The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-27-2024, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Scott, if you try the LR Baggs HiFi, why not, it's completely reversible if the tone isn't what you want, I advise doing the following: when aligning the two transducers on the supplied jig by straddling their bodies equally across the saddle line per instructions, skew them about a millimeter forward toward the soundhole to preclude any possible interference from the string ball ends. When I centered the transducers equally across the saddle line, my Larrivee D-40R JCL Special installation worked out well but my Larrivee D-50 JCL Special may have a bit of ball-end string interference on the E-6th string and I will likely redo the installation for this guitar. String ball-end interference with a transducer can cause some distortion in amplified tone.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-28-2024 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Scott, if you try the LR Baggs HiFi, why not, it's completely reversible if the tone isn't what you want, I advise doing the following: when aligning the two transducers on the supplied jig by straddling their bodies equally across the saddle line, per instructions, skew them about a millimeter forward toward the soundhole to preclude any possible interference from the string ball ends. When I centered the transducers equally across the saddle line, my Larrivee D-40R JCL Special installation worked out well but my Larrivee D-50 JCL Special may have a bit of ball-end string interference on the E-6th string and I will likely redo the installation for this guitar. String ball-end interference with a transducer can cause some distortion in amplified tone.
Thanks for the help! That's one concern I had with the HiFi. It seems as though there's a good chance of the pickup wires hitting the string ball ends. I will definitely take that into consideration.

I think my main concern is that I have a show in just over a week so I am considering holding off. I did order the HiFi but it would be hard to install the pickup and hope all goes well. The other side of me wants to try it on stage as soon as possible so I am on the fence.

I did see your Ibanez recommendation. A stage guitar would be awesome but I find these days, I don't buy instruments all that much so when I do, I want it to be a keeper. It would be so easy to get a Takamine or Cole Clark but I would rather put the money into a nice Boucher. There's also that goal where I just want to find a pickup I love.. if that's possible lol.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Scott, when you tried the Anthem SL, does it have a tweak stick that allows you to dial in how much or how little "TruMic" is sent? If not, too much of the TruMic can be rather thin, lean and bright (on my Full Anthem) But dial it down to your preference and that might get you there.

I have the HiFi in my Collings D1 traditional and ironically, I find it to be warmer than others have commented. I like that it offers more tone control and onboard volume versus a standard K&K pure mini. I also have found the K&K to be the more feedback prone than the HiFi (or Anthem). But I can still get any of them to feedback depending on volume and proximity to speakers. That said, the K&K feeds back easier which I find challenging. I also think the K&K sounds more like a Piezo than the Hifi pickup. (In my personal experience)

The thing I like about the HiFi is that it secures with their own adhesive and is rather non intrusive. If you don't like it, it should be easy enough to remove with little fanfare.

The reason I opted for the HiFi in my Collings D1 T is because I did not want to put an undersaddle piezo between the saddle and bridge plate. The Anthem uses that same Piezo mesh material like the Baggs Element. (if not identical)

I now have a Collings OM1 Cutaway and I'm trying to wait for the Baggs Duet (Hifi Pickup with a silo mic) But I'm getting impatient because I want to plug in and gig this guitar. For now I am sitting tight since I have other guitars I can gig with.
Thanks Gary! That's my thought as well, it's such an easy pickup to install and remove. I think what really got me thinking about it was the last show where my other guitar player had a guitar with a K&K style pickup. It was feeding back a bit, but the tone was much more natural and fat sounding compared to my Fishman Powertap. There are benefits with the Powertap in that it cuts better but the HiFi seems to have that same ability.

The SL was an odd pickup for me. I loved the Lyric, but missed the bass, I liked the full Anthem, but the SL just always sounded a bit too string heavy. I am not sure how to explain it. The tru-mic is such a good invention and I loved it with the Lyric but as part of the Anthem, it seems to be missing something and just really produces more of the string tone vs. the body/warmth I like. I did play with the little screw and either found I lost too much definition or had too much.

With that said, the one change I made was to try a bone saddle. I think that was a bigger issue as bone on a Taylor can accentuate the highs far too much and it was most likely amplifying that!
Old 03-28-2024, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The SL was an odd pickup for me. I loved the Lyric, but missed the bass, I liked the full Anthem, but the SL just always sounded a bit too string heavy. I am not sure how to explain it. The tru-mic is such a good invention and I loved it with the Lyric but as part of the Anthem, it seems to be missing something and just really produces more of the string tone vs. the body/warmth I like. I did play with the little screw and either found I lost too much definition or had too much.
I have had Anthem SLs in around 6 different guitars now and I have found that it can sound very different depending on the guitar....good or bad. Since the TruMic is the only variable, I think different body shapes, sizes and materials can all effect the TruMic part of the sound. The Anthem SL sounded great in a J45, 000-15M, but not so great in a Martin SC13e.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:38 AM

The problem with the Anthem, Anthem SL and Lyric Tru mic (for me) is that the baseline tone (not the blend of sources) is a one size fits all. It has to be. The sell it in mass quantities. The preamp’s EQ and compression are dialed in for the general player to avoid feedback and get a good sound. They’ve already cut and squished, and crossed over here and there to keep it from howling with feedback. It works to a large extent, but it might not be the sound you’re looking for. For folks who play quietly, it might sound a bit thin. I’m using the Lyric in one guitar right now, my 0000 and it’s good. In some PA systems and amps it’s GREAT with EQ and reverb. In others, meh. I’m considering pulling it for the K&K and using the same preamp with all my guitars. However, not to worry Caleb or Lloyd, I’ll be trying to use the Voice Print DI. [emoji12]
Old 03-31-2024, 07:35 PM

I run the HiFi in my local luthier built dread. I am very happy with the sound of it in a live gigging situation. I have run it through a large house system in a 500+ person venue and at the gigs I usually play with my EV 30M. You can check out some of the live vids on my channel to get an idea of what it sounds like live, as bestt you can on youtube anyhow.

The guitar is a torrified stitka spruce top with Honduran mahogany back and sides, just as an fyi of what you'll be hearing.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
I run the HiFi in my local luthier built dread. I am very happy with the sound of it in a live gigging situation. I have run it through a large house system in a 500+ person venue and at the gigs I usually play with my EV 30M. You can check out some of the live vids on my channel to get an idea of what it sounds like live, as bestt you can on youtube anyhow.

The guitar is a torrified stitka spruce top with Honduran mahogany back and sides, just as an fyi of what you'll be hearing.
I don't see any live vids on that channel??
Old 04-01-2024, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I don't see any live vids on that channel??
Click on the link to his YouTube channel and then select "videos" at the top. This will show the most recent ones. There are some live recordings there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification