The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-20-2020, 12:26 PM

Sounds just like a plateau (as many have mentioned)!

However, you might need a new yardstick. You may be measuring yourself using a metric that no longer works for you.

There was a time when one of my measurements was how fast I could play. I realized that there would always be someone who practiced speed more than I.
I therefore could never aspire to do anything much in that realm. Once I gave that up, I freed myself to delve into many many other aspects of music.

Personally, I have learned to embrace the plateau. It is an opportunity to re-evaluate and reconnect with my love of guitar and music, and how to best engage with that.

Sure, it is often emotionally and psychologically wrenching. Many of us have identities highly grounded in guitar/music.

Growth is often hard. It is also necessary.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-20-2020, 01:57 PM

62 here and been playing for just over 7 years.
Sometimes I think "Good enough" is good enough.
Not everyone will be a Tony Rice.
There is no winner or finish line.
Only 5% of the population can even play one song.
Are you happy with where you are at?
If so, then good enough.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:05 PM

50 years, I have shoes that old... wait a minute, yep wearing them now.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:22 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Doug,

I disagree. I've been listening to your posts here and on soundcloud for a few years now. I think your playing has gotten more fluid. The stuff you do is very complex, and to my ears it grooves better now more than ever.
+1 on this.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-20-2020, 03:21 PM

I have noticed that when I feel nothing is improving, I need to look at what I am playing differently. As was mentioned earlier sometimes working on a song that I have played for years in a different key or rhythm will kick start the joy again. Sometimes just taking a break for a few days will do it. That is if you can let go of the guitar for a few days. It is hard to do.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

That phrase "I think I have peaked", has not been heard since the 1960's when "peaking" was an often occurrence that had nothing to do with guitars.

Regarding the subject matter, I don't know that I have peaked, but am sure I will start to "open up soon", based on what our governor was saying today.

My musical tastes have become firmer over time. I find myself gravitating away from straight fingerstyle guitar and more toward fingerstyle jazz. Personally, I like to listen to good melodic fingerstyle, but find it rather boring to play. I like the puzzle-solving involved in working with jazz harmonies and really enjoy studying that stuff and learning the vocabulary. So I am always venturing in new (to me) territory. Not having to play a fixed arrangement is a wonderful thing, especially when I have a poor memory for that kind of thing.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-20-2020, 04:07 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks for the support guys. I haven't had a break in a while. We usually take a long vacation each year where I don't play at all but that hasn't happened for a couple of years. Maybe a forced rest will help. As I mentioned Fur Peace was cancelled. That would have been this past weekend. It's usually a big boost so that's missing too. Lots of severe family stress so that doesn't help either.

I think I'm losing perspective.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:57 PM

I can relate. I have good days and bad days. I'm 45 have a 10 year old and 8 year old home all the time, all 60 of my summer gigs are cancelled, the weather has been super ****ty here in NJ. I think it's a combo of the covid blues, the uncertainty of the future, family and work stress. We'll get through it. This could be our mid life crisis which will pass..

And by the way your playing is great. I wish I had the patience to sit and learn songs like you know. I'm stuck in blue grass licks strumming the same chords I have for years. I'm ok with that. Trying out new guitars from time to time is a good distraction.

Last edited by peanutavalon; 05-20-2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:04 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I think your playing has gotten more fluid. The stuff you do is very complex, and to my ears it grooves better now more than ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
+1 on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
And by the way your playing is great.
Thank you Bob, Barry and peanutavalon. You're very kind. Not fishing for compliments but your words help me feel better.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 05-20-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:04 PM

I started playing guitar when I was 13. I'm now 56. I haven't peaked yet - I keep learning new things. The current corona situation is keeping me from my weekly jams with friends, but once again this is the best advice you'll ever get to help you continue to grow as a musician:

Play With Other People on a regular basis. Lessons help. Self study helps. Books, DVD's and workshops help. Practice alone is a must. But nothing I've ever done beats a regular jam with friends who include people more and less advanced than you.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:01 PM

Doug, have to agree with Bob and Barry and others that your playing has gotten a lot better. Do you ever swing back and listen to old recordings and realize this? This might help! Your material is not easy and I'll bet listening back would bring a realization to this.
I'm 73 (gulp!) and have played for 54 years.....albeit with breaks in there over time. These days I find that a "project" helps to get me jazzed up......the CD's I've done over the years have served this purpose (friends and family stuff). When I'm on the edge about proceeding with this, I intentionally TELL people this is what I'm going to be doing and this commits me to do the work toward this kind of project.....gets me off the ledge or plateau. In other words, I set myself up.....and then there's no "backing out" at least in the mind. It's a tactic I use to get me in gear.

Also, have you explored alternate tuning at all? One of the blessing of this is that guitars you own will explode with sounds you never realized were in there. Pick one or two......it could change things up for you and bring about a renaissance of sorts.

Yes, I certainly feel this is a temporary moment for you...... as they say,"this too shall pass"!
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-25-2020, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

One thing most hobby guitarists don't mention is that a professional plays constantly. Whatever your line of work is most likely you wouldn't be as good at it if you did it now and again. But when you do the same work day in and day out for long periods of time everything happens as it should more or less. But then if you worked at your hobby like you did your job it wouldn't feel a hobby very long. Even athletes have to time their peaks.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-25-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Since this is a guitar forum and enabling is a must around here, I am somewhat surprised that nobody offered the bottom sage advice for situations such as this:

You need another guitar!

There! It has been said, so the thread is complete.

Carry on my wayward son, there'll be peace when you are done...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-25-2020, 11:18 AM

I'm 74 and basically refining what I've already learned.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:53 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks for the support guys. I appreciate it. I'm just going to keep on keepin' on and let inspiration strike me again when it happens.

Hi Fred,

I do have 100+ old recordings on a thumb drive that I revisit at times, especially when re-recording a tune. I do find I prefer my newer recordings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write