The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-05-2019, 09:51 PM

More power to them. But why make a "Strat style"??? They should do their own thing. They have their own body shapes in the past.

Strats are made by Fender. If Fender did not make it, it is not a Strat.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
More power to them. But why make a "Strat style"??? They should do their own thing. They have their own body shapes in the past.

Why not? They've made some wonderful hollow guitars that have not all stayed in the lineup. Collings makes some interpretations of other enduring designs and some iconoclasts. Why not make what one of their endorsing or ambassador musicians want?

What I thought about their Strat-like guitar was it's different than making a Gibson-like guitar because my shopping always showed Fender having build and finish quality that so many Gibsons lacked.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Pretty simple : the reasons to make a " Strat style" are the same reasons as all the other makers who offer a "Strat style " guitar "Because they can"... Because many people like them , because many people are after tone not name, are not chained to a brand name, and do not care if the name on the headstock is Fender or not .... And the biggest reason, "because they sell", and in the case of the PRS Silver Sky, they sell as fast as they can make them. And BTW they already "Do their own thing " the Silver Sky is only one model among many ... So I guess the simple answer is really a question. Why not ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-06-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Well that's a pretty negative opinion. Suhr and Xotic make their own S style guitars and they are incredible. Who cares if it's by Fender as long as it's inspiring. The PRS Silver Sky did not wow me but I don't mind that it's on the market. It gives buyers alternatives.

Last edited by Petty1818; 02-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I think most players, whether they are a fan of PRS or not, would state that PRS has the most consistent quality assurance among Gibson/Fender/PRS. What I mean by that is you're less likely to pull a PRS off the wall and notice detail imperfections (i.e. binding imperfections).

On another note, I bought this book last year and it's a great read.

True but let's not forget the size difference in the companies. PRS guitars are still fairly small in production when compared to Gibson and Fender. A custom order PRS takes over a year to arrive. Even when a store puts an order in for models that PRS makes a lot of, they wait 6-8 months for them to arrive (this info is all from one of the largest PRS dealers in Canada). I will say this though, Fender guitars are pretty consistent. Gibson has issues but I don't usually pick up a Fender and notice problems.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:07 PM

I'm mostly an acoustic player but have some electrics, including 2 GLPs and a 94 Fender Am Std. Strat. Don't own a PRS (yet anyway). I've always held PRS guitars in high regard and haven't developed any negative stereo types regarding those who play them. I feel they have a reputation of being high quality guitars. You can buy basic Les Pauls and Strats for reasonable money or you can spend many times that on something custom. You can buy a PRS for reasonable money or go with plus tops.

These are the types of philosophical questions that help us to revaluate who we are.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Default PRS strats

I’ve gotta say I own a DC3, NF3, and Brent Mason signature PRS and they are all killer strat type guitars. The NF3 and Brent have Korina bodies, really unique pickup options and one of the best trems I have ever encountered. The DC3 is more of a strat clone but fantastic in its own right. The necks are fantastic, and the guitars stay in tune nearly as well as my carbon acoustics. PRS has been making strat type guitars since at least 2010. I saw Eric Clapton in NYC a few years ago and John Mayer was playing a PRS NF3 with him on Pretending.

I’ve owned several PRS guitars from the SE, S2, and core lines and have always been impressed with the quality and sound. They haven’t all been keepers but a few, like the NF3 and DGT really are.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So I guess the simple answer is really a question. Why not ?
Because it is bogus? Because they ought not to trade on Fender's classic design? Because, when it is called an "S style" design, it is an acknowledgement that it is not theirs?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Well that's a pretty negative opinion.
Indeed it is.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Because it is bogus? Because they ought not to trade on Fender's classic design? Because, when it is called an "S style" design, it is an acknowledgement that it is not theirs?
"Bogus" interesting personal perspective....
I guess you feel every Dreadnought guitar not a Martin, is "Bogus" and "trading" on Martins classic design. You would certainly fit right in at a Bluegrass jam

Personally I love "Bogus" options. I love to "people watch" when I show up at a BG jam with my Taylor 810 Ce . And when it's my turn to lead, start playing the classic Bluegrass tune "Get Over it " by the Eagles ... it is just so much fun

But .....No doubt Fender appreciates your brand loyalty

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 02-07-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:08 AM

Today I will get my McCarty from Scott Peterson, owner/builder at Harmonic Design Pickups here in lovely Bakersfield. Last week I picked up my MIM Butterscotch Tele with a set of his Vintage + pickups that he and I chose to replace the wimpy Fender Noiseless set. Amazingly articulate and hot, they are a vast improvement.

He is installing his Vintage P90s in the PRS along with new pots. I know I will get a lot more than the Duncans it came with. After playing an SG with Throbaks, Melody Maker with TTop PAFs, Brondel Strat, Les Paul jr, and the Tele, my brother told me the PRS was the best.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
"Bogus" interesting personal perspective....
I guess you feel every Dreadnought guitar not a Martin, is "Bogus" and "trading" on Martins classic design.
To a point. I am a bit confounded that Martin is building guitars that are shading into Gibson territory and both are building guitars to appeal to Taylor fans. I like Martins to be Martins and Gibsons to be Gibsons and Guilds to be Guilds. (Taylor is less on my radar screen).

That is one reason I like Rickenbacker. There is no confusion as to what they are. They are their own thing.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To a point. I am a bit confounded that Martin is building guitars that are shading into Gibson territory and both are building guitars to appeal to Taylor fans. I like Martins to be Martins and Gibsons to be Gibsons and Guilds to be Guilds. (Taylor is less on my radar screen).

That is one reason I like Rickenbacker. There is no confusion as to what they are. They are their own thing.
Somehow I don't imagine very many (if any) are actually "confused" as to , "what they are" when buying a Taylor, Gibson, Martin, Fender, PRS, Rickenbacker or any other brand.

To each their own..... Personally I can't think of a better thing for both the guitar consuming public, and the companies themselves , than aggressive competition within given design characteristic areas, nore a worse thing for everybody, than monopolistic exclusivity.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 02-08-2019 at 08:16 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars