The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 01:47 PM

Funny, I went into Music Emporium recently intending to buy a used J-200, only to find it was sold, so I figured I might as well audition some Martins while I was there. Knowing my budget was in the $3000 range, the sales guy pulled down a D-18, a D-28, and an HD-28. (I don't think they had a D-35 in stock.)

From everything I had heard about these, I expected to find the HD-28 too boomy and scooped, the D-18 maybe a little midrangey, and the D-28 just right. I was sure I would prefer the D-28. I would have put money on it.

I walked out with the HD-28. Best guitar I've ever played. The "scooped" thing is kind of misleading--it doesn't have a deficiency of midrange, it just has a bigger, more intense top and bottom than most guitars. It's "scooped" the way the Willamette Valley is scooped because it has the Cascades on one side and the Coast Range on the other -- but that doesn't make the valley a trench, it makes it a beautiful, fertile land with impressive eminences on either side of it.
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert
Old 01-23-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Funny, I went into Music Emporium recently intending to buy a used J-200, only to find it was sold, so I figured I might as well audition some Martins while I was there. Knowing my budget was in the $3000 range, the sales guy pulled down a D-18, a D-28, and an HD-28. (I don't think they had a D-35 in stock.)

From everything I had heard about these, I expected to find the HD-28 too boomy and scooped, the D-18 maybe a little midrangey, and the D-28 just right. I was sure I would prefer the D-28. I would have put money on it.

I walked out with the HD-28. Best guitar I've ever played. The "scooped" thing is kind of misleading--it doesn't have a deficiency of midrange, it just has a bigger, more intense top and bottom than most guitars. It's "scooped" the way the Willamette Valley is scooped because it has the Cascades on one side and the Coast Range on the other -- but that doesn't make the valley a trench, it makes it a beautiful, fertile land with impressive eminences on either side of it.
We'll see how you feel in 6 months. Parameters change. Strings. Temperature. Humidity. The acoustics of the room you're playing in.

FWIW I once went to a GC in Virginia Beach and played an HD-28 with high expectations. Next to it was a GC-MMV though, and to my ear it sounded vastly superior. It might've been the strings.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post

SJ 200 at Music Emporiums again - my favorite store by the way. I live in Boston.

I love my HD-28V as much today as when I got it - sound is still fantastic. I suspect it will need a neck reset eventually though. I'm seeing that with new Martins. Once you get them where you want them - they shift and there just isn't much bridge left to work with after and set up or two.

https://themusicemporium.com/product...-200-used-1996
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 01-23-2021, 06:57 PM

I have a D-18 and an HD-28. I’ll never sell the HD-28 because it was my grandfather’s, but I like the D-18 best.

2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 PM

I went through the same thing a few months ago. D18, D28, HD28 and HD35. I picked the HD28. To me it had the widest tonal range. That being said i also really like the D18. I plan to pick one up in a few months.

2020 PRS Custom 24
2018 Fender American Professional Strat
1996 Fender SRV Strat
Fender 60’s style Strat partscaster
Fender 50’s style Strat partscaster
Fender 50’s style Tele partscaster
Jackson Soloist
Old 01-23-2021, 10:15 PM

Already have a D-18. I’ve always wanted a mahogany Drednought. Love the sound of mahogany and D-18 is lighter than Rosewood guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion