The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-24-2021, 02:31 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Interesting. I've also been a long-term trekker (O.S., Next Generation, DS9 and Voyager) but haven't seen any of the most recent offerings (Discovery, Picard, etc). I'm curious to know at what point you found the franchise to have gone off the rails.
I enjoyed the subject matter of TNG at the start (The Measure of a Man, A Matter of Honor) but towards the end started riding off the rails.
Deep Spaz 9 seemed to be a soap opera with this big... metal... thing in the background.
Voyager was a combination of rehash and preaching and Janeway was an insufferably bad leader.
Enterprise wasn't too bad but by then my wife wouldn't tolerate it and we've bailed.

We've enjoyed most of the movies but the last of the reboots, Beyond, jumped the shark with force-fed preachy poop and non-Star-Trek detail excursions.

What was it W.C. Fields said? "There comes a time in the affairs of man my dear Blubber, when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation." The cost/benefit analysis eventually discourages sitting through the series waiting for the good to come.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-24-2021, 04:57 PM

I'm also a Star Trek fan. It's my "go to" science fiction universe.

-Enterprise: was okay, but character development never quite satisfied. Not sure why. Characters were mostly likeable/relatable, but...

-The Original series: awesome. Something new and exciting at the -time. Still totally watchable.

-The Next Generation: Loved almost all the characters. Loved the character development.

-Voyager: All good! Might even be my favourite! Seven of Nine!

-DSN: Also all good! It was nice to have everyone in place, versus traveling, and seeing how that might affected life in space. Enjoyed the Ferengi.

-Picard: Hmm. A bit disappointing. Nice to have the characters back, but I didn't appreciate the overt darkness. Part of the comfort of Star Trek was the humor, mostly happy endings, etc. Changing what was concluded/implied at the end of The Next Generation for the sake of "shock"/change was detrimental.

-Discovery: OMG. The first 2 seasons were atrocious. If you are going to attempt to change things around THAT much, don't go with an established world and start your own science fiction series. The only likeable character was Saru.

Third season was better and back on track - but I think they really ruined the Star Trek premise with the first 2 seasons. I will never unsee those ludicrous Klingons. Hopefully character development continues to improve in Season 4.

The movies were fun, but not as enjoyable as the series. Somehow they just never quite "fit" and tended towards silly - since the writers were always trying to come up with an even grander disaster to overcome.

Lower Decks - okay, but cartoons are cartoons.

Larrivee OM03...and representatives of other types!
Old 02-25-2021, 02:46 PM

Hey Barry, I thought the Borg were some of the best episodes. When you watch The Next Generation (TNG) make sure you don't skip over the Borg episodes - they're the best.

You're right, the first season of TNG isn't as good as the others. Also, the Riker character gets a lot better at about the time he gets his beard (is that season 3 or so)?

I'm a big fan of TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise. Never really go into Deep Space Nine though and I only got half way through.

Enjoy TNG!
Old 02-25-2021, 04:17 PM

Indeed, the Borg episodes were good - they're irresistible.

YouTube
Old 02-25-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Barry, I thought the Borg were some of the best episodes. When you watch The Next Generation (TNG) make sure you don't skip over the Borg episodes - they're the best.

You're right, the first season of TNG isn't as good as the others. Also, the Riker character gets a lot better at about the time he gets his beard (is that season 3 or so)?

I'm a big fan of TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise. Never really go into Deep Space Nine though and I only got half way through.

Enjoy TNG!

I think it was as early as season 2 but I could be wrong...

I remember reading some years ago that Frakes grew the beard for a stage show he was in and decided (or the producers decided) to keep it for Riker. Can anyone confirm this?
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-26-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I think it was as early as season 2 but I could be wrong...

I remember reading some years ago that Frakes grew the beard for a stage show he was in and decided (or the producers decided) to keep it for Riker. Can anyone confirm this?
Hey Pieterh, I googled as to why Riker grew his beard. Here's Frakes response. I didn't know that and it matured him on the show.

Source: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...0than%20normal.
"Frakes: What happened was there was a strike, there was a writer's strike after the first season, then we had a meeting with the cast and the late, great Gene Roddenberry, Berman and others. I had grown a beard because I hated to shave, and Roddeberry 'in his vision' said "Jonathan, I love the beard. It'll be nautical. But we'll shape it, and that way it'll be decorative"."
Old 02-26-2021, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I broke down last night and re-subscribed to CBS All Access. I'm going to try Picard.

I wonder why the Star Trek movie universe ignores Captain Janeway and her crew. I thought the show was right in line with what Star Trek was doing.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-26-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I broke down last night and re-subscribed to CBS All Access. I'm going to try Picard.

I wonder why the Star Trek movie universe ignores Captain Janeway and her crew. I thought the show was right in line with what Star Trek was doing.
I'm going to subscribe to CBS All Access one day but I think my next jump will be to Disney/Crave in Canada. I too want to watch Picard.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Hey Pieterh, I googled as to why Riker grew his beard. Here's Frakes response. I didn't know that and it matured him on the show.

Source: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...0than%20normal.
"Frakes: What happened was there was a strike, there was a writer's strike after the first season, then we had a meeting with the cast and the late, great Gene Roddenberry, Berman and others. I had grown a beard because I hated to shave, and Roddeberry 'in his vision' said "Jonathan, I love the beard. It'll be nautical. But we'll shape it, and that way it'll be decorative"."

Oh yes, now I remember! Thanks for sharing Dru!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-28-2021, 10:17 PM

IMO the best Star Trek was never filmed. The fan fiction of the 70s was pretty good. I was also an avid reader of the Bantam books. I also like some of the fan fiction that was on YouTube that CBS stopped. Not all of it, but New Voyages/Phase II and Continues were top notch with regards to production and writing - though some of the acting could have been better.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Any Star Trek serving with Counselor Troi in it, I am GAME ON!

Quote:
I knew the ending was fairly abrupt, but the series did lead into it a little with Neelix leaving the ship.

At least it wasn't as bad as the ending of Enterprise.

Onward to Star Trek:The Next Generation. A little sappy for the first couple of seasons if I remember correctly. I never was a fan of Riker. I guess I can watch a few of the movies too.

The only thing I don't like about the Star Trek universe is The Borg. I'll probably skip over those episodes.

On the movies - I really liked the first reboot with Chris Pine. I wasn't too happy with the redesigned ST universe where Vulcan was destroyed in the later movie. Oh well, maybe they will reboot the reboots, lol.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-01-2021, 02:54 PM

How about the Star Trek animated/cartoon tv show from the early 70s? Anyone watch that?
Old 03-01-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
How about the Star Trek animated/cartoon tv show from the early 70s? Anyone watch that?

Of course! Cheap animation but some fun stories - and the original cast doing the voices (after Nimoy insisted iirc).

My son and I are watching Below Decks at the moment. I really wasn’t sure after the first episode but now we’re enjoying them - typical American fast paced dialog (too fast usually) but a nice self-effacing satire fairly well done! Take it for what it is it’s very enjoyable.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-02-2021, 06:26 PM

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about the Star Trek universe is The Borg. I'll probably skip over those episodes.
Well, you won't want to watch First Contact, then. But, IMO, it was an excellent ST film.

As to Riker, as mentioned above, he got better once he grew a beard in Season II.

Walter Koenig's best acting was as Bester in Babylon 5, another great TV series.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
I've wondered the same thing. Maybe (and I'm just speculating) one of the main characters didn't want to continue in the Star Trek world.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic