to the stock 245 pickups.

I didn't care for the Mules or Antiquities in either PRS, mainly because they were too thin and bright for PRS guitars. Now, Mules ROCK in a Les Paul!

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 01-16-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:22 PM

Paul Reed Smith saw an opportunity to move right in to the niche between Fender & Gibson and I think he did that brilliantly. His guitars in general, and mine in particular, are almost perfectly situated in that sweet spot and this was by deliberate design.

I tend to grab one of my Strats when I'm just running chops at home, but the tone & feel of my PRS 'Studio' (2nd gen core series) works perfectly for those tunes that need a little warmer tone than the Strats typically deliver.

Ans yes...they are stunning guitars with the best & most consistent build quality in the business. Also, the 57/08 pickups have to be heard to be believed...best humbucker pickups I've ever had the pleasure to play with.

Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 01-16-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Paul Reed Smith saw an opportunity to move right in to the niche between Fender & Gibson and I think he did that brilliantly. His guitars in general, and mine in particular, are almost perfectly situated in that sweet spot and this was by deliberate design.

I tend to grab one of my Strats when I'm just running chops at home, but the tone & feel of my PRS 'Studio' (2nd gen core series) works perfectly for those tunes that need a little warmer tone than the Strats typically deliver.

Ans yes...they are stunning guitars with the best & most consistent build quality in the business. Also, the 57/08 pickups have to be heard to be believed...best humbucker pickups I've ever had the pleasure to play with.
Love that color (I had a kawasaki samurai 250 that I custom painted very similar) sans the stripe's
And gotta love the outlined bird inlays very very classy.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars