The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2021, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Although I'm thinking it has to do with the number or complexity of the overtones a guitar produces, I'm embarrassed to say that I don't really know what is meant when acoustic guitar tone is described as Hi-Fi or Lo-Fi. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-14-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Although I'm thinking it has to do with the number or complexity of the overtones a guitar produces, I'm embarrassed to say that I don't really know what is meant when acoustic guitar tone is described as Hi-Fi or Lo-Fi. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks.
I am guilty of using the term in a negative way. In most cases, Hi-Fi is supposed to be an amp, home speaker system etc, that has a ton of clarity, is 3D, has a transparent tone etc. I think the issue is that sometimes amps, pickups & sound systems can be a bit too Hi-Fi so there's a ton of clarity/high end, at the cost of losing some bass. That's what I hear with the Anthem and many Baggs pickups. Just a really clear sound, but sometimes lacking in warmth.

Actually a good example is Taylor guitars. A more modern tone that can sometimes be a bit too trebly.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Definitely! I thought it might have been marketing at play, especially since the Anthem is a Baggs system. However, I have now listened to at least 5-6 demos of the Anthem SL with the Voiceprint and so far, they are my favourite results. I mean I like it so much that I am considering going back to the Anthem. My hope is that the VP will fix some of the things I disliked about the Anthem (a weird hollow mid range, somewhat hifi high end etc.)
There's no doubt that the VP has an advantage when versatile EQ capabilities are needed (as with my own Anthem SL rig). That said, I was quite impressed with the basic VP sound which Trey was getting with his D28 rig. I liked his non-EQed sound better than his mid cut sound and his low cut sound.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am guilty of using the term in a negative way. In most cases, Hi-Fi is supposed to be an amp, home speaker system etc, that has a ton of clarity, is 3D, has a transparent tone etc. I think the issue is that sometimes amps, pickups & sound systems can be a bit too Hi-Fi so there's a ton of clarity/high end, at the cost of losing some bass. That's what I hear with the Anthem and many Baggs pickups. Just a really clear sound, but sometimes lacking in warmth.

Actually a good example is Taylor guitars. A more modern tone that can sometimes be a bit too trebly.
Thanks, Scott. I've read Bob Taylor in Wood & Steel writing that a certain guitar has a Lo-Fi tone when describing its actual acoustic tone. If I remember correctly, he was mentioning this in relation to the Mahogany-topped/Tasmanian Blackwood 322ce or 324ce model, which tends to sound warm and non-brittle. Now, that I think of it, maybe Bob is the one guilty of initiating these Hi-Fi and Lo-Fi terms in describing acoustic guitar tone?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification